IGNORED

Eco Diesel

Killerbee

1 hour ago, Killerbee said:

What is your guys thoughts on going Eco Diesel with the fuel prices going up? 

Diesel is still higher in price , and you can buy alot of gas for the difference in the price of the truck .

Big diesel truck only pays for itself if your towing a lot of heavy stuff .

‘the lighter eco diesel would need to get way better gas mileage to reach a break even point .

‘today’s gas engines are reliable and routine services are way cheaper than on the diesel

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

29 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Diesel is still higher in price , and you can buy alot of gas for the difference in the price of the truck .

‘the lighter eco diesel would need to get way better gas mileage to reach a break even point .

‘today’s gas engines are reliable and routine services are way cheaper than on the diesel

100 percent true. 

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

When I bought my truck three years ago I was on the fence about diesel.  @hammer4reelspeaks the truth above.  The engine also added $9K to the cost of the vehicle.  If I were hauling all the time it might make sense, but I am not.  So I went with gas.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Chevy  and Ram are offering 1500's with Eco Diesels at the same price as the v8's. AND/Or you can get them at the same price as the v8's.

Estimated 24 city and 30+ highway.

My lease is up on my  2019 Ram 1500 CC Off Road with 3.92 Rear.

I get 15mpg everyday driving.

Eco Diesel Ram = Estimated 26 gallon tank at 823 miles on the Highway

26 gallon tank at 624 miles city.

Current Ram = 390 miles per tank.

Diesel price would have to be double that of Gas for it to be a even tie.

Yes, you can get the Eco Diesel model out the door for the same price as v8 gassers.

hope that explains my question more. :happy:

Thoughts?

Edited by Killerbee

12 minutes ago, Killerbee said:

Chevy  and Ram are offering 1500's with Eco Diesels at the same price as the v8's. AND/Or you can get them at the same price as the v8's.

Yes, you can get the Eco Diesel model out the door for the same price as v8 gassers.

Thoughts?

I believe your comparing prices of the CLASSIC dodge line up with a diesel .

‘the diesel is a 7400 dollar add in according to dealer info .

I get 21 mpg with my gas Ram 19.2 all around .

so the diesel would need to get 25 or better to just break even on actual Money spent on fuel as diesel is 10-15 percent higher .

having the big diesel all my  normal services , oil changes etc are almost double the price .

7400 bucks buys  almost 2500 gallons of gas . So that’s about 50K miles for free .

‘the engines of both styles is going to well outlast the body of the truck ..

Garage kept you can get a few more years out of the body 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

17 minutes ago, Killerbee said:

Thoughts?

The unknown is the cost of fuel.  Before Obama, diesel cost less than gas.  Biden is Obama 2.0, so I am guessing it might become more expensive.  Double?  I don't know.

When I was looking for my truck I couldn't get MPG ratings (2500 and larger trucks don't have to conform to EPA fuel regulations), so I used an app called Fuelly to see what other people were getting mileage-wise.  This is what the Ram 1500 diesels are getting:

1045468828_ScreenShot2021-03-16at10_05_36AM.thumb.png.ea1b6f524db81288646f169fed352915.png

That's pretty good mileage.  It'll be even better if you plan on hauling things.  By comparison, my 2018 RAM 2500 can get 14 MPG on the highway, but goes down to 9 MPH when hauling two quads on a double-axle trailer (highway miles from NJ to NH).  If I had gotten the diesel engine, I probably would have gotten superior mileage.

If you're solely worried about mileage, this engine is the clear winner.  I don't know what diesel prices are going to do over the next four years, but my gut tells me they are going to skyrocket; but all fuel prices will.  If you're not going to haul anything, get the smallest axle ratio you can to maximize fuel efficiency.  If you are going to haul things, you have to sacrifice MPG for the hauling capacity.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

I have a buddy who has the 1500 eco diesel and loves it. He went from a 2500 diesel down to this, he travels all over the U.S. to hunt and says he gets 27-28 mpg. He tried talking me out of buying my 2019 2500 Cummins, the only downside to the eco diesel is the tow capacity. If I didn’t have to tow a 14,000 lb trailer on the regular I would have went that route. That being said my daily driver is a Toyota Tacoma. Because as stated above diesel trucks are more expensive for maintenance. My Cummins oil changes and filters cost about three times the cost of my Tacoma with doing it myself.

While I generally agree with this, I have to say I paid 54k for 17 f250 xlt diesel, crew cab 8 foot bed. F250 gassers were only a few thousand less at the time unless you went to a way scaled down model. I can’t speak for ram or gm. I use to get single digits towing 4K with my gas 250. That was unacceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally don’t have any skin in the game with the eco diesel . I had a buddy who bought one in hopes of getting great gas mileage and ended up having a bunch of issues . Ultimately he got rid of it and wished he hadn’t gotten the eco diesel . 

My ‘15 1500 5.7 got phenomenal gas mileage, averaged 27 on the way to Vermont and I got about 19 around town . Which was on par or better than he got with the Eco diesel . 

I personally don’t have any skin in the game with the eco diesel . I had a buddy who bought one in hopes of getting great gas mileage and ended up having a bunch of issues . Ultimately he got rid of it and wished he hadn’t gotten the eco diesel . 

My ‘15 1500 5.7 got phenomenal gas mileage, averaged 27 on the way to Vermont and I got about 19 around town . Which was on par or better than he got with the Eco diesel . 

That’s ridiculous. In a great way. My wife’s 4 cylinder Subaru doesn’t even get that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk