IGNORED

Turkey Box Call (pic heavy)

68Ioweu1

It all started a few months back on my trip to Illinois. Hanging stands and going through the woods I saw the all too common sight of a long forgotten barbed wire fencerow, mostly broke down but still standing the test of time. The majority of the row and wire has been gone for decades but some are still held up by square cut nails on century old axe cut Osage posts. Their useful life well passed, a few took the 1000 mile trek back to New Jersey with me. I didn't know at the time what I would use them for but for a wood guy like me it was tough to pass up.

Jersey turkey season rolls around and I'm out with my hunting buddy Tony D who is light-years beyond me in his knowledge of custom calls. On a quiet morning in B week he managed to get gobblers firing off in an area I was convinced was void of them. He took out his Frank Kreur box call and let out a series of calls that you could physically feel go through your body and is probably the reason why those gobblers talked. The high pitched resonance and the raspy undertone was impressive. It is not often that I am in awe of something but this box call was truly special. He was nice enough to let me borrow it and on a few occasions it made gobblers talk that were extremely tight lipped and where others calls failed.

I had those Osage posts thatve been seasoned for close to a century so I figured what the heck! I started milling shaping and cloning the call.... and although it's not the same and researching after the fact I made some rookie mistakes in grain orientation, it still sounds pretty damn good.

I look forward to calling one in with it this year, worst comes to worse I'll have some mighty fine lookin kindling come winter.

IMG_2382.JPG

IMG_2383.JPG

IMG_2387.JPG

Edited by 68Ioweu1

I've accumulated tools and assembled a functioning wood and metal shop in my basement at the pizzeria. If I had to call a pro every time something broke down I'd be broke.

With that setup I've fabricated hinges, flanges and other parts that wear out.