IGNORED

for those with barns and animals

i have a 2 stall barn that i keep chickens in one barn stall and a couple mini pigs in the other.  unfortunately, our mini pigs choose to mostly piss and crap in the corner vs going to their outside area.  they also move the hay all over, so i am always shoveling out the hay trying to keep the ground open to air it out.  my question is what is a good product to sprinkle into the dirt to keep it dry and keep odor away where they go the bathroom.  also what do you guys do with the hay/straw you use as bedding once you change it out?  i have been dumping it into the woods on my property but it doesnt seem to compost down quick and i dont want to end up with a giant pile as time goes on.  looking for suggestions on a way to either dispose of it.  i guess worst case a couple contractor bags and out on the curb, but i rather not go through that effort of bagging it.    

20 minutes ago, Livesintrees said:

How much work do you find the chickens to be? I want chickens. And a then a fainting goat for my dogs to be confused about 

I find the chickens to be super easy depending on your goal. Meat birds or egg layers. We have 10 egg birds about 1.5 yrs old that my wife came home with one day from tractor supply. Took about 20 weeks to start getting eggs and get about 6-10 a day during peak season. Still get eggs dAily but way less in winter depending on the breed.  I turned one horse stall (12’x12’)  into the “coop”. I put hardware cloth on the ceiling and walls to prevent anything from getting in. I use a few gallon nipple waterer with a plug in heating element when it’s winter to prevent freezing. I have pvc gravity feeders made that I can pretty much hold a weeks worth of feed. Perfect for going on vacation. I have the roost made up of 2x4s over a sheet of plywood with vinyl flooring under the hens. As they sleep they poop Which they do a lot of.  So every week I scrap the poop off the board right into a wheel barrel and dump it in the woods.  I cut a hole in the side of the barn and made a door that goes out into a run which is just T post and wire fencing with netting on top.  I bought a metal nesting box that they lay eggs in. I went with metal so I can pull it out and hose it down and scrub it clean.  For the “bedding” material inside I went with the deep litter method. It’s been a bit over a year and I haven’t changed the bedding and it doesn’t even smell. About 8” of wood shavings and every couple weeks turn it over and add some shavings if necessary. It basically compost over time.   I made everything as to do the least amount of work yet enjoy the reward of owning chickens.   With that being said they are dirty animals lol. They crap a lot and they make everything super dusty as they scratch through the bedding. I was in there today with the backpack leaf blower blowing the barn out lol.  But I have read that they really don’t need as much space as I allow them to have. I just worked with what I had.   I like watching them move About the yard when we let them free range but only when outside. Not sure if they are badass or dumb but I’ve had them surround snakes in the yard and have found some dead mice inside their coop they must have gotten. I would highly suggest getting some. Worst case eat them if you don’t like them. 

12 hours ago, mike033089 said:

I find the chickens to be super easy depending on your goal. Meat birds or egg layers. We have 10 egg birds about 1.5 yrs old that my wife came home with one day from tractor supply. Took about 20 weeks to start getting eggs and get about 6-10 a day during peak season. Still get eggs dAily but way less in winter depending on the breed.  I turned one horse stall (12’x12’)  into the “coop”. I put hardware cloth on the ceiling and walls to prevent anything from getting in. I use a few gallon nipple waterer with a plug in heating element when it’s winter to prevent freezing. I have pvc gravity feeders made that I can pretty much hold a weeks worth of feed. Perfect for going on vacation. I have the roost made up of 2x4s over a sheet of plywood with vinyl flooring under the hens. As they sleep they poop Which they do a lot of.  So every week I scrap the poop off the board right into a wheel barrel and dump it in the woods.  I cut a hole in the side of the barn and made a door that goes out into a run which is just T post and wire fencing with netting on top.  I bought a metal nesting box that they lay eggs in. I went with metal so I can pull it out and hose it down and scrub it clean.  For the “bedding” material inside I went with the deep litter method. It’s been a bit over a year and I haven’t changed the bedding and it doesn’t even smell. About 8” of wood shavings and every couple weeks turn it over and add some shavings if necessary. It basically compost over time.   I made everything as to do the least amount of work yet enjoy the reward of owning chickens.   With that being said they are dirty animals lol. They crap a lot and they make everything super dusty as they scratch through the bedding. I was in there today with the backpack leaf blower blowing the barn out lol.  But I have read that they really don’t need as much space as I allow them to have. I just worked with what I had.   I like watching them move About the yard when we let them free range but only when outside. Not sure if they are badass or dumb but I’ve had them surround snakes in the yard and have found some dead mice inside their coop they must have gotten. I would highly suggest getting some. Worst case eat them if you don’t like them. 

I got tired just reading this:shock:

Edited by Lunatic

I have raised chicken and goats for many years. Make a compost bin. Get a section of welded wire fencing 4 or 5 feet high with 2x4 squares and four posts. Set up a 6x6 square bin in a sunny spot. Put in the straw bedding from the pigs and add the chicken manure. It will break down quickly and you will have great compost for a veggie garden. If you don't garden, you should have no trouble finding gardeners that would love to have it.

As to raising chickens, I agree there is not that much work. You just have to take steps to keep the predators away.