IGNORED

6 Day Blues

So, recently during any season, I have been hard pressed to hunt. Between work and trying to hunt state woods it is pretty depressing. I have had some really good locations on state woods and as of late I am being invaded by people everywhere I go, and I know I am not the only one. It does seem, however, that people just don't care, or maybe they just don't realize that they are cutting you off. I recently spoke to a man who said I put my stand here because there were so many tracks in the area. He, however didn't look beyond the tracks 30 yards to see my stand. now there are 3 in a 50 yard radius. I drove by a piece I muzzle load and there were 3 trucks in a .25 mile stretch. I have tried everything from hiding my stand and paths not using tacks to making it completely obvious that someone is hunting in the area and neither have commanded any respect. sorry for the rant, but NJ hunting is really ticking me off. Good luck to all, even the last minute hunters.

There is no way to change this. Its a function of too many people in a small area. You need to find another spot, go much deeper, maybe with a climber. Most people hunt close to the edges because they are unwilling or unable or afraid to go deep.

Another option is to join some kind of lease like many of us do, to separate yourself from the crowds. You pay but you enjoy yourself while hunting without all this aggravation.

Go in deeper, I abandon my usual bow spots during 6 day and I sit in the middle of a huge swamp, let the other guys push deer to you, I have been hunting the same tree for 10 years and never had a guy too close, meanwhile there's 5-10 trucks parked along the drive in, those guys just don't go in too deep. You may not see as many deer in the swamps and thick stuff, I've only killed 2 bucks out of this tree in 10 years but both bucks strolled by midday coming from where the other guys hunt and both are my biggest jersey bucks to date. Those old deer know when it's time to o where no one is willing to go

This may sound ass backwards but take the time today to drive the roads and make note of where everyone has been parking.  Get yourself a map and then take a look at where you can park to do one of the following...

1)  Just park where nobody else is

2) Try and find a spot whereby you can take advantage of them coming into and leaving their spots.

3)  Many hunters take the path of least resistance...if there is an option of whether to go low or get up high on the mountain, go high and try to find the path of least resistance going up, it's usually the one the deer will take after being pressured up hill

4)  Get in long before everyone else and stay later then everyone else

5) Stay mobile.  Get a seat cushion.

6)  Don't freak out with deer drivers coming through.  It sucks big time but allow time after they pass through for the deer to come by and double back.  It happens more often then you realize.

In other words, use the pressure to your advantage.  

Edited by buckfever1974

So, recently during any season, I have been hard pressed to hunt. Between work and trying to hunt state woods it is pretty depressing. I have had some really good locations on state woods and as of late I am being invaded by people everywhere I go, and I know I am not the only one. It does seem, however, that people just don't care, or maybe they just don't realize that they are cutting you off. I recently spoke to a man who said I put my stand here because there were so many tracks in the area. He, however didn't look beyond the tracks 30 yards to see my stand. now there are 3 in a 50 yard radius. I drove by a piece I muzzle load and there were 3 trucks in a .25 mile stretch. I have tried everything from hiding my stand and paths not using tacks to making it completely obvious that someone is hunting in the area and neither have commanded any respect. sorry for the rant, but NJ hunting is really ticking me off. Good luck to all, even the last minute hunters.

I would have to assume you are in middle or South Jersey because I always hear how there is no one hunting public lands from the North Jersey guys. I have the same issue constantly in south west Jersey, and for those who say go in deeper...there is no such thing. Even on a 5000 acre WMA, you cannot go deep enough to get away from people, and seems plenty of hunters follow that "go in deeper" advice because there are stands everywhere, no matter how deep you go. 

My advice for public land would be to hunt off times, and keep looking during the season to see where others are hunting, and maybe you'll find some elbow room, but it probably will not last long. Bow season is almost as crowded as shotgun season on a lot of the WMA's I hunt now, seems like the increase in hunters and decrease in available land has crammed a lot of people on very limited ground. Good luck, keep trying.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

One word. CLIMBER.  Sometimes setting a stand in a good location is only giving away your position to other hunters. It might have otherwise been passed up but some idiot saw your stand and realized its probably a good spot.  If you are dealing with too many people you have to hunt hard. That's the unfortunate bottom line. You may have to walk farther and hunt with a climber and this may make those quick hunts where you can jump into a pre set stand go away. So that sucks but your hunts will be way more rewarding.  Stop telegraphing your hunting spots. Second, just because there are a lot of stands around doesn't mean they are hunted often. Plenty of idiots hang stands thinking they are claiming an area and don't even hunt them.  Aside from that, stand or not if you have a climber just climb the tree right next to it if no one is hunting. If they are there then hunt somewhere else. You have to start learning other hunters movements along with the deer.  You will be fine, just change it up.

There is no way to change this. Its a function of too many people in a small area. You need to find another spot, go much deeper, maybe with a climber. Most people hunt close to the edges because they are unwilling or unable or afraid to go deep.

Another option is to join some kind of lease like many of us do, to separate yourself from the crowds. You pay but you enjoy yourself while hunting without all this aggravation.

Typically I do find another spot and just give up a nice are because people typically ruin my hunt and not worth my aggravation which in turn leads to frustration  ha.   What are some of the leases.  I've been looking for some out of state and just giving up on nj

Go in deeper, I abandon my usual bow spots during 6 day and I sit in the middle of a huge swamp, let the other guys push deer to you, I have been hunting the same tree for 10 years and never had a guy too close, meanwhile there's 5-10 trucks parked along the drive in, those guys just don't go in too deep. You may not see as many deer in the swamps and thick stuff, I've only killed 2 bucks out of this tree in 10 years but both bucks strolled by midday coming from where the other guys hunt and both are my biggest jersey bucks to date. Those old deer know when it's time to o where no one is willing to go

I like the swamps but recently have not had much luck .

This may sound ass backwards but take the time today to drive the roads and make note of where everyone has been parking.  Get yourself a map and then take a look at where you can park to do one of the following...

1)  Just park where nobody else is

2) Try and find a spot whereby you can take advantage of them coming into and leaving their spots.

3)  Many hunters take the path of least resistance...if there is an option of whether to go low or get up high on the mountain, go high and try to find the path of least resistance going up, it's usually the one the deer will take after being pressured up hill

4)  Get in long before everyone else and stay later then everyone else

5) Stay mobile.  Get a seat cushion.

6)  Don't freak out with deer drivers coming through.  It sucks big time but allow time after they pass through for the deer to come by and double back.  It happens more often then you realize.

In other words, use the pressure to your advantage.  

Today I did this on the way to work that's how I know of the people parked in a .25 mile stretch

I would have to assume you are in middle or South Jersey because I always hear how there is no one hunting public lands from the North Jersey guys. I have the same issue constantly in south west Jersey, and for those who say go in deeper...there is no such thing. Even on a 5000 acre WMA, you cannot go deep enough to get away from people, and seems plenty of hunters follow that "go in deeper" advice because there are stands everywhere, no matter how deep you go. 

My advice for public land would be to hunt off times, and keep looking during the season to see where others are hunting, and maybe you'll find some elbow room, but it probably will not last long. Bow season is almost as crowded as shotgun season on a lot of the WMA's I hunt now, seems like the increase in hunters and decrease in available land has crammed a lot of people on very limited ground. Good luck, keep trying.

I am from south jersey, we probably hunt or have hunted some of the same woods. Do to my job I cant get in trouble over a deer so I pack up and move a bunch often leads to no tags filled

I am from south jersey, we probably hunt or have hunted some of the same woods. Do to my job I cant get in trouble over a deer so I pack up and move a bunch often leads to no tags filled

Yeah, I had the same type of job. I find that if you bury the bodies deep enough in the swamp where they are never found, you don't get in any trouble at work.

I now hunt, or have hunted, thoroughly, probably 75 percent of the WMA's in 27, 28, 29, 31 and 35 (retired, so plenty of time), and am still looking for what you seek. Good luck.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

ive written at length about how terrible a hunter i am,  i have access through Morris County Parks and ive scouted an entire piece of land top to bottom, ive checked every way in and out.  Saddest day was when i realized i just can do it anymore, someones stand every 500 yards, people on your cameras all the time no matter how far in you go.  it ends up making you not wanna go anymore. 

This post topic sounds like the title of a song.  I am going to start writing one...

Ohhhhhh, I got them six-day blues.....

Not sure which stand I'm gonna' choose....

Slugs or shot, which one to use....

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

This post topic sounds like the title of a song.  I am going to start writing one...

Not sure which stand I'm gonna' choose....

Slugs or shot, which one to use....

Here, I'll add a stanza:

Some guy in orange just came through

I'm wearing my bib but I have to poo

I'd love to move out west but in NJ I'm stuck

Oh god, did I just year "yo buck!"?

Got those 6 day blues.....

Here, I'll add a stanza:

Some guy in orange just came through

I'm wearing my bib but I have to poo

I'd love to move out west but in NJ I'm stuck

Oh god, did I just year "yo buck!"?

Got those 6 day blues.....

I kind of prefer this one for 6-day...sung to Andy Williams' "It's The Most Wonderful Time of The Year". 

To get the cadence right, the "yo buck" is where the "ding dong" is in the song.

It’s the most horrible time of the year.

Yo buck, yo buck

When the clubs are a gathering and they’re all preparing to shoot every deeeeerrrr

It’s the most horrible time of the year

Yo buck, yo buck

They’re the hap hapless most hunters of all

Yo buck, yo buck

The brush they’re busting the buckshot’s a flyin’ was that even a deeeeerrrr

They’re the hap hapless most hunters of all

Yo buck, yo buck

Plenty of beer they’ll be drinking and clothes will be stinking of cigarettes and Michelob

There’ll be scary hunt stories and tales of the glories of big drives from long, long agoooooo

It’s the most horrible time of the year

They’ll be much yelling and screaming, trespassing and stealing and missing of deeeerrrr

It’s the most horrible time,    the most horrible time,      the most horrible time    of the yeeeeaaaarrrr.

Edited by DV1