IGNORED

Shotgun thoughts?

DarthWaderTroj

10 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

Assuming he wants to look at a semi-auto for his first gun, one thing that I didn't pay enough attention to when I bought my first semi-auto is gas vs. inertia. I would recommend at least learning about the difference.

I bought a Beretta A300 and loved it. Still have it. Used it for small game, crow, upland, and waterfowl the past several years. But it is a gas gun, and the piston assembly and everything around that gas valve would get dirty quick and I would want to clean it constantly. I have no idea how it would shoot if you do not clean it on a very regular basis, I never let it get bad for fear it would start to clog up and malfunction.

I started having a little problem with the A300 last year (though I think I fixed it - and it was not related to the gas system). Because of that, this year I wanted an inertia gun to try out... and so bought a Franchi Affinity 3.5 (which, BTW, I couldn't find under $700... I don't think the Affinity will be in his price range of under $700). The Affinity is an inertia gun - been using it for small game, crow, and waterfowl so far. Haven't cleaned it except for the deep cleaning I gave it when I first brought it home. I'll have to take a look inside soon just to see, but so far so good, which is expected since all that gas isn't re-routed back into the gun. I didn't shoot it a TON, but maybe I put 5 boxes of ammo through it (shot a bunch to break it in and shot some trap with it before taking it out and hunting with it the past couple months). If I shot 5 boxes through the A300 before cleaning it, I'm sure it would still function, but cleaning it would take me a while (I'm anal, I like that piston assembly and parts around the gas valve to be as shiny and clean as possible when I'm done - lots of gunk builds up on it).

Anyway - long story short, research gas guns vs. inertia guns. If you are a person who doesn't like to disassemble and clean your guns a lot, it is something you should consider.

The Stoeger is an inertia gun, BTW.

I'm recommending he get a pump as he is new to hunting. When I first started I used a semi auto and found I was shooting too quickly. The pump action slowed me down and allowed me time to adjust for the second shot after I missed the first. 

2 minutes ago, Wayne Trojanowski said:

I'm recommending he get a pump

In that case, he'll definitely be able to find a gun in his price range. I would first check out Benelli SuperNova.

Just make sure he understands that with a pump he won't be able to get off quick followups, but as you say, it might help slow him up and take extra care on that first shot, knowing that he'll have a more difficult second shot what with having to take the time to pump and get that second round (or third) in the chamber and the gun pointed back on target.

(FWIW: my  first SG was a pump also - Rem 870. That is now relegated to being just my slug gun for deer - I bought a rifled barrel with a scope for it. It's a great slug gun! :)).

Another vote for a 3500 stoeger . Mine gets the crap kicked out of it. In n out of the boat , in muddy fields for honkers , laying on the cold / wet / frozen ground for snows … it just keeps ticking . 

only thing I did was upgrade to the benelli extractor when I saw my factory one wearing weird but it’s a $7 part and 5 minute swap ! 

It shoots everything I give it without hiccup . 

I understand the valid arguments for an auto-loader for waterfowling, but don't completely discount a pump. I've used a Browning pump since the 80's. Though I'm just in the woods now, I hunted coastal for many years. It's simple, and with practice you'll get very quick and handy with it. Quality clothing that doesn't bulk you up too much in the frigid conditions help.

BTW ... REAL guns are made of walnut and blued steel. :)

Sons and I have been using 870's for years- salt water/mud/rain/snow guns always go bang- only issues we run into is if the brass on the shells we have used have a bit of rust to them, after being fired they won't eject- when I remember i dab some gun oil at bottom of barrel to prevent that- usually happens in January when it gets cold.  

11 hours ago, jerseyducker said:

Sons and I have been using 870's for years- salt water/mud/rain/snow guns always go bang- only issues we run into is if the brass on the shells we have used have a bit of rust to them, after being fired they won't eject- when I remember i dab some gun oil at bottom of barrel to prevent that- usually happens in January when it gets cold.  

I had a few fte with Estate Target loads from my 870. Heads were not rusty though and it was shot 8 to 12 this happened with. I threw the rest of the box in the trash.