IGNORED

I don't have a problem

Rusty

Homad?

:rofl:

Rusty's in great shape, especially for an old man, lol...so I can't say he's doing anything wrong there.... I just know that's more natural sugar than I'd normally eat now in one sitting, at least on a regular basis. 

There's also so many people out there telling you to eat this, don't eat that and then someone else contradicts it and says that's all you should eat but stay away from this. Some of them clearly have an agenda (vegans are sneaky like that) but it gets insane. If you're head isn't spinning, you probably did the healthy thing and stopped eating and breathing. lol

After struggling with weight and health for years and trying to learn as much as I care to know about nutrition, I have settled on a few key things that work for me:

- Eat whole, natural foods.

- Make all my own meals from those whole foods (so I know what goes into it)

- Grow and harvest as much of my food as I can (veggies, meat, fish)

- Intermittent fast and practice short monthly water fasts (I vary daily IF from 23:1 to 16:8 and some days I eat breakfast because I want to) I like to be flexible.

- Lots and lots of vegetables and leafy greens, moderate amounts of nuts, seeds, eggs, chicken and fish (mostly caught trout, canned sardines and tuna), decent amount of red meat (almost entirely venison), some fruit (dried and whole)

- MOVE more (I now also stand when I'm at a computer desk, standing as I type this)

- I am flexible with it all. I sometimes eat a ton of fruit...and sometimes a ton of meat.Some days I don't feel like eating much of anything. I think our bodies signal to us what they need and that's why you crave certain foods. The body is replenishing that mineral or nutrient. As long as it's not sugar cravings, go for it in moderation.

- I usually only eat one giant meal a day in the evening and I'm full of energy. On the days I do eat breakfast or lunch, it usually trips a hunger switch and I am constantly hungry the rest of the day and oddly I have less energy on those days. 

- I now think of food as a repair and refuel agent for my body....and I also try to replicate eating as if I'm a hunter gatherer. 

I'm now down 84# from my previous fat bastard self. Went from 270# to 186# ....About 20 more lbs to go for a healthy weight at my height. Doing it slowly though....been a year so far,.

By the way, that's my favorite peanut butter! I scoop it out of the jar with celery stalks after exercise. I make my own peanut butter too and it's good, but that one is still better.

Nice job, keep it going

How tall are you that you want to be 166 lb?

5'9" if I round up. :rofl:

5'8 and 5/8" if you want me to be more exact. lol 166 to 170 was a good weight for me some years back and its the high end for healthy bmi at my height. 

Edited by Matty

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

5'9"

Wow, are you sure you want to god down to 166?

I am 5-10 and one time I went down to one 175 and I felt not so good. Even exercising was difficult at this weight. Playing hockey I felt no power in my legs like I was running on air. I feel best 185 to 190. One time about 20 years ago I broke 200, went up to 210 and I never felt worse in my entire life. I will never let it happen again.

I guess your body will tell you where you should be. Good luck

I have been as low as 145# when I used to run long distance a lot....and as heavy (*healthy) as about 180 while weight training (but that took enormous effort).  

My best overall weight was between 160-170. I can still throw my body weight around with ease but not so weak and puny that I can't do anything. I'm not naturally very big. If I hit a weight I feel great at, I'll stop and go into maintenance, but for now, the goal is around 160-167. My younger brother in the USMC is 147 and he is in phenomenal shape. We are built like runners not weight lifters. lol

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

5'9"

Wow, are you sure you want to god down to 166?

I am 5-10 and one time I went down to one 175 and I felt not so good. Even exercising was difficult at this weight. Playing hockey I felt no power in my legs like I was running on air. I feel best 185 to 190. One time about 20 years ago I broke 200, went up to 210 and I never felt worse in my entire life. I will never let it happen again.

I guess your body will tell you where you should be. Good luck

Weight is a funny thing. I'm 5'10" and with my body type (long arms, big chest) I have been anywhere from 155 to 192 as an adult I'll say that at 155 I felt like I was dying, although I was shredded as hell and looked like I could have been on the cover of a magazine. It would be my natural fighting weight, although I'm not sure how I'd have the energy to fight being that lean.

At 192 I was strong, but lost all of my speed and agility. I was also a little chubby and just generally not pleased.

I enjoy being about 175 because I look good and feel great. I am strong and fast and able bodied. Oddly enough, I was my strongest at about 168. I was also 24 and all I did was lift weights. I wasn't playing competitive lax anymore

Typically in the summer I'll lean down to 170 and have a full on 6pack. Right now I'm around 180 and a little puffier than I'd like to be. Lol. I just tell my wife that it's fuel for the sex machine. I'll actually lean out a bit this fall. 10lbs isn't really anything to stress about

Are you guys saying that a bowl of oatmeal, with banana, blueberries is bad because it is all carbs?  That is usually what I eat first thing.  Then 2 or 3 hours later I lift and have my protein meal after.  Is there a better plan?  Eat protein early also?

Edited by Nomad

Are you guys saying that a bowl of oatmeal, with banana, blueberries is bad because it is all carbs?  That is usually what I eat first thing.  Then 2 or 3 hours later I lift and have my protein meal after.  Is there a better plan?  Eat protein early also?

I don't think it's bad at all, but I'd probably have protein with it.

I often have a smoothie for breakfast containining 2-3 different fruits, 3-4 different veggies, chia seeds, flax seeds, spirulina, and some vegan protein powder.

I'll eat a small meal 4 hours later, lunch 2-3 hours after that and dinner in the evening. All other meals have meat/fish, lots of veggies and some carbs (depending on what my needs are that day)

Are you guys saying that a bowl of oatmeal, with banana, blueberries is bad because it is all carbs?  That is usually what I eat first thing.  

That is exactly what I have every morning, but I add a 1/4 cup of walnuts.  

Sounds good to me...some days I eat almost the same exact way.

It took some getting used to, but I feel my absolute best when I wake up early, take a  quick walk, work outdoors for 8-10 hours, go home, weight train for a short time (usually just a quick round of pushups/pullups/dips) and then eat from 6-7pm. Lights out by about 9-10pm.

In that hour window of eating I usually consume:

One celery stalk and a few scoops of that super chunky shoprite natural peanut butter. So good!

Followed by a giant salad which consists of:

All the leafy stuff (spinach, chard, kale, etc) (enormous amount)

broccoli 

baby carrots 

sliced almonds

blue cheese crumbled

raisins 

chia seeds 

ground up flax seeds

string beans 

grilled chicken

followed by some sardines, tuna, trout or venison. (I can a lot of my venison so I just eat it out of the jar like tuna from the can)

Then a small bowl of cottage cheese with diced fruit. Usually eat fresh fruit, but in a pinch, Dole makes fruit cups that I drain.

To finish the meal I usually grab a small handful of mixed nuts....Don't get too excited Nomad, I said MIXED nuts....not Micks nuts. :rofl:  

Drink between a half gallon and 3 gallons of water per day but usually just over one gallon... (really depends on how active and outdoor temps).

To save time on prep...I grill up a bunch of chicken on the weekend and keep it in canning jars in the fridge. That way I can prepare my dinner in just a few minutes.

I do the same with fruit. For the trout, I have been making trout jerky. Delicious but addicting and I overeat it, might try canning it next time I keep a bunch. 

That's just me though and I'm pretty healthy now, but you still probably look better in a two piece. :rofl:

especially for an old man.

I just know that's more natural sugar than I'd normally eat now in one sitting.

Listen here you young whipper snapper.  

Just to clarify, I don't eat that much fruit in a single sitting.  It's spread out over 2nd breakfast, mid-morning snack, first lunch, second lunch, and mid-afternoon snack.   :D

In  my opinion this is not a good way to start the day. All you are eating is carbs and sugar for breakfast. How is your weight?

Edited by Lunatic

In  my opinion this is not a good way to start the day. All you are eating is carbs and sugar for breakfast. How is your weight?

I'm going to cut the oatmeal in half and add some protein.  Weight is good 510 180 and very little fat.   Have just a little extra weight around the middle which is tough for me to get off unless I go down to 170.  Then my wife says I look to thin!

Y'know, I asked him not to share those....  And you're just jealous that someone can be this mantastic.  Hater.

OMG. This is literally the post of the month by HH! :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: 

This is so mantastic and I am laughing my ass off! We have to share one of your signature brews together soon without a doubt....Rusty can meet up with us as well! :up: