IGNORED

Bear ear tag color.

NJ uses yellow tags along with red and silver, depends on the circumstances when the bear was tagged. As well I was only half joking about the lip tattoo. All bears handled during hibernation get a number tattooed to the inside of both sides of their upper lip. As well, those that are tranquilized to capture for re-location often get a tattoo along with their ear jewelry.

On 7/5/2018 at 12:27 AM, Dave B. said:

Not sure what the coding is these days. Years ago yellow tags meant a previously trapped and transported nuisance bear. 

Half true Bear in NJ with a Yellow Tag with a large number on it was Darted and relocate the Second tag same Number was the Last chance The Third time was  :fudd: Fatal. Camping at Worthington and Camp Taylor it was common to see them At camp Taylor there was one Called 50-50  was a legend and had Twin and Trips over the years they had an Album of Bear photos in the Camp office of the Many Bears with Cubs. This is the Campground that has the wolf Pens next door.  what and if they still tag is ???????????

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

Dunno how old this is, but it's on the DFW website so I assume it is not obsolete:

https://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/bearfacts_resandmgt.htm

"When caught, black bears are chemically immobilized with darts containing an anesthetic and analgesic solution. Once sedated, bears that have never been caught before receive metal ear tags which display an identification number. The identification number is also tattooed onto the inside upper lip of the animal."

This PDF document has a picture of what the metal ear tags look like --> https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/pdf/bear/bearfacts_resmgt.pdf

Nothing in the DFW documents/website I've found mention colored ear tags. Dunno if that means they are from another state or if it's just new and NJ DFW hasn't mentioned it on the website.

If you are really curious, email NJ DFW and I'm sure they will give you additional info on colored tags -> https://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/contact.htm

4 hours ago, 1957Buck said:

Half true Bear in NJ with a Yellow Tag with a large number on it was Darted and relocate the Second tag same Number was the Last chance The Third time was  :fudd: Fatal. Camping at Worthington and Camp Taylor it was common to see them At camp Taylor there was one Called 50-50  was a legend and had Twin and Trips over the years they had an Album of Bear photos in the Camp office of the Many Bears with Cubs. This is the Campground that has the wolf Pens next door.  what and if they still tag is ???????????

I have lots of pics of bears in our campsite at Taylors. Had a seasonal site there for nearly 2 decades starting in '85, well before the wolf preserve. Still good friends with the preserve owners, although Dan and Pam Bacon are no longer a part of the preserve for many years now. Dan sadly is no longer with us.