IGNORED

Looking for Deer Legs

smungung

2 hours ago, OMC said:

Not true Venison Shanks are fantastic. Funny this thread popped up since I have a shank defrosting for Osso Buco tonight! 

Yea he’s got the shank confused with the lower portion I’m asking for. Love osso buco enjoy your meal tonight!

Smungung

44 minutes ago, hemlock said:

My friend from Burma i  used to save him all my friends deer legs and mine as well. He said his relative made medicine with the hooves and used the leg for other stuff pretty wild.

That’s pretty interesting, I’m just using them to make game stock thats all.

Smungung

1 hour ago, AtcoJG said:

Pretty sure anyone butchering deer wouldn't care if you took some. They pretty much just throw them away.

Didn’t think to look with butchers! Thanks for the recommendation.

Edited by smungung
Misunderstood your reply first time around

Smungung

2 minutes ago, smungung said:

High gelatin game stock.

COOL! Good for you using every part! I just saw this on the TV show" Life below zero."The woman made a bunch of  gelatin from the hooves of a Caribou.  She used fire to remove the hard part of the hooves and then boiled the soft tissue underneath.She said it was from the ancient indigenous tribes and is delicious!  

9 hours ago, smungung said:

Nope, but what’s honestly more funny is people giving others shit for using a part that was most likely gonna get thrown out anyway. Kinda goes against my personal sportsman’s ethic of use every part of an animal possible. But you know that’s just me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Good point smungung.

Can you share with us how you use them?  Osso bucco? I often put them into a "Dzik" or "Tzik," a great Yucatecan Indigenous Mexican recipe with a little Caribbean influence. Another great recipe for them is a Peruvian "seco."  Check them out, folks.  People from south of the border are often forced to find tender and tasty ways to use the pieces North Americans often throw out. Check your gut pile too. Lungs rock in a white white and tomato sauch. Younger deer liver is great, older deer liver OK.  Barbecued marinated heart is a delicacy. Seared kidneys as long as it's not an old buck, and you've stripped off the outer membranes, are great with a stout. 

7 minutes ago, JFC1 said:

Good point smungung.

Can you share with us how you use them?  Osso bucco? I often put them into a "Dzik" or "Tzik," a great Yucatecan Indigenous Mexican recipe with a little Caribbean influence. Another great recipe for them is a Peruvian "seco."  Check them out, folks.  People from south of the border are often forced to find tender and tasty ways to use the pieces North Americans often throw out. Check your gut pile too. Lungs rock in a white white and tomato sauch. Younger deer liver is great, older deer liver OK.  Barbecued marinated heart is a delicacy. Seared kidneys as long as it's not an old buck, and you've stripped off the outer membranes, are great with a stout. 

Man, all of the above sound amazing!!

45 minutes ago, chenrossi said:

98B2DA11-45A1-4F55-B3CE-04642CA9CE7B.jpeg

If you buy the parts you possess the parts!

The REGULATION says no person shall have in possession...

Now read the law...

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2019/title-23/section-23-4-27/

23:4-27. a. No person shall sell or purchase wildlife, except as authorized pursuant to this section or any other law or as may be authorized by rule or regulation adopted by the division...

Unless prohibited or restricted by rule or regulation adopted by the division

or any rule or regulation adopted pursuant thereto, provided that the wildlife was taken and possessed in a lawful manner.

provided that those parts or products are from a white-tailed deer that was taken and possessed in a lawful manner.

For the purposes of this section, "sell or purchase" means to sell or offer for sale, possess for sale, purchase or agree to purchase, receive compensation, barter or offer to barter, trade or offer to trade, or transfer or offer to transfer, or conspire for any of those purposes.

Edited by nickmarch

10 hours ago, JFC1 said:

Good point smungung.

Im only buying the lower portion of the leg to make game stock, the part for osso bucco is the shank which cannot be sold unfortunately. 

Smungung

22 hours ago, Buck154 said:

I don't think ANY part of a deer can be sold in NJ. Can be giving/donated but not sold

Incorrect. Its in Title 23 what can be possessed and sold

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."