IGNORED

Euro mount maceration style....

B B

looks cool!

How do you keep the teeth from falling out, and how do you get it so white?

I have tried to boil coon skulls and fox skulls and had the teeth fall out and never was able to figure out which teeth went where. ( I learned after wards I should only do one at a time) 

I also  have put them on the ground put a crate over top of them with a piece of plywood and a cinder block on top, and let the bugs clean it and still had them fall apart. 

Thanks for the post and any other info.

Came out great, give you credit. I used to do the same until my wife came home to a simmering 8 pointer in one of her pots on the stove many years ago when we were first married. 

It was a costly mistake as ALL of the pots and pans were thrown out and I had to replace them ALL, even though they were not used in the boiling session! LMAO! 

1 hour ago, ratherbhunting said:

looks cool!

I have tried to boil coon skulls and fox skulls and had the teeth fall out and never was able to figure out which teeth went where. ( I learned after wards I should only do one at a time) 

I also  have put them on the ground put a crate over top of them with a piece of plywood and a cinder block on top, and let the bugs clean it and still had them fall apart. 

Thanks for the post and any other info.

The teeth falling out are pretty much a guarantee. Just have to be patient and glue them all back in. Putting small animal skulls in a strainer before putting them in to boil will keep everything together to make reassembly easier.

9 hours ago, Ringtail said:

The teeth falling out are pretty much a guarantee. Just have to be patient and glue them all back in. Putting small animal skulls in a strainer before putting them in to boil will keep everything together to make reassembly easier.

What kind of glue do you use when gluing them back in?

Thank you

15 hours ago, ratherbhunting said:

Rarely do I have the teeth fall out on a deer unless I do the bottom jaw in which then the smaller front teeth always fall out.   I just pour the bucket into a strainer and start looking.  Smaller critters, coyotes, coon, etc. their teeth always come out.  Just do the same and run the liquid through a strainer or slowly pour the liquid out into another container and collect the teeth on the bottom of the bucket.  If you pour slow enough the teeth will always sink and stay on the bottom.  I always take pictures of the teeth/skull, before I start the maceration process, so I have something to go by when it comes time to put them back in the skull.  I use Elmer's school glue for everything. 

18 hours ago, ratherbhunting said:

and how do you get it so white

To get them white first you need to make sure it is degreased.  I used to just use dawn dish soap in the last stages of cleaning the skull but noticed after a year or two you would still see a slight discoloration from the oils/grease that was deep into the bone finally working its way out.  Now I wipe the skull down with acetone a couple times then clean up with dawn.  I've been told camp fuel also does a good job of pulling grease out of skulls but haven't tried it myself.  The last step is using  Volume 40 peroxide cream ( a hair salon product used to bleach hair).  I wipe on some cream let it sit for a day or 2 them wipe the residue off and its done.  Regular liquid peroxide is only like 2 or 3% hydrogen peroxide and the rest water, the salon products are 30 or 40% and come as a cream which is much easier to keep on the skull.    If you use the 30 or 40% peroxide make sure you wrap the antlers first so you don't accidentally bleach antlers.  I use latex gloves and wipe the peroxide on with my fingers.  SO I make sure the antlers are covered with plastic wrap and masking tape so if I touch them somewhere I don't get discoloration.

Edited by beaverman

x2 on the acetone as mentioned above for maceration

Theres several ways you could whiten in my experience brown bottle peroxide works fine if you don’t want to spend money on the higher quality stuff. Wrap the antlers, 1:1 peroxide to water, simmer for 10-15 mins, boom done.

Heres one I did a couple years ago using brown bottle peroxide. Still as white today as it was when it was first done:

A2E791F5-EFA0-463D-8ACA-DCE546964596.jpeg

As stated there are several different methods to whitening and they all work.  I use baquacil oxidizer which you can get at any pool supply store.  IF YOU USE THIS STUFF BE CAREFUL and read about it before using it.  

Again as stated, no matter which method you use, if you don't degrease, your skull will eventually start to turn yellow as the grease naturally starts to come out of the bone.  I have a homemade degreaser that requires nothing more than water, blue Dawn dishwashing soap and heat.  Without heat you're wasting your time and you won't get out the grease that's imbedded deep in the bone.  Personally, I don't like the bone white look so after degreasing I glue what needs to be glued (usually just the nose bones) and leave it natural.  It's all a matter of personal preference.   

Here's my next project...

IMG_1515.jpg

Edited by B B

56 minutes ago, B B said:

As stated there are several different methods to whitening and they all work.  I use baquacil oxidizer which you can get at any pool supply store.  IF YOU USE THIS STUFF BE CAREFUL and read about it before using it.  

Again as stated, no matter which method you use, if you don't degrease, your skull will eventually start to turn yellow as the grease naturally starts to come out of the bone.  I have a homemade degreaser that requires nothing more than water, blue Dawn dishwashing soap and heat.  Without heat you're wasting your time and you won't get out the grease that's imbedded deep in the bone.  Personally, I don't like the bone white look so after degreasing I glue what needs to be glued (usually just the nose bones) and leave it natural.  It's all a matter of personal preference.   

Here's my next project...

IMG_1515.jpg

Thank you to all that have responded.

Is that a fox or a coyote skull you have there? 

Let us know how you make out.

I have a couple of coon skulls and a couple of fox skulls I am going to try and clean up.