Jump to content

8 pointer Saturday morning 11-09-13


Recommended Posts

My morning started out cold and frosty. The truck dash temp gauge read 29 degrees. I gathered up my gear and throw on my pack and start the mile walk in. Once at my stand I attached the climbing stick, get dressed and climb into my stand. I get settled in around 5:15 and hunt ready by 5:30. Shooting light comes and goes and all is quiet.
Around 8:30ish a doe come in from behind me and begins to feed on the briar bushes (??). Low and behold it is the same doe that came in Friday morning and spent about an hour with me. Must be my after-shave. Lol. She feeds around me back and forth for a while and then suddenly stiffens up and stares to our right. Wow, a coyote is coming in. I’ve seen them while woodchuck hunting but never on stand. The doe freaks out and runs away. The coyote paid her no attention. I attempted to squeak at it to get in closer but no luck. He trotted away. Very cool though.
I’m getting tired of standing now and sit down for a while in my stand. I use a Millennium stand and the seat on this stand is beyond comfortable. I try to avoiding sitting too much because I doze off while sitting. So… as I’m sitting there in my stand I evidently take a ‘power nap” of about 30 seconds and am awoken by a snap behind me and to my left. I slowly open my eyes and peek around the tree trunk and see this buck walking towards me. My heart rate goes from 60-65 bpm to overdrive in less than 4 seconds. I’m sitting and have to get up without getting busted. He walks to his left to make his way through the briars and gives me the opportunity to get up and draw as he is blocked from view by a tree. I come to full draw and wait for him to go broadside, as he does my draw arm collapses ( due to being cold ), that is my excuse and am sticking to it.. He noticed the movement and looks up in the tree but does not make me. He turns to his left and hops over a blow down but is uneasy and ready to bolt. He is now facing directly away from me and I come back to full draw, waiting for him to step either left or right for a quartering away shot. He chose his right by a half step and I put the pin behind his last rib, shoot and the arrow exits his left armpit. At first he just stood there stunned I guess. Then he trotter to the creek edge, stood there, turned back around, walked directly to me, stood for about 5 seconds, half stepped to his left and fell over dead in  a hole from an up rooted tree. From shot to death was probably less than 30 seconds. It looked like a crime scene with all the blood in such a small area.
This is my first deer in 4 years. I had given up hunting 4 years ago when I had all my gear stolen, but lucky for me I got back into the “bow” this past January.




DSC00654 copy3.jpg

Edited by BowTechExperience
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great write-up! Nice buck! Congrats man! Well-earned with those all day sits!

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...