IGNORED

Any one use a cast iron skillet

Liv2hunt

home made potatoes and tuna steaks tonight. first picture is one of my lodges cooking the potatoes with onion, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper

KIMG1904.thumb.JPG.13a70143036b5e9ee640289fd28e9487.JPG

tuna steaks are cooked in my wagner. salt,pepper, and dill

KIMG1906.thumb.JPG.da02259967348bf2ffb4c77635d5032d.JPG

KIMG1907.thumb.JPG.7f0d238a68fbd42b69ba84a3a4e0ed41.JPG

one of my favorite dressings for fish

KIMG1908.thumb.JPG.8881546f3f3d5c57d3decbc64478551f.JPG

and served with my homemade cole slaw

KIMG1909.thumb.JPG.ba0be66c505e0f859852cdf0b6d85c72.JPG

KIMG1906.JPG

i clean my cast iron using this method:

put the cast iron skillets back on the burner until the cooking surface is smoking. get your tap water going as hot as your tap water can get. remove the hot iron and rinse in the hot as hell tap water forming a steaming affect. gently scrub with only a plastic brissel brush. the rinse again. if your skillets are well seasoned then everything comes off doing it this way. afterwards dry the skillets with an old t shirt(not paper towels, paper towles leave behind lint). then light coating of oil while the skillet is still warm(not hot). i then hang my cast iron on hooks. never put them in drawers or cabniets. 

2 hours ago, Kype said:

put the cast iron skillets back on the burner until the cooking surface is smoking. get your tap water going as hot as your tap water can get. remove the hot iron and rinse in the hot as hell tap water forming a steaming affect. gently scrub with only a plastic brissel brush. the rinse again. if your skillets are well seasoned then everything comes off doing it this way. afterwards dry the skillets with an old t shirt(not paper towels, paper towles leave behind lint). then light coating of oil while the skillet is still warm(not hot). i then hang my cast iron on hooks. never put them in drawers or cabniets. 

Careful with that. If there is too much of a temperature difference in the water the cast iron could crack

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

2 minutes ago, Bucndoe said:

Careful with that. If there is too much of a temperature difference in the water the cast iron could crack

no it will not. i work with all grades of cast iron at work. removing and installing electric motors encased in cast iron housings using rose bud torches at 3,000 degrees.  you would need that cast iron glowing red and then quench it in COLD water for it to crack. the heat from a stove top and hot tap water is nothing for a cast iron skillet. you are only creating a steaming affect thus cleaning the surface.

9 minutes ago, Kype said:

no it will not. i work with all grades of cast iron at work. removing and installing electric motors encased in cast iron housings using rose bud torches at 3,000 degrees.  you would need that cast iron glowing red and then quench it in COLD water for it to crack. the heat from a stove top and hot tap water is nothing for a cast iron skillet. you are only creating a steaming affect thus cleaning the surface.

Not with my luck, I baby my cast iron pans to the point the Princess ain’t allowed to clean them. She can cook in them, but I clean them

Edited by Bucndoe

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

4 minutes ago, Bucndoe said:

Not with my luck, I baby my cast iron pans to the point the Princess ain’t allowed to clean them

i dont get your comment. but anyway, a stove top temp, and hot as hell tap water will only create a steaming affect on your iron and cleaning it. no need to worry about the iron cracking or warpping. 

8 hours ago, Kype said:

i dont get your comment. but anyway, a stove top temp, and hot as hell tap water will only create a steaming affect on your iron and cleaning it. no need to worry about the iron cracking or warpping. 

The Princess is my wife

13 hours ago, Kype said:

I use hot water from the faucet, sponge and plastic brush if needed. Usually two wipes with the sponge and that is usually enough. Yes I use paper towels to dry it, then oil,  and it goes into cabinet:shock: 

Edited by Lunatic

i use them for cooking everything, pizza , cornbread , brownies , steaks. , roasted chicken , breakfast potatoes list goes on . I season with organic Flax seed oil .or Crisbees stick found on amazon .  Another way to season is cook a pound of fatty bacon on medium heat this will start the process of opening the metal’s pores to season/seal. 

1E0933C3-6B98-47F8-AA6B-372B4B41B4F4.jpeg

A5394D2B-1C1E-4F28-A062-AEB250B2427D.jpeg

BCFA82F5-9061-4EA8-82AE-B63126D19C1F.jpeg

Thanks

21513043-9DC6-46C6-8E4F-A6FDD1C6F30C.jpeg

6CCAE706-AFF3-4A9E-AE8E-0855EC8D9B8C.jpeg

Edited by Nanuk