IGNORED

Great hunt with my son but....

Swamprat

11 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

that's  a great hunt.  So many kids today get it too easy. Hell I took my son on two consecutive youth day deer hunts and he shot a nice 6 point then a mature doe the next year (ages 11 and 12). He has not wanted to hunt deer since - and now he is about to to turn 23. 

Just keep him interested.  It's even tougher now than it was for me over 10 years ago.  Just too many other distractions.    You get an A+++ in my book!

My son is the same as he hunted 4 youth days and to a nice high 7pt then a basket 8pt and then a non typical 10pt. His last youth day he wanted something bigger than the 10pt :shakehead: :laughing:. He pasted a couple smaller bucks that day. Hasn't hunted deer since and now is 23. 

Nick does he have his bow license or just shotgun? 

12 minutes ago, Buck154 said:

My son is the same as he hunted 4 youth days and to a nice high 7pt then a basket 8pt and then a non typical 10pt. His last youth day he wanted something bigger than the 10pt :shakehead: :laughing:. He pasted a couple smaller bucks that day. Hasn't hunted deer since and now is 23. 

Nick does he have his bow license or just shotgun? 

He's got both now. Got his bow license with his little brother last fall. 

The issue the last few years I was on permanent nights/evenings. Work schedule sucked. Work 2 weekends then off one. Now I'm on day work so it's easier. Also some of the sports stuff ends this week so December should give us more time. 

They also like chasing pheasant and squirrel more than sitting still for a deer. Lol. Typical kids. 

7 minutes ago, Swamprat said:

They also like chasing pheasant and squirrel more than sitting still for a deer.

Lots of fun too, I think things like that are the key to keeping kids interested. They like action. I think too many new hunters are just brought deer hunting by their mentors and it can make them lose interest. Long as they are out there hunting something is a win as far as I am concerned  :up:

AWM