IGNORED

Some brown trout pictures from NY opener today

hemlock

Way to go Hemlock! Brown trout beauties. Thats hardcore- wasn't the best weather this morning. I have really lost interest in the NJ troutery since they stopped with the browns and brookies.

I pretty much stopped trout fishing in NJ due to lack of stocking browns and brookies. A lot of guys I know are disappointed in the stream fishing in NJ and as a result now go to NY and PA.

Edited by gillripper

I pretty much stopped trout fishing in NJ due to lack of stocking browns and brookies. A lot of guys I know are disappointed in the stream fishing in NJ and as a result now go to NY and PA.

Fishing in NJ, NY, PA is all that you make of it. There are some Natives, Holdovers. but for the most part Stocked fish do to fishing pressure. 

NJ is unique in every way when it comes to Wildlife and fishing, As there is something for everyone, - Urban--to --Semi-Wild.

Been making trips to Alaska some 40+ years to visit family and to Fish. from Eagle Creek to the Copper River. 90% of the fish are Natural and Native, But they also have a stocking program and an awesome management program and the Funds to do it. 

I consider myself Spoiled by all the best fishing to be had.

But NJ has some very good opportunities It is what you Make of it.  w

The Photo is a Sockeye ( Red ) Salmon from the lower Kenia I caught Imagine Casting and Catching with fly only one after the other. 

The need to Fly out and spending a lot of $$$$$$ is not needed as Road fishing will get you into all of what Alaska has to offer.

Want to Plan a trip I have Volumes of information for DIYS in Alaska. 

sockeye-fly-fishing.jpg

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

Great beautiful chunky fish!

This is my first year fly fishing and all I caught this winter was brown trout out of SBR and a local wild trout stream. Never thought it would matter, but catching wild (or lengthy holdovers) is a much better feeling than stocked fish.

Don't worry Brian, I handled them as little as possible and gently with wet hands (even though it was frigid) and released them all safely.

I will be keeping and eating some stocked rainbows though. Fish is a major part of my diet now, so those nubby fins will be baked fried and grilled. :cook:

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

I have really lost interest in the NJ troutery since they stopped with the browns and brookies.

This is only temporary until they can build roofs over the raceways and install solar panels on them.  The roofs will keep birds of prey from reintroducing furunculosis to the stocked trout of which only our state raised rainbows show resistance to that diseases.  The solar is separate from the disease issue but will power much if not all of the hatchery and their well pumps which take a lot of electricity to run.  Once that happens, the state can bring in disease resistant strains of brook and brown trout, but you likely won't see brookies stocked into any rivers where there are wild brookies in those rivers or their tributaries.  

Those could be just stockies.  They put some nice browns in up there.

Correct, their pectoral fins give them away as stocked browns.  But they are still some nice ones.  Tough fishing conditions on most local rivers and streams with the snow runoff followed by the rains recently and the rains coming this week yet.  It just means more trout won't be caught in the early season which will be around later into the spring.