IGNORED

Chainsaw sharpener

Lunatic

2 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

looks like its ok for quick touch-up but it is not hitting the rakers (depth).   The Stihl system is about $39 on amazon, and does as good or better than factory sharp in about 10 minutes on my 18" MS-360.    It does rakers and teeth in unison.    The most important thing is using the right size file.  It has to be exact for the chain size you are using

I am going to search to see what this thing looks like.

15 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Interesting,  how do they compare when it comes to sharpness and holding an edge?   

I read about this system a while ago but never used it. I wouldn't recommend using it on a regular chain, even for touch up. The top of these cutters are slightly concave, not flat like the cutters on regular chains.

11 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I am going to search to see what this thing looks like.

they have come up in price but for cost of pro-sharpening a chain, mine paid for itself in one weekend.   A local Stihl dealer may have it for the $39 I got it for at local Stihl dealer.. Again - chain size has to be exact.    Also Stihl is very proprietary on their equipment so it may be only designed for Stihl chains.  If you have a Stihl - no worries.   I would check with a dealer to see if it can work on a Husqvarna, homelite, etc...

https://www.amazon.com/Stihl-2in1-Chainsaw-Chain-Sharpener/dp/B010JJNOUE/ref=sr_1_4?crid=CO39Q5IYJR4Q&dchild=1&keywords=stihl+2+in+1+chain+sharpener&qid=1585226956&sprefix=stihl+2+in+1+shar%2Caps%2C177&sr=8-4

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

2 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

they have come up in price but for cost of pro-sharpening a chain, mine paid for itself in one weekend.   A local Stihl dealer may have it for the $39 I got it for at local Stihl dealer.. Again - chain size has to be exact.    Also Stihl is very proprietary on their equipment so it may be only designed for Stihl chains.  If you have a Stihl - no worries.   I would check with a dealer to see if it can work on a Husqvarna, homelite, etc...

https://www.amazon.com/Stihl-2in1-Chainsaw-Chain-Sharpener/dp/B010JJNOUE/ref=sr_1_4?crid=CO39Q5IYJR4Q&dchild=1&keywords=stihl+2+in+1+chain+sharpener&qid=1585226956&sprefix=stihl+2+in+1+shar%2Caps%2C177&sr=8-4

Thanks, I do have a 20" Stihl

19 minutes ago, Pathman said:

Can someone go through the process of sharpening your chain while in the field using it? 
I hit my with a file after each fill up, but by next fill up it’s dulling already. Is that typical? 

it's because you never are touching the rakers... As you wear deeper into the teeth, if you don't take down the depth gauge "in sync" - it just gets worse and worse.   The Stihl 2-in-1 takes care of that equally and evenly with each stroke.   I can do it on a stump, or back of my quad, without a vice, in 10 minutes now with this new sharpener.    Just a stroke or two on each tooth and it's like brand new chain (or possibly better). 

"after each fill up" - don't ever let the chain touch dirt (or rock).   I generally go 6 or 7 tanks before touching up and not really needed just more OCD...  (unless I mess up and hit dirt or rock)

Edited by JHbowhunter

I shot a big 10pt once….

9 minutes ago, Rusty said:

First of all,  WHY ARE YOU ALL NEEDING TO SHARPEN YOUR CHAINS SO FREQUENTLY???

Stop cutting dirt and rocks!!!  

I buy one new chain each year ($30.) and it lasts all year.  I easily cut 8+ cords with a new chain without it needing to be sharpened.  Y'all are doing something wrong.   

Yep, one slip into the dirt and its over

8 cords without sharpening?!!! I don’t generally hit the dirt, can’t say it never happens however, but if it does it’s a split second contact, I can’t see how you can cut 8 cords of wood with no impact on the blade but 2 seconds in the dirt and the chain is shot? Don’t make sense to me, but you “up north boys” are the experts for sure. 
mill try one of those new sharpeners and be more conscious of the dirt. 

thanks!

2 minutes ago, Pathman said:

8 cords without sharpening?!!! I don’t generally hit the dirt, can’t say it never happens however, but if it does it’s a split second contact, I can’t see how you can cut 8 cords of wood with no impact on the blade but 2 seconds in the dirt and the chain is shot? Don’t make sense to me, but you “up north boys” are the experts for sure. 

thanks!

trust me - take a brand new chain, even on near-idle speed if that chain touches dirt, it's done.  Rusty is right on 8 cords, but I just touch mine up more often than he does,  because my OCD is worse than his and I do hit dirt on occasion.    And filing down the depth gauge in sync with the teeth is just as important as the teeth, you were making it worse and worse every time you hit it. 

I shot a big 10pt once….

10 minutes ago, Pathman said:

Nothing cuts better than a new chain, but just touch the dirt once and your new chain is no longer new.  My saw came with a 25" bar and I replaced it with a 16" to give me better control.  

P.S.  Cutting dirty wood is the same as cutting dirt.  That's why I let Jack and Tarhunt cut up Jay's nasty old logs that were frozen into the ground.  :D

Edited by Rusty

18 minutes ago, Pathman said:

thanks!

In 2 seconds your entire chain will plow through dirt