IGNORED

Check your e-mail if you have a qualifying Buck for the 2023 Garden State Deer Classic, as I just received my invitation.

tpr1921

The Garden State Deer Classic will be held during the 2023 Garden State Outdoor Sports Show from January 12-15, at the New Jersey Convention and Exposition Center in Edison. The four-day event will showcase the outstanding deer harvested by hunters from the 2019–20, 2020–21 and the 2021-22 deer hunting seasons!  What a display it will be!

If you would like to display your deer at the 2023 Classic, please kindly respond by Thursday, December 15, 2022, so we can finalize the exhibit design. Please respond through this e-mail at NJDeerClassic@dep.nj.gov or call (908) 735-7040 x 213. (Email is preferred)

Hunters (or your designee) must bring the mounted deer or rack to the Garden State Outdoor Sports Show the first morning of the event during set-up, Thursday, January 12 between 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. (Once the setup crew leaves, no additional deer can be accepted for display, so please be on time.) Those using a two-part mounting bracket must bring both sides for the wall mount display.

Your deer will be on display at the Classic through Sunday when the awards ceremony will take place at 2:30 p.m. (Please arrive by 2 p.m.) All hunters may collect their deer at the close of the awards ceremony. Free entry for you and one guest is offered on Sunday, January 15, when the Award ceremony takes place. Hunters are listed under Deer Classic Hunters. When you arrive at the sports show lobby, first stop at the Exhibitor’s window for an entry wrist band or hand stamp.

I am on the fence to put my 2019 buck in which was #1 typical archery registered that year.  It's a major inconvenience to get it down there and back home...   Still deciding.  My buck last year had about 137 and change total inches (SCI score) but not sure on what the requirement for the classic even is and I never had it officially scored, so probably won't bother with that one either. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

4 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

I am on the fence to put my 2019 buck in which was #1 typical archery registered that year.  It's a major inconvenience to get it down there and back home...   Still deciding.  My buck last year had about 137 and change total inches (SCI score) but not sure on what the requirement for the classic even is and I never had it officially scored, so probably won't bother with that one either. 

125" net Jack. And you would have had to entered it in the state already> I think you did you 2019 one so you probably got the email

21 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

I did it once, and probably won't again.  Just a pain in the ass and for what?

Will there be someone at the show scoring deer? My bucks from this year do not qualify, but I’m still interested in what they score. My taxidermist thinks one might be close to 125” but is unsure if he hits that mark or not 

Edited by Ringtail

2 hours ago, Ringtail said:

Will there be someone at the show scoring deer? My bucks from this year do not qualify, but I’m still interested in what they score. My taxidermist thinks one might be close to 125” but is unsure if he hits that mark or not 

Yes there is. Usually 2 guys. Mark and John. Not 100% but they have been there scoring in the past.  

On 12/1/2022 at 10:07 AM, Ringtail said:

@Shug is usually there at the UBNJ booth and he is a scoring machine - (official P&Y).    Pre-arrange when he will be there. He has scored all my P&Y bucks

I shot a big 10pt once….

I replied with a tentative "yes". Someone talked me into it. If I am really turned off it will be the last time.  (assuming I ever shoot a qualifying buck again of course, perhaps the game passed me by I suck so far this permit bow season)

I shot a big 10pt once….

5 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

I replied with a tentative "yes". Someone talked me into it. If I am really turned off it will be the last time.  (assuming I ever shoot a qualifying buck again of course, perhaps the game passed me by I suck so far this permit bow season)

It should be good having 3 years worth of book deer there at once. Amazing some of the bucks here. They just need age and some definitely found some hiding areas.