IGNORED

Let's see your pictures from past seasons

vdep217

Dang GG, are you looking to adopt a son?  I'm available.  I'm really good at cutting firewood and I don't eat much.  I'll even sleep out in the barn so I'm not in the way.  

Right !  Maybe two, lol.  Definitely wouldn't mind pick'n his brain on some of those DIY hunts, those are the kind I'm interested in

Wow Gobblergetter, that's an awesome lifetime of hunts, you win!

Here are some of my recent ones. All bow kills, some private, some public land, all Ohio or NJ.

goodpic_zpsef652515.jpg

8pt_zpse1b674fb.jpg

2005_zps8zug035e.jpg

fieldshot_zps84e4224d.jpg

DSCN0311_zps072d3ce6.jpg

DSCN0345.jpg

DSCN0236.jpg

buck_zpse220ba08.jpg

DSC_0288.jpg

DSCN0161.jpg

DSCN0328.jpg

DSC_0298.jpg

DSCN0156.jpg

2007-OH_zps0eea7b0b.jpg

2006-OH_zps49c05615.jpg

2008-NJ.jpg

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

You got some great deer there DV1 !!!   :up:  :up:

Thanks. Love the shot of you with the buck and the recurve. Wish I was into taking pics back then. 

Been in a drought lately. Haven't killed a deer...any deer... with my bow in NJ for 3 years. We just don't have them like we used to.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Been in a drought lately. Haven't killed a deer...any deer... with my bow in NJ for 3 years. We just don't have them like we used to.

No we don't.  Up by me in zones 3 and 6 it was always pretty easy to get onto a couple of good bucks each year, but the last 5-10 years have seen a drastic drop off in both deer numbers and big bucks.  And we can't blame over hunting here like the more liberal zones, hunting pressure is way down compared to 20 years ago.  Zone 3 has only 1 doe day and antler restrictions and yet deer numbers continue to fall.  It's got to be a combination of our forests maturing and too many bears and coyotes.

Hopefully after the October bear hunt gets going we will see a reduction in fawn predation and an increase in our deer numbers up here.  

No we don't.  Up by me in zones 3 and 6 it was always pretty easy to get onto a couple of good bucks each year, but the last 5-10 years have seen a drastic drop off in both deer numbers and big bucks.  And we can't blame over hunting here like the more liberal zones, hunting pressure is way down compared to 20 years ago.  Zone 3 has only 1 doe day and antler restrictions and yet deer numbers continue to fall.  It's got to be a combination of our forests maturing and too many bears and coyotes.

Hopefully after the October bear hunt gets going we will see a reduction in fawn predation and an increase in our deer numbers up here.  

Yeah, I would suspect bears are a big part of the equation up there. We do have more coyotes now than 15 years ago, but I've been hunting some of the same areas since 1980 and our hunting pressure, for deer, is as high now as it's ever been. Years ago, small game was king. Guys loved rabbit and quail hunting. Now, seems like deer hunting is the only thing people do, and they do it a lot. before it was something you "also" hunted, now, it's all we do. I'm guilty of it too. I don't hunt much else any longer. 

In the last 15 or 20 years, the Division has done a great job of buying up some fantastic habitat, and adding it to the WMA system. Unfortunately, they have done a horrible job managing their lands for deer. The deer numbers are so low in many places, I don't feel right about shooting a doe...and I have no qualms with shooting does, I love to eat venison. Two of the places that went to WMA's were places I hunted before they became public, so I know how good the hunting was, and could be on those lands. 

There really is no justification for the early EAB bow season, unlimited antlerless tags, 6 buck tags, lengthy antlerless gun season with big deer drives, on those lands. The is no over-population problem, quite the opposite. There really needs to be a diametric change in thinking up there in Trenton but I'm not holding me breath it will ever happen. The number of hunters will fall drastically, eventually, and it will not be because of XBox or the iPhone...it will be because there isn't enough reward for the payoff in the deer woods any longer. If you want to get, and keep kids interesting in hunting, you have to show them a little excitement, and right now the squirrels are the only thing for them to see out there. 

Yoo Doug

There is some adrenaline filled moments preceding those pics of yours !

Congrats.....again and again...

Yeah, the deer are great but my favorite hunts were my 2 week, backpacking in the Colorado Rockies, bow hunts for elk. I never killed one but my brother did. We went too early for good bugling but saw fantastic country, and plenty of game.