IGNORED

Frost seeding time!!

Saw this frozen crater ground this AM and reminded me it’s frost seeding time.

While shed huntin and scouting  late season deer yards when they were herded up and winter’s brittle woods reveal even the slightest of deer sign….I keep a bag of clover, chicory, or other food plot seed in my backpack to broadcast into the “English Muffin-like” nooks and crannies and let spring’s natural freeze and thaw tectonics work the seed into the ground in remote locations inaccessible to mechanical implements. 

DF568255-B17E-437C-9F48-E54FF64228CA.jpeg

Does any of the no till food plot stuff they sell work? Picked up a small bag in Walmart for $6 figured I’d throw it near one of the stands that my son hunts. Figure it can’t hurt maybe give them something to browse in when season comes? Theres plenty of sun there. 

I have to hit my clover plots also . I tried something different last fall . I seeded my brassica plot and then I also added clover , chickory and alfalfa to it at a reduced rate . I will frost seed those 3 seeds into the plot to fill the voids . Hopefully I will have less grass and weed competition with the fall seeding getting a head start .  

35 minutes ago, Rjtfd said:

Does any of the no till food plot stuff they sell work? Picked up a small bag in Walmart for $6 figured I’d throw it near one of the stands that my son hunts. Figure it can’t hurt maybe give them something to browse in when season comes? Theres plenty of sun there. 

Do you have a pic of the seed label?

www.liftxrentals.com

I used Thro and Grow last year. I cleaned out an area with a rake, weed eater, and blower. It came up decently but the weeds came back. Im going to do the same this year in the same spot but Im going to spray for weeds and see if it comes up better. Deer definitely used it and I had turkeys coming back to that area. I was happy but I see room for improvement

20210417_131153.jpg.fd95efb645cfc9b8344bc7b288393324.jpg

20210417_155000.jpg.fc9d60fd6ddee994bf4e7de930fb1cc8.jpg

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

10 hours ago, Rjtfd said:

For $6….anything is better than nothing….some seeds should take

I use Throw & Gro for my fall trail plots with great success. I first clear the leaves off, add lime and then spray with round-up to kill any existing vegetation in early August. I then come back at the end of August with a drag harrow to prep the ground before broadcasting the seed and fertilizing. Stays green and lush into January.

7-25-21.jpg.fb72c316d53a86f075ebaf6b2965cbb5.jpg1339695981_7-25-21newtrailplot.jpg.528f85a7e12d8331b407303e1ae46d46.jpg7-25-2021.jpg.02d9b831d1b96126d37695dddf7a6b5f.jpg1611437302_9-4-21trailplot.jpg.75b819fcbc4b0b6eac8a7e046c3fbe32.jpg112783873_9-4-2021trailplot.jpg.c04da211cae1e57f11cfa7d42a15a5e8.jpg

I did mine in late March/early April with the plan to re-seed later prior to fall. That is what I'm going to try this year. It took me a few years to get the turkeys back on the property, but the plot seemed to help. They started showing up on camera in April. Plot area is to the right of the gobbler. That's where he came out of

20210424_215509.jpg.a591be70757adb84d638fbe28467fc81.jpg

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

Not a food plot but march overseeding is old school for my Lawn been doing it every year But for the best results' I cast the seed During or on top of the Last Snow,  If Possible.

The Deer seem to approve of my Choice of seeds and leave a Minefield of Droppings 

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0012 (3).JPG

DSC_0004 (8).JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

Edited by 1957Buck

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif