IGNORED

Tick Twister Tool

BHC

just use good old fashioned tweezers

that's the second worse to use, the first is a flame.  I went to a tick kind of seminar and they gave out tick removing pick. Something that looked like a piece of rectangular s steel with a slit , similar to the front end of the first picture in mazzgolf's post.  But I find prevention is best, by spraying clothing with Permethrin and using deet on the skin.

The best method is actually grabbing the tick and pulling it out quickly. Trying to use a tool or other methods allows the tick to time to regurgitate and expel toxins. That is how desease enters your body. By quickly grabbing and pulling you remove the possibility of that happening.  

The best method is actually grabbing the tick and pulling it out quickly. Trying to use a tool or other methods allows the tick to time to regurgitate and expel toxins. That is how desease enters your body. By quickly grabbing and pulling you remove the possibility of that happening.

Actually that is 100% false. If you grab it, you squeeze it and that is when it regurgitates. These types of tools pull by the head without squeezing the body of the tick at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Do you spray Permetherin on your dogs even though we give them advantix?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Any Man Who Thinks He Can Be Happy and Prosperous By Letting the Government Take Care of Him Better Take A Closer Look at The American Indian! - Henry Ford

MOLON LABE

My bottle of 36.8% permethrin as well as the 10% Martins has instructions for dogs. DO NOT USE ON CATS! I believe Permethrin is very bad to cats (and fish IIRC - so don't let run off go into streams or ponds or fish bowls/tanks)

"Do not use on dogs under 12 weeks old"

Check the label for more details - but the labeling has explicit instructions for use on dogs. When in doubt, talk to your vet before applying.

Here's the Martin's label - see around page 18 : http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/msds/Permethrin%2010%20Label.pdf

I understand that but do use use it in addition to Advantix?

Best bet is to talk to your vet. But I just looked at the label of this Advantix - http://fleascience.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Product-Label-for-K9-Advantix-II.pdf - and it already has Permethrin (at 44%). So, to me, it doesn't make sense to combine the two. You'd be putting permethrin on your dog twice - I doubt a double dose is something you'd want to apply to a dog and it probably wouldn't help be more effective anyway. But, I only slept at a Holiday Inn last night so.... I'd talk to your vet.

I get that Martin's which is the 10% stuff and non-petroleum based - you mix 1 gallon of water with 7 oz of that and you get 0.52% solution - virtually the same percentage of permethrin (a little bit more actually) of the Sawyers stuff (which is 0.5%).

For the math-averse, just use a 19:1 water to permethrin ratio in any quantity you want to arrive at a perfect 0.5% solution.

You cant spray Sawyers on your dogs, you need to make a batch yourself diluted even further than 0.5%.  The 0.5% mix is for clothing.   

If you're going to spray it on your dogs, you need to dilute it down to 0.05% or TEN TIMES less powerful than store bought 0.5% Sawyers.   They say don't spray it on puppies or cats either.

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

I was just re-reading the Advantix II pamphlet as I re-apply it to my dog. It states that it repels and kills ticks for up to ​four weeks.

It also states that in severe pest infestations, more frequent retreatment is allowable. But, not more than once every seven days.

I think I'm going to apply it to my dog every 3 weeks or so, during spring/summer/fall.

(BTW, I ordered it from Amazon yesterday at noon. Free same day shipping. It came about 8pm last night. Price as low as anyone. How does Amazon do it? I think they're going to take over the world! lol)