IGNORED

Food plot progress

You don't understand! I can't even grow grass. I plant stuff and it dies in a week. I can't buy a hanging flower basket, and have it last a week or 2.

It's exciting when it works!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Relax we can get a group discount on some help for you and Rusty. He can deal with his wood pile and you can deal with your clover. :happywave:

So I noticed some patches of clover sprouting over the past week... but still a good amount of bare dirt.

It seems that anywhere there are patches of grass the clover grew fine, and anywhere no grass grew, no clover grew.

I think it has to do with the grass shading the dirt. Keeping it more moist . All shady areas seemed to sprout clover better than sunny center of plot.

So today I decided to spread seed again figuring the rainy week and decent Temps in the forecast will maybe help.

I'll then give it time to grow 3" then I'll spray the grass/weed killer maybe in 2-4 weeks or so.. gotta see what happens.

I know you are all very interested in watching my grass grow, so I'll be sure to update you lol

So I noticed some patches of clover sprouting over the past week... but still a good amount of bare dirt.

It seems that anywhere there are patches of grass the clover grew fine, and anywhere no grass grew, no clover grew.

I think it has to do with the grass shading the dirt. Keeping it more moist . All shady areas seemed to sprout clover better than sunny center of plot.

So today I decided to spread seed again figuring the rainy week and decent Temps in the forecast will maybe help.

I'll then give it time to grow 3" then I'll spray the grass/weed killer maybe in 2-4 weeks or so.. gotta see what happens.

I know you are all very interested in watching my grass grow, so I'll be sure to update you lol

It could be that the soil is too thin in those spots, you said that you hit shale as soon as you started to dig, right?  If it's too thin it'll dry quickly when the sun comes out.  

Actually... these spots were the thickest of fluffy dirt... wondering if the seeds got pressed too deep under the soil due to that...

they are washout areas. Seed was moved by water to other areas, most likely because of topography.

Edited by Lunatic

question:

So say the field grows and I want to reseed... i know I can frost seed which will allow the seeds to work into the ground, but what if I want to fertilize and seed in the fall while the clover is still standing? Just spread seed over hard packed dirt? No need to rake the soil loose so the rain can sink the seed?

I reseeded a day ago before the rain, and I walk out and still see the blue seeds on top of the soil.. I imagine they will sooner or later get covered, just wondering if I should be doing anything?

Clover can't be planted deep at all. In terms of frost seeding, the seed isn't being sucked down inches below the soil.  The defrosting and refreezing is literally bringing the seed into the top layer of the soil...less than a quarter inch down. Any more than that, and the clover most likely won't germinate. with frost seeding, you're seeding at an optimal time. you're getting the seed down early to ensure that clover is one of the first things to germinate in the spring so it has a good chance of out competing other plants.  

When talking seed to soil contact with clover, they generally just want to ensure that the seed is touching the soil or just pressed into the soil with something like a cultipacker or the tires of your atv. The rain you had the other day should be enough to get plenty of seed to germinate. Even if you're seeing seed on top of the soil, it isn't an issue. it should germinate. 

If you're really worried about seed to soil contact in the fall, you can lightly rake or disk the plot and then broadcast the seed into that and walk away. If you're so inclined, you can lightly drive over it to press the seed in. 

Or you can just start from scratch as we've found that planting a plot in the fall with a nurse crop is easier and cleaner than establishing in the spring. 

It's coming in nice Jay. Can't wait for pictures of deer feeding in it. :up::up:

I thought you were gonna say "I can't wait to see what it looks like tomorrow" lol

Seen 2 deer today walk by it, but I was sitting in the lawn chair hanging with my dog in it so they didn't stay and eat lol- the downfall of planting a food plot in your yard... I always wanna be sitting out there at prime time enjoying the sunset Temps. It's OK tho, soon enough the deer will be eating out of my hand ;)