IGNORED

What is going on???!!!

DarthWaderTroj

So, the safest place a duck could be this year is directly in front of my gun. I have no idea what is going on but I feel like I'm shooting blanks. When I go to the range I have no problem hitting clays, but I have missed more birds this year than ever before. Was fine during September goose. Could it be new shells? I need to pattern my gun and see what's going on. I welcome any ideas or suggestions but please keep the tough comments to yourself. My ego is already shattered enough. Lol

4 minutes ago, Wayne Trojanowski said:

So, the safest place a duck could be this year is directly in front of my gun. I have no idea what is going on but I feel like I'm shooting blanks. When I go to the range I have no problem hitting clays, but I have missed more birds this year than ever before. Was fine during September goose. Could it be new shells? I need to pattern my gun and see what's going on. I welcome any ideas or suggestions but please keep the tough comments to yourself. My ego is already shattered enough. Lol

Are you using after market chokes?   Maybe birds are a little further than u think

Focus on particular duck, if you see more than one when aiming you may think you’re on one and actually not.

Start from tail and swing to beak and fire while still pulling through. Most guys missing are shooting behind.Easy to miss high or low because flight angle can be slight yet deceiving and cause misses and swing through eliminates that

AWM

Don’t get depressed. We all miss. It’s just like throwing a football. Lead the receiver/bird and follow through like swinging a baseball bat. Faster the Duck faster the follow through. Those ducks are always further than you think. Stay positive and don’t overthink it. 

IMO, shooting clays often in the summer and well does not equate to more birds in the bag for the average guy in the winter. In my experience, many kind of 'black out' when it comes to a real bird in front of them, or a flock in front of them versus a clay. Plus more clothes in the way, you're in the marsh, not a cushy trail knowing where your targets are coming from. How many shots are you taking at birds on a given day and at what range? Are you kind of prepping yourself ahead of your shot or are birds catching you off guard? And if you're in your head about missing, you're liable to miss more and hyper focus on that and hopefully not missing, versus your mount and follow through on a bird to shoot it while accurately gauging the distance its at. 

If you don't know why you're missing in the moment when you do, that's part of the problem. You should be able to gauge by a bird's behavior if you are shooting in front or behind them fairly easily and adjust accordingly. We always want to blame the gun, the load, etc., but 99% of the time its on us for missing. 

1 hour ago, chenrossi said:

IMO, shooting clays often in the summer and well does not equate to more birds in the bag for the average guy in the winter. In my experience, many kind of 'black out' when it comes to a real bird in front of them, or a flock in front of them versus a clay. Plus more clothes in the way, you're in the marsh, not a cushy trail knowing where your targets are coming from. How many shots are you taking at birds on a given day and at what range? Are you kind of prepping yourself ahead of your shot or are birds catching you off guard? And if you're in your head about missing, you're liable to miss more and hyper focus on that and hopefully not missing, versus your mount and follow through on a bird to shoot it while accurately gauging the distance its at. 

If you don't know why you're missing in the moment when you do, that's part of the problem. You should be able to gauge by a bird's behavior if you are shooting in front or behind them fairly easily and adjust accordingly. We always want to blame the gun, the load, etc., but 99% of the time its on us for missing. 

No doubt I am not swinging and shooting behind passing birds, but I'm more miffed about the ones cupped up dropping into the decoys coming straight at me. I've missed 6 birds that should have been layups this year. Doing some looking back on each hunt this year, it is my first time working a jerk string and calling. I think that is affecting my readiness when it's time to shoot. Also I've been hunting with someone who has never hunted before so my plan is to try to get some solo hunts in  and just simply everything to get my confidence back.