IGNORED

Truck Mods - Are They Worth It?

yoda4x4

Remote start came stock on my truck and I've never used it i enjoy letting her warm up by my own doing. Light bar would be great if u use the truck at night. Loading unloading can be dangerous in the dark.  But like everyone else says if u like it then do it. Value is in the eye of the beholder. Keeping busy during this time has to have a value. Will you get the money out of it if u sell eventually hell no lol.

Good idea-I have a 2012 F250 and the high beams are HORRIBLE.  My wife has a 2015 Sienna Minivan and when you flip the high beams on the whole roadway all the way out the limits of your peripheral vision are lit up brightly as well as way down the road in front of you.  The high beams in my truck aren't even as good as the low beams in the van.  There is an LED retrofit kit you can buy for use with the OEM headlamps, but I think it's north of $800.  

Agreed. I didn’t realize how bad my F250 lights were until I put on the aftermarket light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a stock remote start.  Great in the winter to warm the vehicle up.  Mine also activates the heated seats and steering wheel.  Remote start is most helpful after a night of icing.  Rather than spend 10 minutes scraping the shit out of your windows, the warm truck usually melts most of it off by the time I get out there.  You have to remember to leave the heat on high when you park the truck outside.  Otherwise the cab won't heat up as quickly.

I have a lighter plug in the back of my cab so the passengers in the back seat can charge their devices.  I bought a two-port USB lighter plug with 6' long heavy duty cables to match it.

My truck's fog lights are pretty good.  I am considering upgrading the headlights to LED, but am not sure that's really going to make a difference.  I would not install a lower light bar because it would rip off driving through the snow.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

I have a stock remote start.  Great in the winter to warm the vehicle up.  Mine also activates the heated seats and steering wheel.  Remote start is most helpful after a night of icing.  Rather than spend 10 minutes scraping the shit out of your windows, the warm truck usually melts most of it off by the time I get out there.  You have to remember to leave the heat on high when you park the truck outside.  Otherwise the cab won't heat up as quickly.
I have a lighter plug in the back of my cab so the passengers in the back seat can charge their devices.  I bought a two-port USB lighter plug with 6' long heavy duty cables to match it.
My truck's fog lights are pretty good.  I am considering upgrading the headlights to LED, but am not sure that's really going to make a difference.  I would not install a lower light bar because it would rip off driving through the snow.
The light bar I'm considering doesn't hang out at all. It's installed behind the lower grill section (see link below). If that gets ripped off, the front of my truck will be destroyed.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/2016-2020-toyota-tacoma-stealth-light-bar-kit.html

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, yoda4x4 said:

The light bar I'm considering doesn't hang out at all. It's installed behind the lower grill section (see link below). If that gets ripped off, the front of my truck will be destroyed.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/2016-2020-toyota-tacoma-stealth-light-bar-kit.html

David

Oh, okay, it's over you bumper.  I had the wrong impression it was below that.  Looks like a neat add-on!  Would probably help for early AM drives to your stands.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

10 minutes ago, stratocaster said:

Now there is a man who has the ability to think and think in terms of trade-offs.   Good decision. 

Wasn't my decision it was my woman. Before I met her the only magazine type I prescribed to was sports afield and outdoor life. Hers was money magazine. She retired as a scientist at hoffman-laroche Nutley with 25/50 just before they closed the gates.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

I will be first to admit- I have a truck and dont do much Man stuff with it outside of hunting and fishing. Remote start is amazing for frigid duck hunting mornings. My bed liner was getting messed up so I got a spray-in liner. I love it. Some guys hate them. Nothing moves in the bed. I will look into lights bc mine are not bright compared to my wife's vehicle. 

4 hours ago, yoda4x4 said:

So with all this time at home, I've been looking at a number of websites more than usual. And the result of it is that I'm strongly considering adding a number of mods to my new Tacoma. They are:

1) Remote start which includes option to start truck using my cell phone. Cost $538.

2) The truck has 110V/400W outlet in the bed of the truck. I'm looking at Installing an in the cab outlet. Cost ~ $100.

3) Adding light bar to the front behind the lower bumper. Cost $380.

Are any/all these mods worth it? What mods are? And what mods should I consider?

David

I just installed the remote start on my Tundra from 12 volt solutions https://www.12volt.solutions/ and it was a breeze.  The thing I like about there stuff is you use the original remote that came with your truck.  Just plug it in a go, the whole installation took 45 minutes

"Your short on ears and long on mouth"

2 minutes ago, Mr12gauge said:

best thing I did was mount led bed lights. 

This was one I was going to say . I have not done it yet but I can’t tell you how many times I’ve rummaged through the bed of my truck using a cell phone or a head lamp . 

I did an LED headlight “conversion” on my ram and that was night and day difference . It’s an older truck but the LED plug and play lights I put in were an amazing upgrade . The downside is , It took a bit of adjusting of the housing angles to get people to stop flashing me even with my low beams on . A buddy of mine gave me an LED light bar setup also , for those mornings we set goose spreads , and it’s been a great upgrade . Especially for the people who still flash me with my low beams on .....  

best thing I did was mount led bed lights. 
Bed lights are a great addition, but fortunately for me, my truck comes with a bed light located at the top back of the cab that lights up the bed and was factory installed.

David

5 hours ago, Swamp_Yankee said:

Good idea-I have a 2012 F250 and the high beams are HORRIBLE.  My wife has a 2015 Sienna Minivan and when you flip the high beams on the whole roadway all the way out the limits of your peripheral vision are lit up brightly as well as way down the road in front of you.  The high beams in my truck aren't even as good as the low beams in the van.  There is an LED retrofit kit you can buy for use with the OEM headlamps, but I think it's north of $800.  

Look at Raxiom. I have a 14 F150 with their LED headlights and fog light bulbs and I never use high beams. Paid $150 both at Americanmuscle.com. had for 4yrs now no issues