IGNORED

Climbing Harness Set Up

dlist777

18 minutes ago, supr78nova said:

Would the white extension rope with the carabiner allow the climbing harness to be used with a HSS lifeline in a ladder stand? I was thinking about switching to a climbing harness this year, but was unsure how it would work and if there would be enough slack to be able to turn around and sit down with the connection on your front side. Does the rope get in the way in front of you?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

You position the rope so that it hangs under your arm. It does not get in the way whatsoever for shooting. 

For the first time I will be using rock climbing harness. The only difference in my set up is that I will be using a rope with a prusik knot on it for my tether. This way I can adjust the length of the tether to what it should be, regardless of where the safety rope is attached to the tree. When I climb its not always easy to get it high enough with a fixed length tether.

FWIW: I do NOT use a linemen's belt (I don't use stand/sticks and I don't hang stands - I'm either using a climber, or a ladder stand that my buddy already has up on his property :lookaround:) so for me, the lack of lineman's belt loops isn't a problem for me. This is something you need to consider though if you need to use a lineman's belt, because as mentioned, these rock climbing harnesses don't have loops for that. So you need to figure something out. 

9 hours ago, Hitemnasty said:

How do you decend with a tight prussic knot? You can’t move that knot when all your weight is hanging on it! 

Knot I showed is not a prussic knot, its an arborists knot. you slide it by pulling down on the knot. and make it stop sliding by pulling the tag end.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

8 hours ago, gobblergetter said:

Treestand wingman....lets you down slowly, even if unconscious

I have this as well.  It is the best controlled descent device I have tried and I've tried alot of them.  I've tested it several times from 6 feet or so and it works great.  It's reusable too (some competing devices are single use).  I think its a perfect combination with a TMA harness.  I still prefer my rock climbing harness esp when I'm doing single-use hang on sets.  But, this product works great and I definitely recommend it for anyone who wants to stay with a TMA harness.  

With season upon us, I’d thought I’d give the group my climbing harness set up.  I used to use a standard hunting harness.  My main concern with a hunting harness is falling and hanging and not being able to recover on my own.  I hunt alone and I go deep a lot.  So, it’s really up to me to get myself out of that situation.  Note:  I am not saying this is the only set up or the best.  It works for me.  It might give you some ideas if you are thinking of switching over from hunting harness to climbing. 
As you know, the big advantage of a climbing harness is that if you fall, you’re facing the tree and your leaning back a bit so there is no pressure on your legs.  You can hang pretty much forever and it’s a lot easier to get back to your sticks or a ladder if you get stuck. I tried some of those controlled descent devices to use with a hunting harness.  But, they are all bulky and I don’t want to carry all that line in with me each time. 
The big negative with climbing harness is they don’t come with lineman’s loops.  So, if you use a hang on and need to use a lineman’s belt, then you need to figure out how to add one on your own.  So, l’ll show you my solution.  I implemented this last season and it took a bit of tweaking but this is what I came up with. 
First, I selected the Vario Speed Harness from Black Diamond.  https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/144431/black-diamond-vario-speed-harness.  Its every easy to get on and off.  The one thing you should consider is if you have to piss.  This one is no problem, just unzip and go.  Some harnesses have a section that drops down in the middle and will get in the way.  You don’t want to have to take  your harness off to go. 
Second, I purchased these tie down loops: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AS5QC1C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I double looped them around the area shown in the picture below where the arrows are.  I looped each twice and then put a zip tie.  The zip tie isn’t supporting any weight, it’s just preventing the loop from pulling back through and un-looping when I throw it in the truck. I made a lineman's belt by getting some line, creating a loop in one end, and then attaching an ascender to the other end.  https://www.rei.com/product/130302/wild-country-ropeman-2-ascender.  The ascender is not necessary...you can just use a prussic knot or similar.  However, I like the ascender because it's very easy to work with one hand.  Basically, to tighten the rope, you just pull it through the ascender.  To loosen, you need to take pressure off of the line, then lift the teeth of the ascender and then you can loosen.  But, if you have a lineman's belt you like, it will work fine with this set up.  
Finally, when I'm in the tree and all settled, I just use an old HSS rope style tree strap I have.  I tie it around the tree like a normally wood and tighten the prussic knot so it doesn't slip.  Then, I attach a double loop end rope under my shoulder to the belay loop (the big loop on my harness).  I hunt with a xbow and it never gets in the way.  I think most compound guys will find it interferes less than a standard harness as it won't get in the way when you draw back.  
I added two bungee ball loops to each side as well.  I just put climbing sticks in there to hold while I'm climbing.  
I used this about 1/2 of last season.  The advantages are the recovery, more comfort, easier to get a jacket on or off without having to take off your harness.  I don't find the extra loop to be an issue (that it goes under your shoulder to the front)...but some may not like this.  Also, there are other ways to attach lineman's loops.  See DIY sportsman.  I just found this method very easy and reliable.  Theoretically, you could just use the belay loop to attach your lineman belt, but you'll find it rubs up against your sticks and becomes hard to work with.  
1042991748_ClimbingHarness.jpg.9e9850475d2a2db3f9902cbc789776fa.jpg
805018883_RhinoLoops.thumb.jpg.5356f1e6d9b4b9c67ac7585929b37eea.jpg
1866955237_HarnesswithLoops.thumb.jpg.cbd09c05185e14d4edc8050d2fe52c23.jpg
318469748_LinemanRope.thumb.jpg.7f071c8b0d45deb665808522c4bd5365.jpg
ascender.thumb.jpg.03f013f6c97c81ab0e26309a3adbe41e.jpg
628689614_treerope.thumb.jpg.75cdc708b2db28298c7aec36b6bd3b64.jpg
2041381214_treeropoewithextension.thumb.jpg.ea32604f324cbd3959f65645e32e755d.jpg
2065633337_bungeeloops.thumb.jpg.ec7ecd29e50692ea1ce4442c2f90e242.jpg
What size and type of rope did you use for the extension rope? How long of a piece did you need to make it?

12 hours ago, supr78nova said:

What size and type of rope did you use for the extension rope? How long of a piece did you need to make it?

11mm static line (REI.com).  Its about 3 feet.  It was probably 4 or 5 feet before I started trying the loops.  Another option is to just use your linemans rope as the extension.  It will be adjustable then....but I find that set up a bit difficult to get from the my sticks into the stand safely. 

What ever harness I have tried I always make sure to keep the part that holds you up high above my stand so i feel it pulling tight when sitting. Don't want any extra drop if something ever happens while in your stand. No matter what always where some kind of safety harness or strap. Most of the time any will be better than the sudden stop from the ground if you fall out.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a climbing harness the other week and so far have used it on a few sits. Much improved over my HSS bowhunter harness. No pressure from shoulder straps digging in. Comfortable to wear, can wear a hooded jacket with the hood up, and no fear of death resulting from suspension trauma

Those climbing harnesses are interesting. Just make sure you can get yourself  up righted again. Go to 0:54.  A lot of videos I have watched the people end up up side down.  When you hit the end of slack rope your upper body flips you over.

Edited by Nomad

First, that video makes me NOT want to rock climb :)

Second, it looks like he righted himself up pretty quickly and easily - and he was able to do it while under that stressful situation. Seems like it worked nicely. Plus, he probably fell much farther than a hunter would (in the comments he said, "there was a lot of rope out, plus slack, plus belayer couldn't see me, that's why the fall was long) - so that extra force from the long drop could have contributed to flipping him. I wonder if a smaller fall wouldn't have caused him to flip.

BTW: falling that far of a distance with one of those hunting harnesses? Ugh -- say goodbye to your groin and everything in the vicinity :) If I fell that far, I'd much rather have one of these climbing harnesses than a hunting harness where a lot of that extra pressure is placed on the groin rather than on the belay loop in the front. 

How high up do you put your prusik knot when you are sitting?

I have found that if I put it at the same height above my head as when wearing a traditional harness, I need do have a fairly long extension rope which makes climbing with the lifeline very awkward.

Should I lower the prusik knot down closer to waist height to make the extension rope shorter or use a different type of knot that allows the extension rope length to be adjusted?