IGNORED

Everyone wants to show up and shoot.

DarthWaderTroj

25 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Your first season or two u will want people you can trust as they will be doing most of the shooting while your working your dog

Not just trust, but bring guys that won't get annoyed at a new dog learning the ropes. My buddy had a new pup about 2 years ago - dog was just learning and having a hard time finding and retrieving birds. Your hunting partners will need patience - there will be times when you (and they) will lose chances at more birds because the dog will be out splashing in the water doing who knows what trying to follow your commands and looking for (but not finding) downed birds. Guys that "just want to show up and shoot" probably won't have the patience that will be required.

5 hours ago, Wayne Trojanowski said:

Why is it that everyone I ask to hunt with me is excited to go but never seems to want to take time to scout, or cut and brush in the blind. My phone must be broken and those texts not getting through...😐

20221004_160345.jpg

20221004_160354.jpg

20220922_104859.jpg

You are not kidding me an my buddy been working since Aug always people willing when season is open though lol 

16 hours ago, chenrossi said:

If you’re new to waterfowl, now you understand why everyone is so tight lipped about spots. No one wants to do anything til it’s time to go and they want you to hand feed them everything.

and chances are  if you do show someone a good spot the next time you hunt there you will have plenty of company:down:

Edited by bucky

38 minutes ago, Wayne Trojanowski said:

Why is that?

I may be wrong here but my understanding is that Phragmites is an aggressive invasive. The spread of it out competes native species and creates mono cultures.  Invasive Berberry has decimated the understory throughout parts of Hunterdon and Warren counties.  Knotweed has taken over parts of the banks of the Delaware. Phragmites is seemingly doing the same in many ecosystems.  I'd think by transporting them around you would be spreading the seeds. It's a big reason why NY has the "stop the invasives" program at boat launches. 

3 minutes ago, Scotty155 said:

I may be wrong here but my understanding is that Phragmites is an aggressive invasive. The spread of it out competes native species and creates mono cultures.  Invasive Berberry has decimated the understory throughout parts of Hunterdon and Warren counties.  Knotweed has taken over parts of the banks of the Delaware. Phragmites is seemingly doing the same in many ecosystems.  I'd think by transporting them around you would be spreading the seeds. It's a big reason why NY has the "stop the invasives" program at boat launches. 

Well...shit. Anyone want to help me tear down my blind. Lol.

4 hours ago, Scotty155 said:

Looks to me like phragmites, unfortunately.  Hopefully I'm wrong 

I was headed to give him the heads up. You’re correct. Phragmites is an aggressive invasive and while great for hiding in, spreading it around to areas it isn’t currently is less than desirable. Plenty of native species (spartina) that can be used and won’t risk spreading an invasive around. 

I actually have a whole landscaping worth of tall ornamental grass around my house that, every October, my buddies and me cut down and use on one of our blinds. In fact, we're getting ready for this annual "grass cutting and blind refresh" before opening day gets here :)