IGNORED

need a "stuffed venison roast" recipe - what do you got?

mazzgolf

I have a couple nice venison roasts in the freezer. I never kept the whole roasts before; I always just ground them up.  But this year (since my butchering skills have gotten better :lookaround:)  I decided to keep them whole so I can try to cook them. Since I never cooked them before, I don't have any recipes. Some of you out there are good cooks and have some good recipes (I know, because I took some of the recipes you posted and tried them! :up:) So - what do you got?

I would really like to try a stuffed roast. I don't want to just put the plain roast in the oven or slow cooker (or even doing the ol' standby of wrapping them in bacon). I would like something that adds a bunch of flavor to the dish, and having a stuffed roast sounds like it would be really good.

Here's an example of something that looks interesting to me: Savory Stuffed Venison Roast. Anyone have a stuffed venison roast recipe like this but with different ingredients? I like a lot of spices and herbs, mushrooms, onions, cheese,  or even more exotic ingredients like chilpotles en adobo (that are still easy to find in the supermarket) or maybe even fruit like apples? I don't know exactly what I want to make, I just know I don't want to make a "blah" roast for my first one. :D

Can't help with a particular recipe  but I've stuffed garlic and or scallion in them. Take a long thin bladed filet knife. Poke 2-3" holes. Stuff cloves of garlic or a 2-3" piece of green onion.  

If you thaw a roast and don't find a roast recipe you can always cube it for stew or cut into long flat thin pieces and fry up some cutlets. 

What cut is the roast? 

The sirloin (football) is not the best for stuffing. The way it's layered, it's likely to fall apart when you open it to stuff it.

The top round or bottom round would be better for stuffing, just butterfly them lay your ingredients, and close them back up, secure with twine.

I did a large backstrap once with diced mushrooms, spinach and Boursin garlic ad herb cheese. Came out great. I usually save the football for classic roast beef style venison, or Mississippi roast, and the top and bottom round for pastrami. Neither could be described as "blah". :)

DSC01255.thumb.JPG.3a0636d50e546ef4323f09e2692d1f99.JPG

20181213_085450.thumb.jpg.c3ae2e89ebc5bad3c6ba4020df28da1a.jpg

20181110_112719.thumb.jpg.54256398607557244c7ade53342955c6.jpg

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

I really enjoy doing a reverse sear on the charcoal grill with some wild cherry wood chunks. 

Set grill up to cook 225-250 with smoke wood. Cook meat to 120-125, usually take a hour or two depending on size. Take them off and let them rest while the you get the grill hot enough to sear (like scorching hot!) Sear them off flipping them over a few times and keep them moving. 

Can serve as a whole, sliced or my favorite is to slice, put on a bun with some sweet peppers and onion cooked with some wine vinegar in cast iron on grill while meat is cooking, top with cheese and put open bun in oven or under broiler. Some Mayo or steak sauce or both and you got yourself a real treat!

the roasts are real good if you cook it right !!!  I usually just stuff them with Garlic and cook in over to internal temp of 120 . Take it out of oven and let rest for a little and slice it like roast beef  add some gravy and sautee up some peppers and onions and put on a roll and BAM !!!!!!!!!!!!!