IGNORED

I’m the last one with a tag

smittty

10 hours ago, smittty said:

It’s all about the hunt I’m not there to kill  I’m there just killing time. 

Nice take on the big picture why we hunt. I've had a wonderful time pursuing such magnificent animals in my lifetime been very lucky and blessed with many many havests, health and the lack of thrill caught up with me.

Love being here on this site living through the stories an hunts of the new beginners/youngins/Grandpa's and Dad'sgeneration. 👍🇺🇸

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Have a friend down here in south Jersey who owns some property. He isn't seeing much and is saying he thinks EHD. I didn't think so. I asked DFW though if they know of EHD down south and sure enough I was told they did put out a notice a couple months ago: https://dep.nj.gov/njfw/news-2022-09-16-epizootic-hemorrhagic-disease-confirmed-new-jersey/

So if you are in south Jersey and not seeing anything, could be EHD.

I normally hunt 4 different properties between 7, 8, 10 and 12. So far 3 does. Seeing some nice hood ornaments walking around at night, but daytime is slim. But someday I am hoping that one of them slips up and just maybe I will be there for it to happen. Heck in 2018 I finally shot my a buck on Dec 31 with the bow. 

I am the Lorax - I speak for the trees. 

I shot a doe over a month ago and passed on several small bucks but, have not seen a shooter yet while hunting. Have two on camera but, they're only at night. Hopefully, things will change for the muzzleloader season. 

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

It's been a weird season for me too. I've filled 2 buck tags and my freezers and friends' freezers, but I'm just not seeing deer down in the fertile valleys that used to be full of them. I don't know if it's EHD or a browse issue with the drought. Nonetheless, I'm seeing a ton in the rocky, moist, woodlands I like best. So instead of harvesting deer amid the McMansions and corn fields and horse farms, it's up among the rocks. Go figure.