IGNORED

Couple of fly-fishing firsts today.

Matty

So today I caught my first fish on flies that I tied. I actually slayed them on the rs-2's that I tied up. My first 3 drifts, I landed fish on my own creations. Ended up landing 9 on that fly. Lost count for total on the day. I simply caught a lot of fish. A monster breeder broke me off too after a long hard battle. So close to landing him and then SNAP.

I also caught my first fish on a dry fly. Was amazing because I was about 4' above the water on some rocks, so I had a birds eye view. Kept watching this fish rise over and over. Kept watching him trying to figure out what he was eating, but I couldn't tell. (not that knowledgeable with fly fishing yet)

So first I threw a parachute adams over him. He rose up to it, but didn't take.

After a few more uneventful drifts, I switched to an elk hair caddis. Not even a look after several drifts.

I really only have two more options for dry flies left in my box (for now) and one is a black ant...so I figured my only real option is the size 18 griffiths gnat.

First good drift over the fish, I watched him plain as day come up from behind a rock and take my fly. Coolest thing ever. Hard to go back to nymphs after seeing that....lol 

I probably could have landed a few more on the dries, because fish were rising like crazy after that, but a 12 year old kid came up to me and wanted to know how to catch fish. So I spent the next 2 hours teaching him what I could. Luckily I had some tackle for him in the car since he had nothing that would catch trout. He finally caught his first trout after weeks of trying. Was a nice 14" rainbow....beautiful color. 

Also the first time I've ever been checked for a license while fishing. lol

So a lot of firsts today. I wish I had pictures, but after dropping my phone in the river a few weeks ago, I don't take chances anymore.

Really loving fly fishing so far and really enjoy tying flies too. 

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

Nice but reading about catching fish without pictures is like watching paint dry. Just saying

I also dropped my phone in off my kayak a few weeks ago in 10 foot of water. It sucks but I still will get pictures.

Edited by Buck154

Nice Story even without photos. I have drowned some 5 flip phones and this winter got New flip phone That is Water Proof Shock Proof even has walkeTalke feature. but never taken photos from any of them.only from my Canon Power Shot SX 130 12X optical Zoom. in water Proof Bag.  

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

Oh I have a picture for ya, ya son of a....but I won't be allowed back on after I post it.  :devious:  :rofl:

Like paint drying....well I got news for you, I'm even more boring in person.  :rofl:

I guess I'll have to hire a photographer.  :nerd:  :fishing:

Droptine 26, I was at the Musconetcong river. It's the closest trout fishery to my house, so I end up there most often. Water didn't seem high like I expected after the rains, it seemed pretty normal to me...Then again, I know basically nothing about this stuff compared to some guys on here. All I'll say is that I found it to be very fish-able.

http://www.orvis.com/new-jersey-fly-fishing-reports

The link above is to the Orvis site fishing reports, they give you the flow charts for a few of our trout streams, and have fishing updates, etc. Sometimes I check that before I go (when I remember to). I haven't been to the flatbrook in ages, so that's the best I can do for you.

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

Nice Story even without photos. I have drowned some 5 flip phones and this winter got New flip phone That is Water Proof Shock Proof even has walkeTalke feature. but never taken photos from any of them.only from my Canon Power Shot SX 130 12X optical Zoom. in water Proof Bag.  

Thanks. That sucks about drowning all those phones. I actually like the flip phones better too...I only recently got a stupid "smart" phone. I honestly hate these things. Electronic leashes. I've thought about getting rid of a cell phone all together. Lived without one for more than half my life....Do I really need the damn thing? Only time it's been a Godsend, is if you break down somewhere. Other than that, I barely use it.

A guy I met on the river a week or so ago mentioned carrying a waterproof camera. I guess I could look into that.

Another reason I don't take pictures of trout is that I always get all panicked that they're going to die. Some of the reading I've done recently has me thinking these things are like fragile glass trinkets that can't be touched or taken out of the water. I really do want them to live when I release them...So for now I keep the cell phone safe and just get them back in the water immediately.

now you're hooked! I just got my first smart phone last summer and I'm still pretty clumsy with it when trying to photograph trout. I used to carry a small point-n-shoot waterproof Olympus that took pretty good pics, might go back to that if it still works. Nothing better than getting em on your own tye, even cooler when you fool them with a bug of your own creation. Congrats

without me, my rifle is nothing

Uh oh...looks like we may have to enroll you in some DARE classes (Dryfly Abuse Resistance Education). Just ask bucksandbows...one can easily get too addicted to the rise of a trout to a well presented fly and forsake all other forms of fly-fishing. it is a huge problem that leads to many bad fishing habits...tying flies and drinking heavily...sitting in your car with a pair of binoculars waiting to see fish rise before heading down to the river...becoming lazy and skipping beautifully fishy pocket water because the wading is too hard....drinking all day and only fishing in the evenings during a hatch....sitting in the middle of the river waiting for the bugs to come off with your fly still hooked to your guide while you polish off your flask or those few beers you were able to stuff in your pack...leaving the river dejected that mother nature would treat such a purist angler in that way and forcing you to drink more to drown your sorrows. you see where I am going here? Basically dryfly fishing turns you into a snooty alcoholic. 

https://waterwatch.usgs.gov/?m=real&r=nj

That link will be your best friend when you want to determine whether a river is fishable. All the major creeks, rivers have gauges. All rivers have different levels as to what you can safely wade in and what the best fishing conditions are. While one river may be unfishable at 400CFS, another might be fishing great at that level. Before you go fishing, take a peek at the gauges and get familiar with how each river looks at different levels. 

As far as determining what fish are feeding on, it is important to understand what hatches at that time of year and time of day in those particular weather conditions. The bugs are constantly changing due to the time of year, time of day and conditions. You have generic time frames when certain mayflies, caddis and stones hatch. Then you also have different stages within a hatch. Fish could be feeding on emergers, duns or spinners(fish mainly eat nymphs but according to bucksandbows, thats too easy). The way a fish rises to eat will often say a lot about what they're eating and what stage of the hatch youre in...are the rises spalshy? are they gently sipping? are there bubbles? Learn to look at the water to see if theres any bugs floating. You can bring a bug net with you and seine the water if nothing is easily visible. Look in the air above the water and see whats flying around. look at whats clinging to the bushes and rocks and tree leaves on the side of the river. What time of day is it? is it cloudy/misting? whats the water temp? What bugs like those conditions that generally hatch during this time of the year on this particular river? It takes some time. I am certainly a novice but can more often than not get a decent idea of what fish are feeding on and pick an appropriate fly. many other times I cant and end up stumped and frustrated...feeling like an idiot because an animal with such a tiny brain got the best of me(and yes, i know my brain isnt that big either but its bigger than theirs). 

Anyway...the fun part is figuring it out. When you get it right, its amazing!