IGNORED

positive stories with other hunters you didn't know

mazzgolf

I've bitched and complained enough about how my stuff keeps getting stolen :) But I have to believe there are positive stories people can share.

It's time to be positive - it's the start of a new season! And it has to be that not everyone is a scumbag out there, right?

So, here's to the non-scumbags amongst us  :cheers:

A couple stories I can share:

1. Walking to a spot on public land where I've hunted geese before and I saw a new blind on the edge of the field - looked like a waterfowl spot for geese. I put a note on the blind. Got a call a week or so later. Turns out it was a guy that I had met before at this WMA once before. We got together last year and we combined our decoys and hunted geese a few times and had a good time. Been texting with the guy for a while now and I'm sure we'll continue to get together to hunt geese at this spot. So I got a new waterfowl partner to hang out with all because I left a note. (note: this is the guy who I attempted to give my new camo fabric to so he can cover up the blind - left the fabric in the blind in a plastic bag tied to a post - and someone stole it before the guy could get it and put it up But... POSITIVE! thinking positive!)

2. Found a tree stand in an area close to where I've been wanting to hunt. Rather than risk screwing up hunts by us walking in on one another, I left a note on the climbing sticks. Guy called me back and was amazed I didn't steal anything but instead left a friendly note. I told him I was new hunting this area and he offered to meet me and he'd walk me around. I showed up and he walked me around and showed me a couple spots I could set up in my climber (one of the spots was too good - twice I walked in on bedded deer in the dark). Turns out he lives nearby and knew the area pretty well. Unfortunately, right before 6-day, that stand of his where i left my note was stolen (POSTIVE! GOT...TO...STAY... POSITIVE!)

Great thread idea! I hunt a private spot in zone 16 that's about 90 acres. Last year I was hunting in October and took a doe. It ran about 100 yards over some railroad tracks. As I was getting down to go recover my deer I heard a crossbow go off. I waited to cross the tracks till it got a little darker and watched a guy climb down a stand I didn't know was there. Instead of freaking out on each other for being on the same land we talked and helped each other recover our deer. Turned out to be a super nice guy who had also hunted the same spot for years that the owner never mentioned. We have become good friends and hunt together frequently. Always seem to see more deer when we are together. Moral of the story is the first encounter you have with someone means everything. We were friendly instead of hating each other for hunting the same land and I gained a friend out of it! We have already made some good memories and I look forward to many more. Always keep an open mind to who you see in the woods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All other hunters suck- they shoot "my deer", etc. Just kidding- this is a good thread. I have met a lot of people that have become friends. I had one pull me out after getting stuck for the first time ever in my car. I have had numerous times with helping drag deer. I have introduced some to some of my spots where they have taken their first deer. There are a bunch of great guys out there- it is a shame the douche bags seem to always get the spotlight though for stealing shit, setting up 10 feet from your ladder stand, and many other scenarios. 

I ran into another hunter last year on a piece of public land while baiting for bear. We got to talking and let each other know where are set ups were and had exchanged cell numbers. He offered to help me with the drag if I connected since I would be hunting by myself (he was hunting with a buddy of his and had other guys on standby). I did connect but did not need his help. It was good to know I had help available if needed.

I met a couple of members from this site in the past year and a half who were generous, including....

LivetoHunt , who had a spot with a bunch of turkey , we met in the spring just before the season and he showed me where they were.(I never scored :) )

I also met BHC recently because he was giving away some cooking grease for bear bait. Come to think of it, we exchanged numbers last season to potentially help each other out with dragging of bears if needed.

I have also met another member here that I won't mention since he doesn't post much who started doing my taxidermy work and we have become quite friendly. He has hooked me up with some good bear bait at a very good price($0)

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

For those that leave stuff on public land my 2 questions are :

Do you leave your car and house unlocked ?

If you do are you really shocked when your stuff is taken ?

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

For those that leave stuff on public land my 2 questions are :

Do you leave your car and house unlocked ?

If you do are you really shocked when your stuff is taken ?

POSITIVE! Think POSITIVE in this thread :) You have any stories of people you've met in the field that you didn't know before but came away thinking, "That was a nice guy"?

Edited by mazzgolf

POSITIVE! Think POSITIVE in this thread :) You have any stories of people you've met in the field that you didn't know before but came away thinking, "That was a nice guy"?

I think positive also. People positively suck. Especially when it comes to stuf that ain't theirs

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

One turkey season I set up on a bird, but unbeknownst to another fella set up on the same bird! We both worked the bird for a bit before it got tired of us both and walked off, when I got back to my truck the end of the day I found a note on my truck for this other guy, I gave him a call and now we've been hunting and fishing together for a bit over 15 years now.

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

Met a guy from SI. in the lot while getting ready to leave. We chatted and exchanged stand locations so we wouldn't screw each other.  Traded phone numbers and became good hunting buddies. I gave him some spots and vica versa. One day he called, he was half way to the lot from SI. He wanted to know if I was there and if I was using my Crossbow or Mathews, he forgot his bolts at home, I was halfway to my stand and told him I would leave him a bolt behind a certain tree. We both knew the area good and he thanked me. Sad to say I never met another hunter in the woods that I would trust with my stand locations, been screwed to many times.  But I never give up hope on our youth.

I ran into another hunter last year on a piece of public land while baiting for bear. We got to talking and let each other know where are set ups were and had exchanged cell numbers. He offered to help me with the drag if I connected since I would be hunting by myself (he was hunting with a buddy of his and had other guys on standby). I did connect but did not need his help. It was good to know I had help available if needed.

I met a couple of members from this site in the past year and a half who were generous, including....

LivetoHunt , who had a spot with a bunch of turkey , we met in the spring just before the season and he showed me where they were.(I never scored :) )

I also met BHC recently because he was giving away some cooking grease for bear bait. Come to think of it, we exchanged numbers last season to potentially help each other out with dragging of bears if needed.

I have also met another member here that I won't mention since he doesn't post much who started doing my taxidermy work and we have become quite friendly. He has hooked me up with some good bear bait at a very good price($0)

Yea Mike your a good guy. Next year hopefully.

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

Through the years of doing a lot of hunts I have met a lot of great people. I hunted bear in Maine 10 years ago and met a great guy. I finally talked him into going to Kansas with me because of no success in Illinois. The last 2 years he has come out and killed 2 bucks and he brought his buddy last year and he killed a buck. Will see them again this year. Met a great guy from Canada on a caribou hunt and he is planning to join me in Kansas in the near future. I never thought that I would meet so many great people. It has become a great part of my hunting. I also have become great friends with the guy who leases the land to me in Kansas. Back some years I met a guy in Illinois Ken from PA and he introduced me to another guy Mike in Wisconsin. I hunted Mikes property and killed 4 awesome bucks there. My biggest buck still was killed off of Mikes property. Wonderful generous guys all met through the love of our great sport. Anyway great post. POSTIVE GOT TO STAY POSITIVE I also have met some great guys on here. This is a great place

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

Two seasons ago (my first full season of hunting ) I had a few great bucks on camera . One awesome 8 pointer that played cat and

Mouse with me all of fall bow . I had him on camera every day for months. He disappeared come rut , I saw him one or two more times while hunting but never could get him. One evening I hear a shotgun blast coming from down the road a ways , and for some reason I had this sinking feeling . A day or two later I see a buck on the other site , and There was that 8 pointer . On the ground . It was a little roller coaster for me , but I sucked it up , messaged the gentleman , and said hey I have tons of pictures of your buck from velvet till the rut,, and I'm pretty sure we're neighbors .

I'm not going to single him out but he's become a friend over the last few years , and has been kind enough to guide me and help make

My first food plot.

Opening day of the 6 day I got to my ladder stand on public land and there was another guy sitting in it.  I told him it was my stand and he shone his light down on me and said, "F you, I was here first, get lost".   So I went about 200 yards and sat down, and about 7am shot a big 9 point.  I had to drag the deer back past his stand on the way out and I didn't hear him say anything, so maybe he was happy for me. Would like to thank that guy for helping me out in such a positive way. Never would have gotten that buck without his advice.

Edited by Nomad