IGNORED

May 5, 2020 Check In

BHC

In 15 with my son.  Not a single sound. 7am comes and a gobbler is going nuts. Hammering at me  with every yelp I make. Literally walks up to the blind on my son's side. 7-8' away. No joke.  Good solid bird. He didn't like something. Starts clucking and walks 30 yards behind the blind.  Makes a wide loop. Comes into 40 yards. Will not commit to the decoys at 20 yards.  My son didn't feel comfortable with shot so he passed.  Went back and forth with calling but he moved off.  Hope he comes back. 

Edited by Swamprat

Set up on one right off the roost in z10. Planned for him to cross the creek and work down like he's done in the past but he never worked down today. Hung up around 60 yards. Moved to another spot with two birds gobbling hard. Snuck up a creek and got to about 50 yards from them, just on the other side of a bunch of pricker bushes. Couldn't see them but they were close. About 5 minutes later they come working down the wood line. Stopped the one at 37 yards......swing and a miss. No idea wtf happened. Snuck out back through the creek with them still gobbling. Going to give them a day or two and get after them later in the week. 

set up on a gobbler, thought he was coming my way, then boom(someone else shot), no more gobbles.....Jake meandered towards me....but wasnt interested in him......off to work

Paul M. Ross

REALTOR

Coldwell Banker Sales Associate

908-943-8842

PAUL THE PAINTER

INTERIOR PAINTING

HUNTERDON/WARREN COUNTIES

908-943-8842

2 hours ago, BHC said:

yet another silent day here in zone 2. I did hear a bird gobble 4 times very far i assume it was on the Pennsylvania side....start taking a stroll soon. Chilly with a breeze

A silent day in the woods is not a bad thing Joe. Will not see a gobbler from my view this week, I assure you. All good.

GL to all that are out. Pork Rollers catching up to the Taylor Hammers...

20200505_084714.jpg

Well he never came back.  We know where he came from and where he went. Will try again on Thursday. 

We did track a bird down a road. Tracks were in our tire tracks so we knew it was fresh.  Lol. 

He walked down a road and cut off into a pretty wet swamp.  I knew the road wrapped around this swamp.  We made the 10 minute walk. Soon as I hit the slate he responded.  In a 10 minute period he gobbled a half dozen times. He got with 60 yards but would not Cross the road. Next time will set up on his side of the road.   Lol. He will be plan B on Thursday if plan A doesn't work out.  

Fun morning with my boy. 

7 minutes ago, Swamprat said:

Well he never came back.  We know where he came from and where he went. Will try again on Thursday. 

We did track a bird down a road. Tracks were in our tire tracks so we knew it was fresh.  Lol. 

He walked down a road and cut off into a pretty wet swamp.  I knew the road wrapped around this swamp.  We made the 10 minute walk. Soon as I hit the slate he responded.  In a 10 minute period he gobbled a half dozen times. He got with 60 yards but would not Cross the road. Next time will set up on his side of the road.   Lol. He will be plan B on Thursday if plan A doesn't work out.  

Fun morning with my boy. 

Good luck Thursday! Hope you guys connect. 

I'm your Huckleberry :devious: