IGNORED

Ravin R15 vs. 10 Point Nitro X

dlist777

My bank account was getting too large; so I decided to empty it out a bit and buy another expensive crossbow.  I am now the owner of both the Ravin R15 and the 10 Point Nitro X.  Yes, I'm the only idiot that has a $2k "back up bow".  I spend money so you guys don't have to...here is a review comparing the two.  Note: if you're in the market for a high end bow, I'd also consider the 10 point shadow NXT which is a bit cheaper and more like a Ravin "copy".  The Nitro X is reverse draw while the Ravin is standard.  

Speed:  Advertised speed is: Ravin is 425 and Carbon Nitro is 440.  Actual speed with the arrows I use (125 gr tips): Ravin is 420 Carbon Nitro is 400.  Note:  i use hha optimizer speed dial on both.  Ravin is tape 20 and 10 point is tape 21...so tiny difference

CONCLUSION:  THEY ARE BOTH FAST AS SH&T.  SLIGHT EDGE TO RAVIN

Axle to Axle Uncocked : Ravin is 10.5" / NitroX is 12.7"

Axle to Axle Cocked:  Ravi nis 6.0" / Nitro X is 7.0"

Length:  Ravin is 34.5" / Nitro X 30.7'

But one important thing to note here.  On the Nitro, the arrow will hang over the front edge unless you put on the stirrup.  With the stirrup, its about the same length as the Ravin...maybe even a bit longer.  I put on the stirrup because I dont' want the arrow bumping up against anything.  

CONCLUSION:  THEY ARE BOTH SMALL AS HECK.  SLIGHT EDGE TO RAVIN WHEN FACTORING IN STIRRUP.  

Weight:  Ravin is 6.9lbs / Nitro X is 7.8 lbs.

CONCLUSION:   RAVIN.  NITRO X IS NOTICEABLY HEAVIER ESP WITH SCOPE AND ACCESSORIES.  

Warranty:  10 point gives you a lifetime warranty..but only 5 years on the limbs and stuff that matters / Ravin only 5 years.  So, toss up.  

CONCLUSION:  TOSS UP.  

Cocking System:  Ravin uses a unique system where the whole trigger housing moves forward.  NitroX uses 10 points new accudraw pro.  There are pros and cons to both.  The bad is 10 point is a little more awkward b/c you need to pull the rope over the scope on the way down and up where the Ravin you don't need to do this . But, the accudraw is totally silent but still won't fire if you release it accidentally or the crank comes off.  The Ravin can be silent if you hold a button down, but then you are risking a dry fire if you let go.  If you don't hold down the button, you can't accidentally dry fire, but then it makes a clicking noise.  Ravin is a bit faster (less turns).    One thing to note:  FOR BOTH BOWS IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO COCK BY HAND.  YOU MUST USE THE CRANK.  LOSE THE CRANK AND THE BOW IS USELESS.  

CONCLUSION:  TOSS UP

Accuracy:  They are both really accurate, but the NitroX is a bit better both from a bench and by hand.  The reverse draw nature makes it much better balanced for offhand shots.  But, even from a bench, I noticed tighter groups with the NitroX.  

CONCLUSION: NITRO X

Sound:  The R15 is much louder than the 10 point.  The 10 point is pretty quiet. 

CONCLUSION:  NITRO X

Trigger:  I like Ravin better.  It's very light a crisp.  The NitroX is longer pull.  

CONCLUSION:  FOR ME: SIGNIFICANT EDGE TO RAVIN.  BUT, YOU NEED TO SHOOT BOTH TO DECIDE FOR YOU.  

Unloading:  Ravin you can actually unload w/o firing.  10 point, you have to fire one off.  

CONCLUSION:  RAVIN

Rail:  10 point has a rail the arrow sits in.  Ravin arrow floats.  I like having a rail better. Easier to load.  

CONCLUSION:  NITRO X

If I had to pick one, overall, I'd give the edge to Ravin.  But they are both great.   For me, I think the main reason I give the edge to Ravin is the trigger.  

Bows.jpg

Edited by dlist777

Great review!!!  I ordered the Nitro X Elite package in January after I shot it at the Harrisburg’s show.... it’s been a long wait but I got the call yesterday that my elite package is shipping out on Monday, but the upgraded EVO X Marksman scope that comes with the elite package won’t  be here for a few more weeks. Get this, Ten Point is shipping my bow  with a complimentary Rangemaster Pro Scope for me to keep, then they’ll ship the upgraded EVO X scope to me here a few weeks later.  I thought that was pretty damn good of Ten Point. I’m axiously awaiting it’s arrival. 

Yes- shoot more bucks... bring me more taxidermy work this way i can take some of your money and get me a fancy xbow default_wink2.gif

Although, I have a $2500 set up on my hoyt and a backup $2200 recurve. I dont really have any interest in a xbow at this point in time and if I do my dads got the pse tac15i, and the ravin15 so I can always snag one of his default_wink2.gif

You need a recurve! Check out blacktailbows.com next time you have too many digits to fit in the the lousy 5 digit space in checkbook registrys lol.

The things us hunters spend $ on. I guess it's TRUE with all hobbies. Spend it on what you love in life or theres no reason to work hard and earn it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Great review. I like the speed of both and, after shooting both, I liked the 10 point better though, both seemed great. Here’s my issue with both, not that it matters but, here it is. I’ve never missed a deer because my Xbow was too slow.  I have a couple of Strykers that shoot in the 385fps range. So for me to spend 2k  on a crossbow is hard to justify. I also use mostly ladder stands or hunt off of the ground. I’ve never found a time when my Xbow was too wide to take a shot. My Strykers aren’t wide bows but nowhere near as narrow as the 2 examples talked about here. Now I’ve never hunted out of a ground blind or a climber. My hang on days are over. Maybe in a ground blind or with a climber/hang on that kind of narrow profile is needed. I can’t comment on that. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for spending whatever it takes to have the best. I’ve spent money I shouldn’t have spent to buy the next greatest whatever. I just think these Xbow companies are sticking it to us when they charge those kind bucks.....ah, it’s just me I guess

39 minutes ago, 06roadking said:

Great review. I like the speed of both and, after shooting both, I liked the 10 point better though, both seemed great. Here’s my issue with both, not that it matters but, here it is. I’ve never missed a deer because my Xbow was too slow.  I have a couple of Strykers that shoot in the 385fps range. So for me to spend 2k  on a crossbow is hard to justify. I also use mostly ladder stands or hunt off of the ground. I’ve never found a time when my Xbow was too wide to take a shot. My Strykers aren’t wide bows but nowhere near as narrow as the 2 examples talked about here. Now I’ve never hunted out of a ground blind or a climber. My hang on days are over. Maybe in a ground blind or with a climber/hang on that kind of narrow profile is needed. I can’t comment on that. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for spending whatever it takes to have the best. I’ve spent money I shouldn’t have spent to buy the next greatest whatever. I just think these Xbow companies are sticking it to us when they charge those kind bucks.....ah, it’s just me I guess

I mainly agree with you.  I basically feel like a $500 bow gets  you 80-90% of what a $2k bow gets you.  I do feel like size, weight, and accuracy improve as you pay more.  The speed improvement is nice, but I agree with you...it rarely if ever is going to make a difference.   I feel however like size is really important.  I hunt from climbers and hang ons as well as ladders and I have definitely felt limited with larger bows in my available shots.  Also, I have owned cheaper bows like Barnett and Scorpyd and although they were plenty accurate, these are noticeably more accurate.  It probably doesn't make a difference at normal hunting ranges...but it does help my confidence.  

I kind of feel like buying a $2k bow vs a $500 bow is like asking is it worth it to own a luxury car or truck or an economy car or truck.  The answer is probably always "no" from a pure value perspective.  The economy vehicle does everything you need...you're just paying for small improvements with the luxury vehicle.  But, it all depends on what its worth to you; how much you have spend, whatever you spend your money on, etc. 

Speed does nothing to promote acurracy other than narrowing vertical adjustment .

Accuracy is based nuch more on your bolt choice.

Build better grade custom bolts and just about every xbow will shoot the balls off a gnat at hunting ranges

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

1 hour ago, hammer4reel said:

Speed does nothing to promote acurracy other than narrowing vertical adjustment .

Accuracy is based nuch more on your bolt choice.

Build better grade custom bolts and just about every xbow will shoot the balls off a gnat at hunting ranges

I agree with the first part about speed.  I have to disagree with the second.  I've owned lots of xbows....I have noticed different accuracy level.  For sure.  Custom bolts in all.  

2 hours ago, dlist777 said:

I mainly agree with you.  I basically feel like a $500 bow gets  you 80-90% of what a $2k bow gets you.  I do feel like size, weight, and accuracy improve as you pay more.  The speed improvement is nice, but I agree with you...it rarely if ever is going to make a difference.   I feel however like size is really important.  I hunt from climbers and hang ons as well as ladders and I have definitely felt limited with larger bows in my available shots.  Also, I have owned cheaper bows like Barnett and Scorpyd and although they were plenty accurate, these are noticeably more accurate.  It probably doesn't make a difference at normal hunting ranges...but it does help my confidence.  

I kind of feel like buying a $2k bow vs a $500 bow is like asking is it worth it to own a luxury car or truck or an economy car or truck.  The answer is probably always "no" from a pure value perspective.  The economy vehicle does everything you need...you're just paying for small improvements with the luxury vehicle.  But, it all depends on what its worth to you; how much you have spend, whatever you spend your money on, etc. 

I agree with you on the little things. I was hesitant to spend $900 on my Stryker but, the trigger and ability to uncock the bow made it worth it to me. I’m sure the day will come that I will upgrade from what I have just to get some more little things. Good luck with both shows!

• 1 month later...

If anyone is actually considering a purchase of a new bow and is toying around with one of the Ravins vs. the NitroX, pm me.  Now that i've put more and more shots through these bows, I've kind of changed my mind.  They're both still great bows...but I feel like I'd give the edge to Ravin now. 

I'm going to edit the original post just in case someone does a search.