IGNORED

Crossbow Scope Recommendations?

Just now, dlist777 said:

I also prefer that set up.  I get confused with all the aim points esp when they are so cramped w/ faster bows.  But, he's going to be out a lot more than $200 with the speed dial...

Yes, very good point.  Good you brought that part up.  Other option would be to convert it to target/tactical turrets or remove the elevation cap on the scope (latter might not be good in inclement weather).  Kenton Industries has aftermarket turrets, $59.95 for the Crossfire.

http://kentonindustries.com/custom-turrets/vortex

2 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

You guys read my link?

Hawke retical,nuff said!

hawke-sr-crossbow-scope-6.png

We were talking about the single aiming point on the Vortex Crossfire.  Like I said, on paper and in that image, the reticle looks sharp, albeit very busy.   Comes down to personal preference really, but I don't think Hawke's optic quality matches Vortex, Leupold, etc in a slightly higher price bracket.  Again, JMHO.  Many crossbow only shooters (like my friend) thought the Hawke was fantastic until they used it in low light and then saw a higher end scope in low light.  In the end, go with what you like and fits the bill, the important part is your results not the name or the price tag.

1 minute ago, BowhunterNJ said:

We were talking about the single aiming point on the Vortex Crossfire.  Like I said, on paper and in that image, the reticle looks sharp, albeit very busy.   Comes down to personal preference really, but I don't think Hawke's optic quality matches Vortex, Leupold, etc in a slightly higher price bracket.  Again, JMHO.  Many crossbow only shooters (like my friend) thought the Hawke was fantastic until they used it in low light and then saw a higher end scope in low light.  In the end, go with what you like and fits the bill, the important part is your results not the name or the price tag.

OK Matt I never looked through one,so I respect your opinion.

I can vouch for my excaliber tact zone.When light fades and my eyes see dimly,I turn on the green light and get another 10 minutes at the end of magic hour.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

I would vote for the Hawke XB-1 as well. Been using them religiously for 7-8 years now. Have them on two xbows, they are bulletproof and once set you never ever have to make any adjustments unless you change arrow weight.
As far as low light issues, i agree they’re not Zeiss glass but in my experience the lighted reticules make up for any deficiency in glass quality unless you’re shooting 50 yards and out at last light.  At closer range any light issues would be past legal light anyway.    

However, you do need to know your exact arrow speed. Not an estimate from the manufacturer, I mean chronoing yourself and getting exact speed. 
once you get that you’ll be set out to 80-90 yards using the various reticules. 

Edited by Pathman

19 minutes ago, Pathman said:

I would vote for the Hawke XB-1 as well. Been using them religiously for 7-8 years now. Have them on two xbows, they are bulletproof and once set you never ever have to make any adjustments unless you change arrow weight.
As far as low light issues, i agree they’re not Zeiss glass but in my experience the lighted reticules make up for any deficiency in glass quality unless you’re shooting 50 yards and out at last light.  At closer range any light issues would be past legal light anyway.    

However, you do need to know your exact arrow speed. Not an estimate from the manufacturer, I mean chronoing yourself and getting exact speed. 
once you get that you’ll be set out to 80-90 yards using the various reticules

What makes you an authority on scopes?..Sorry John had a ask.lol.I know the answer!.Well put.You a staffer for wyvern creations?j/k..Chrono is good point.My bow factory 380.What with there bolts/arrows?I went 22" brass inserts heavier head,figure I'm at 360.Dial in,Practice, practice, practice!!!

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

I have to agree with Matt on the Vortex. When you look through the Vortex then look through the Hawke its like comparing a Zeiss to a Tasco. Some of the 10 point models are pretty dam close to the vortex optics for clarity and light gathering as well

AWM

37 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

What with there bolts/arrows?I went 22" brass inserts heavier head,figure I'm at 360.

You’re in the ballpark HBob. But getting exact FPS will make a difference when using longer distance reticules. 

Edited by Pathman

5 minutes ago, Pathman said:

You’re in the ballpark HBob. But getting exact FPS will make a difference when using longer distance reticules. 

Ballpark?..GO YANKEE'S..

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, MikeStaten said:

Went with the Hawke for its simplicity.  If that doesn't do it, I am going to mount a regular rifle/shotgun scope in the HHA mount. 

You'll be fine with  the Hawke.Can't use gun scope,reverse recoil.

Edited by hunterbob1