IGNORED

Your preference for how "it" happens

JHbowhunter

Tonight's hunt where a near "sure thing" that unfolded 300 yards away to start,  with a lone doe clearly set on heading my way was being dogged by a slammer 8pt across a big 8 acre fresh tilled field prepped for winter wheat or rye, only to be short-circuited by a few cars stopping to watch the show from the road 50 yards from the buck, who was then 50 yards from me... Well that that ended BADLY, as the "Daddy see the buck " comment from one of the cars sent them back from where they came...

My point is this...   A buck that you would be totally pumped to shoot, at the highest level happens within range of you... Would you prefer to have it unfold over minutes if not an hour, from hundreds of yards away, or would you prefer to just be "surprised" where it all happens so fast it's a split second decision...

I have had a lot more of the latter, than the former for sure.   But nothing gets your blood pumping more than seeing one from a great distance and watching it close the gap and then you realize it really could happen!    

I bet the common answer will be " I don't care how it happens as long as it happens""    LOL

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

I think you hit 2 of the 3 possibilities...I would prefer either of those over just enough time to shake you up to all hell and THEN get your shot opportunity. Normally if it happens in seconds, you have no time to think...or if it happens over the course of a long period of time, you have plenty of time to think and then calm down. Somewhere in between there is the chaos I hope to avoid! :)

I prefer it to be somewhat quick. Most of my "chokes" have occurred when I had too much time to look over the deer. But yes, as long as it happens I will take it either way! 

Edited by 3 Blade

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Waking up around noon on an all day sit with a shooter 25 yards from me giving me a perfect slight quartering away shot is what I would love lol but I'd like it to either be a surprise or a scenario where I see the deer a few hundred yards away, have it disappear, then come out of no where within range.

i both loved and hated what happened tonight. .To glass a giant buck from 300 yards out in open dirt, with no cover, in broad daylight close to one moderately traveled road and a few hundred yards away from a busy county road - with his sole purpose being to follow that 1.5 year old stupid doe wherever she wants to go, and then realizeing that "it's gonna happen" as she is clearly heading for the bait site I established for exactly this reason ( a crack a huge buck wher you have no other access but know it's a target rich environment despite being 600 yards from any real bedding areas.   It's been a long time since any buck gave me adrenaline pre-shot... It's always post shot.  That was a loooong time to see it unfold!

It's a very unique and different hunt - it started last year as "last minute, not time for a real hunt" site because the deer generally only show 30 minute before dark or just past dawn.  But when the trail cam started to show last year 5 to 6 shooters in less than classic habitat as opposed to zero shooters where I primarily hunt in much better habitat and food, it become quite the attraction.  

Damn that buck affected me tonight... Been a looooong time since that happened.  I just passed a 125 class buck  in Ohio and didn't even pick up the bow, no adrenaline at all because I had my sites set on something much bigger, This buck was just tad bigger but it was in NJ in a rather odd setting.

Edited by JHbowhunter

I shot a big 10pt once….

For me, the longer it takes the better because the initial adrenaline surge has time to wear off.    

I don't get that initial surge for some reason, must be that I am in a constant "stupor" and it takes time to set in LOL

I shot a big 10pt once….

I think my mind says I'd love to see him walking from 200 or 300yds away, but for the excitement of the hunt, turning my head to see a monster and sealing the deal would probably top everything else.

Yeah....my best and only buck (hey, stop judging me!) was a complete suprise. Totally calm. Now I get worked up when seeing any deer come in....

605f38b8f0dda5563859e2b76d61b6fd.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

- Mack

I would just like to open my freezer and have it walk in, packaged, on its own.

The long, meandering walk into the kill always makes for a suspenseful story.  But I think I'd prefer something quick.  However, I'll take what I've given and be thankful for that.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Quick and easy is good, but there is a certain satisfaction of watching it all play out and being successful in taking the animal. Some guys will tell you they overthink it and mess up the shot by letting nerves get the beat of them or what have you. My first thought is to kill that animal and keep thinking in the positive.as long as everything comes into play. A few years ago I was covered in deer and a bruiser was with them. My dilemma was trying to get the buck into shooting range without blowing out the scene as the other deer were right there at my tree. Stuck between a rock and a hard place, but not once did I think myself into a problem. I just knew that it was best to let it happen if it was going to. Unfortunately, it didn't. However, the experience was a success as I didn't blow my cover and learned from it.

Edited by _X7