IGNORED

Any one use a cast iron skillet

Liv2hunt

I have cast iron pans from as big as 15 1/4" to as small as 3 1/2", also a cast iron dutch oven.  I use my cast iron in the oven  and on the grill all the time.  When the weather forces me to cook inside I preheat my cast iron frying pan in the oven at 500 turn the broiler on put the steak on the frying pan put it under the broiler for 2  or 3 minutes flip it put it under the broiler again for another 2 or 3 minutes and then check for desired doneness.  All I put on my steaks are some seasoning, butter, and brown sugar. 

I am currently in the process of reseasoning all my cast iron. 

The more you use your cast iron the more you will like it.

Always. I cook everything on them. It needs to be seasoned and cared for properly

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

I have 3 pans - large, medium, really small (for sauteing onions or making an egg or something).

Seasoning is like an art and a science - google and you'll find a bunch of articles on how to season. I actually bought Flaxseed oil (from amazon because I couldn't find it anywhere else) because I read an article that went all science-y and claimed it was the best type of oil (for a variety of reasons) for seasoning cast iron. I have no idea if its accurate - but it was on the Internet so I believed it :)  Actually, the America's Test Kitchen people tried it and said it was amazing how it worked. See: https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/5820-the-ultimate-way-to-season-cast-iron

Anyway - make sure you do a really good initial seasoning. Seen a bunch of people do several repeat seasonings before using it for the first time. I know I did. I think you have to keep using it to finally get a good non-stick surface... it won't be a good non-stick surface the first few times you use it. Just continue to season it and care for it after each cook and it should eventually work out.

I have a ceramic coated cast iron Dutch oven for roasts it is great that’s a le crueset, I cook everything on my lodge iron skillets love them, just rub some olive oil after I rinse it, just recently bought a stainless steel chain mail type “rag” to clean it much better than the plastic scraper lodge makes for them. 

Edited by james7

I use cast iron for just about everything.   I have some old vintage pans that are my go-to's.  One is round and one is square.  I have no idea what brands those are, I know that they were my great-grandmother's though. A round griddle and a rectangular griddle.  A LeCreuset cast iron wok.  A cast iron dutch oven.  Cast iron pizza stone. Probably more...

I have some stainless pans and carbon steel pans for sauté, but everything else gets cooked in cast iron.   

My daily-use pans are the Wok and the 12" round vintage one i can make anything in either of those

24 minutes ago, Liv2hunt said:

Thanks fellas I just seasoned it twice so far.. I am looking forward to cooking some steaks this week 

Do it again. The more coats the better

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

24 minutes ago, Liv2hunt said:

Thanks fellas I just seasoned it twice so far.. I am looking forward to cooking some steaks this week 

the lodges i bought years ago were brought to work and i put them in the shot peener. then i grinded them smooth. new lodge skillets are somewhat rough on the cooking surface. then i seasoned them myself

my wagners from my wifes grandma are smooth as glass