IGNORED

Getting chicks today...

the electrolytes and probolic I alawys use for chicks. it comes in little orange and green packages at tsc. its cheap.I also put the electrolytes in my adult chickens water in the dead of summer when it is real hot. but for chicks it is a good idea to use it to help them grow strong when they are most susceptible. the medicated feed I only use if I loose more than 1 chick or I see one has watery eyes or mucous on nose or mouth.

Edited by rgw

you will learn, when they get a bit older you will have to get wound cleaner, then after it drys u I put no peck on it which drys and covers wound area so other chickens dont pick it while it is healing. you will need food grade Diatomaceous earth, for dusting, that is real important to keep mites down. you will also want a second cageing area set up, I call this the hospital. if one gets a cough runny eyes or mouth, or is standing in one place being lethargic, she needs to be separated from the rest. one infected chicken can spread through the flock quick. and here is the best one you ready for this. ky jelly for when they become egg bound. if they become egg bound you need to get a tub of warm salty water with dawn dish soap in it and put hen in it for half hour or so. with any hope this will relax her and help it come out. if this doesnt do it you need to lube your finger, vent and inside her and try to gently rotate egg without breaking it in her.

recommend, wood shavings, whatever room you keep them in will be covered in dust by the time they are old enough to move outside.

Buy a heated water bucket if it will be outdoors and freeze.. I built them a 10x22ft run recently..  ... They will destroy the lawn in a few months.

You will need 50+ lbs of starter feed.

Use the pine shavings under newspaper for easy weekly clean up. Pine shavings are in bagged/ baled form at $2-3 at Tractor Supply. 

A chick sized waterer and feeder tray will work for chicks.

Get the silver work lamp with a clamp on it to monitor the brooder temps.

Be prepared for the feed/feather dust in the room.

you feeding them medicated chick food and putting electrolyte and parabolic in their water.

you will have to get wound cleaner, then after it drys u I put no peck on it which drys and covers wound area so other chickens dont pick it while it is healing.

you will need food grade Diatomaceous earth, for dusting, that is real important to keep mites down.

you will also want a second cageing area set up, I call this the hospital.

if one gets a cough runny eyes or mouth, or is standing in one place being lethargic, she needs to be separated from the rest. one infected chicken can spread through the flock quick.

here is the best one you ready for this. ky jelly for when they become egg bound. if they become egg bound you need to get a tub of warm salty water with dawn dish soap in it and put hen in it for half hour or so. with any hope this will relax her and help it come out. if this doesnt do it you need to lube your finger, vent and inside her and try to gently rotate egg without breaking it in her.

Hey all - thanks for convincing me to never, ever get chickens  :rofl:

To add to the developing poultry diet: As adults the feed sources are limited to farm and feed stores or Petco "online" recurring monthly delivery. The feed is shipped via UPS, tyd.

The Stand alone Petco stores do not carry chicken supplies.

Do you guys that keep chickens also fox hunt?

I see fox often while deer hunting (probably 10% of the time) and let them walk by, but I'm pretty sure if I had chickens free-ranging my property I'd be motivated to hunt them.  Just curious.

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775

Do you guys that keep chickens also fox hunt?

I see fox often while deer hunting (probably 10% of the time) and let them walk by, but I'm pretty sure if I had chickens free-ranging my property I'd be motivated to hunt them.  Just curious.

If one comes into my backyard I certainly do but birds of prey are a bigger threat than foxes for my chickens.