IGNORED

Woodcock are back in mega numbers

MPSR

Been taking my English Springer for walks just before dark near Peters Valley each night.. I am amazed of the hundreds of timer doodles flying around doing their mating ritual. The last time Ive seen this was in the late 80's.. The sound of their flight and landing sounds almost like a mini spacecraft... Also this morning heard a male grouse drumming on top of the mountain near my house, I said no way until he drummed again a few minutes later.

Anyone else notice the woodcock activity.. Looking to be a great year.. What ever grouse are around they get the pass for now..

Wow,timber doodles.Same here haven't seen em since the early 80's.They are the coolest thing to see em fly high then dive bomb,show offs lol.

https://www.ruffedgrousesociety.org/migration-map

Edited by hunterbob1

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Been seeing them slowly come back since about 2013. Now if I go shed hunting in this one spot by my house, I can usually flush between 3 to 5 every time. And I’m seeing the areas thick with them starting to expand into others as I’ve been flushing birds in spots I’ve never seen them before. 

18 hours ago, MPSR said:

Been taking my English Springer for walks just before dark near Peters Valley each night.. I am amazed of the hundreds of timer doodles flying around doing their mating ritual. The last time Ive seen this was in the late 80's.. The sound of their flight and landing sounds almost like a mini spacecraft... Also this morning heard a male grouse drumming on top of the mountain near my house, I said no way until he drummed again a few minutes later.

Anyone else notice the woodcock activity.. Looking to be a great year.. What ever grouse are around they get the pass for now..

Yes! We have been seeing plenty for a few weeks now.

There are a couple of spots where the grouse seem to be holding their own.

Also have heard a few wild Ringnecks crowing .

Pennsylvania Upland Hunting