IGNORED

Looking to build an archery range in my basement.

Horn63

Hey Guys I am looking to build an archery range in my basement and I am looking for idea's. I know Rhinehart makes their brick wall product that looks nice but really pricey. Has anyone built an indoor range? If so what did you use for a back stop? The basement is not finished so I could mount something to the floor and the ceiling joists.  Thanks 

21 minutes ago, Horn63 said:

Hey Guys I am looking to build an archery range in my basement and I am looking for idea's. I know Rhinehart makes their brick wall product that looks nice but really pricey. Has anyone built an indoor range? If so what did you use for a back stop? The basement is not finished so I could mount something to the floor and the ceiling joists.  Thanks 

Well it was a long long time ago.

True story.. I helped build targets for a range called Butts and Bows in Belleville New Jersey. It was the brainchild of somebody I don't know who but with their ingenuity it didn't cost a lot and it worked great for many many years. Just have to replace the cardboard sometimes but it wasn't often takes thousands of shots!. I'll try to do the best I can to give you a rough idea you'll figure it out. First you need to build a decent base preferably out of wood. Approximately 2 ft by 4 ft. I know I will be back editing this to add in more detail but basically here's the materials needed..  square 2x2 galvanized stock the ones with holes on both sides, enough for four corners standing up about 5 ft high. Mounting brackets  for the square tubes and lag bolts to the wood base. 4 6 ft I believe 3/8 threaded rod. Nuts and flat washers. To 2x2 steel angle irons for the top. Lots and lots of corrugated cardboard. Available at most big box stores or factories with containers for recycling. That could take a while to cut my hand unless you have a friend in the printing industry with a big cutter. Well time for assembly.

Here it is to give you a basic idea. Build your metal frame start with the threaded rod drill holes in the four corners of the platform put the rod in the holes put the nuts and large watches at the base of the rods underneath the base attach your brackets on the top of the base for the square tubing you might have to drill holes in the brackets put the tubing in and bolt the tubing into the brackets. For the height length of the tubes and the threaded rod make sure the threaded rod is about 2 feet higher than the tubing. Pile up your pieces of corrugated cardboard till they're at the height of the threaded rod now with your angle irons you drill a hole for the threaded rods drop the angle irons on the threaded rods in the front and the back of the cardboard put your big washers on your threaded rod with your nuts now get your wrench preferably a box wrench where the ratchet box wrench and just start tightening her down back and forth a corner at a time as tight as you can get it even if you have to put a pipe on the wrench as an extension for leverage. As far as the back you can run pipe off the sides of the square brackets and make a bracket in the back and hang up the real heavy rubber mats. Trust me if you do it right and you get that cardboard compacted enough it will stop your arrows and the beauty they pull out like butter. Well that's it for now until hope you found this helpful and hope you build this project it would make me happy and you also and Rusty likes pics! 👍🇺🇲

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

1 minute ago, Nadornati said:

I have a little bow shop down in my basement. Not really a “range” but I can shoot 14 yards. Horse stall Matt behind a rinehart. I shoot at least 1 arrow every single day. 

504A4D18-35C2-4B0A-BEE8-4C71F92BD95E.jpeg

DA1C5302-8E89-4E14-AAA6-D46B586731EF.jpeg

Can't you blow out the wall and make it a little longer? Lol..Wish I would have seen this before I did all my typing, Now I got to take a nap:banghead:.. That's excellent!👍🇺🇲

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

19 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

True story.. I helped build targets for a range called Butts and Bows in Belleville New Jersey. It was the brainchild of somebody I don't know who but with their ingenuity it didn't cost a lot and it worked great for many many years. Just have to replace the cardboard sometimes but it wasn't often takes thousands of shots!. I'll try to do the best I can to give you a rough idea you'll figure it out. First you need to build a decent base preferably out of wood. Approximately 2 ft by 4 ft. I know I will be back editing this to add in more detail but basically here's the materials needed..  square 2x2 galvanized stock the ones with holes on both sides, enough for four corners standing up about 5 ft high. Mounting brackets  for the square tubes and lag bolts to the wood base. 4 6 ft I believe 3/8 threaded rod. Nuts and flat washers. To 2x2 steel angle irons for the top. Lots and lots of corrugated cardboard. Available at most big box stores or factories with containers for recycling. That could take a while to cut my hand unless you have a friend in the printing industry with a big cutter. Well time for assembly.

Here it is to give you a basic idea. Build your metal frame start with the threaded rod drill holes in the four corners of the platform put the rod in the holes put the nuts and large watches at the base of the rods underneath the base attach your brackets on the top of the base for the square tubing you might have to drill holes in the brackets put the tubing in and bolt the tubing into the brackets. For the height length of the tubes and the threaded rod make sure the threaded rod is about 2 feet higher than the tubing. Pile up your pieces of corrugated cardboard till they're at the height of the threaded rod now with your angle irons you drill a hole for the threaded rods drop the angle irons on the threaded rods in the front and the back of the cardboard put your big washers on your threaded rod with your nuts now get your wrench preferably a box wrench where the ratchet box wrench and just start tightening her down back and forth a corner at a time as tight as you can get it even if you have to put a pipe on the wrench as an extension for leverage. As far as the back you can run pipe off the sides of the square brackets and make a bracket in the back and hang up the real heavy rubber mats. Trust me if you do it right and you get that cardboard compacted enough it will stop your arrows and the beauty they pull out like butter. Well that's it for now until hope you found this helpful and hope you build this project it would make me happy and you also and Rusty likes pics! 👍🇺🇲

Thanks Bob. I will send pic's when I am done!

26 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

Worked great when bows were much slower . 
shoot a carbon arrow out of a newer bow 

the ferrule cement holding the cardboard together melts to the shaft and glues it in place . 

best target for inside is a quality bag target with replaceable bag 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

6 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Worked great when bows were much slower . 
shoot a carbon arrow out of a newer bow 

the ferrule cement holding the cardboard together melts to the shaft and glues it in place . 

best target for inside is a quality bag target with replaceable bag 

Oh Dan you're such a party pooper.

Solution:

https://www.lancasterarchery.com/blog/four-products-that-make-arrow-pulling-easier/

17 minutes ago, ithaca10 said:

I shoot 15 yds in my basement with a block as the target 5 arrows a day working on my release. No broadheads. Butts and Bows in Belleville belong to their hunters club.

Yes Sir Mr.Ithica.That Hunter's League was great!!. Moving Target night once a week, you could come anytime during that day no lines no waiting. Smokey would keep my score. I shot instinctive with feathers it didn't matter if the cock was up or down whatever came out of that quiver whichever way that knock was going was on the string. I was shooting 3 arrows to everybody else's one or two.I'm going to pull a Jack here and unhumble myself a little bit but I can't resist.I had the highest moving Target score in the history of the league I believe it was 730 something out of a 1000.

Edited by hunterbob1

2 hours ago, Horn63 said:

Tried doing the same, wife wasn't happy.

Yeti.jpg