IGNORED

Food plot progress

Ok- today I got the fertilizers spread and drug in.. I fenced and mulched my fruit trees, I spread the half acre of clover seed and sat down for a rest.

As soon as I sat down, I realized I spread the whole 50 lb bag of nitrogen when my soil only called for 22lbs. Too late now :/ hope it doesn't affect it too much.. I doubled the dose I needed.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Plant some jumbo laudino clover or other varieties. It's s perrenial and deer LOVE it. Every winter you can frost seed it in and have great results at spring green up. 2 weeks before you hunt it during the rut, fertilize it with Urea and you'll draw every deer in the area to the sweet, luscious plot.

Ok- today I got the fertilizers spread and drug in.. I fenced and mulched my fruit trees, I spread the half acre of clover seed and sat down for a rest.

As soon as I sat down, I realized I spread the whole 50 lb bag of nitrogen when my soil only called for 22lbs. Too late now :/ hope it doesn't affect it too much.. I doubled the dose I needed.

No you did it correctly. A 50# bag of urea is a 46-0-0 mix, meaning about 23 pounds of the bag is nitrogen.

This is what it called for...(pic shows per acre, I'm doing roughly a half acre so half of the listed amounts)

But I did;

50 lbs of 33-5-0 (I was supposed to use half the bag, but forgot and dumped the whole bag)

And

100 lbs of 0-0-61Screenshot_2017-04-09-23-35-42.png

Edited by JerseyJaysTaxidermy

Looks great! As for grass select herbicide, it's cheaper to grab generic clethodim than some of the brand name stuff. To be honest, on our plots in upstate ny, we haven't had to apply much as a mowing has given our clover plots all they need to outcompete the grass(just make sure you have the mover deck high(6-8"). We planted our plots in the fall after burning the field with gly. That has also helped the clover get ahead of the grass as it seems to come up earlier in the spring(we were at the property this past wkend and the clover is getting started). Eventually, as the plots get older, we'll need to spray. Our plots have a mix of jumbo landino, Alice and kopu II white clovers from welter seed and honey co. Deer hammer it and it stands up very well to the pressure.