IGNORED

Broadheads

So I tired slick trick fixed blades out of the xbow.  Didn’t notice the plane at 20 yds.   At 45 was crazy low and right even thought field points were spot on 

switched to grim reaper xbow heads.     Shot like the field point.   Would shoot a deer out to 45 with them.   I personally havnt shot any game with them but the guy that turned me on to  them had shot several and reported large holes and hood blood trails 

they are in my quiver waiting to be used 

1 hour ago, fab said:

So I tired slick trick fixed blades out of the xbow.  Didn’t notice the plane at 20 yds.   At 45 was crazy low and right even thought field points were spot on 

switched to grim reaper xbow heads.     Shot like the field point.   Would shoot a deer out to 45 with them.   I personally havnt shot any game with them but the guy that turned me on to  them had shot several and reported large holes and hood blood trails 

they are in my quiver waiting to be used 

A broadhead not need to shoot exactly the same as field points. They need to have a consistent POI. If they fly the same each time, just adjust your scope accordingly. 

If you really like the head, you can use it if it flies the same all the time. 

If you changed ammo in your gun and the new ammo shot differently, would you keep changing ammo to make it the same as before?

Consistency is what matters. 

Edited by archer36

The issue I had with the slick trick 4 blade was it was about 2 inches right and low at 20 yds.   At 45 it was like 8 inches right and low (using the 40 yd circle ). I think the fixed heads are hard to group out of a fast xbow.  I was shooting 390 ft per second as posted by manufacturer.   I shoot wasp drone out of the compound and they fly great.     The whitetail specials fly nice out of the xbow

41 minutes ago, fab said:

The issue I had with the slick trick 4 blade was it was about 2 inches right and low at 20 yds.   At 45 it was like 8 inches right and low (using the 40 yd circle ). I think the fixed heads are hard to group out of a fast xbow.  I was shooting 390 ft per second as posted by manufacturer.   I shoot wasp drone out of the compound and they fly great.     The whitetail specials fly nice out of the xbow

That's right. The high FPS bows do have a hard time with all fixed heads. It's just physics. It usually starts at around 400 fps. Some will shoot better than others. Some that have been said to shoot well are QAD Exodus, Muzzy Trocars, and Slick Tricks but not over 400 fps. You will basically be limited to a mechanical. Again, it's physics. 

You may get good flight from a small two blade broadhead but why limit the damage you can make with all that horsepower and a big mechanical. 

Edited by archer36

On 4/1/2024 at 9:03 AM, Boykin Runner said:

I shoot a crossbow ( sorry guys , I cant find a compound for my reach. 7' across my chest  ) So far 8-8 with Rage 125 all have dropped  with in 60 yds.

Shoot what you want, but if you want a compound, some of the guys that are 6’5” with 7’ wing spans usually shoot one of these:  Hoyt Highline or Double XL, PSE Evo 35 LD, PSE Evo XF33, Mathews Atlas, Mathews Traverse. Some bows go out to 34” DL these days. Can’t imagine what some of their speeds are. 

9 minutes ago, Jcol6268 said:

Shoot what you want, but if you want a compound, some of the guys that are 6’5” with 7’ wing spans usually shoot one of these:  Hoyt Highline or Double XL, PSE Evo 35 LD, PSE Evo XF33, Mathews Atlas, Mathews Traverse. Some bows go out to 34” DL these days. Can’t imagine what some of their speeds are. 

Thank you , I've talked with reps from Hoyt and Mathews they said nothing in stock it would be custom made at a ridiculous price plus the cost of custom arrows at 36" . From my research ,looking at $3,000.00 plus . I'll keep on the look out .

I've had good results with the Nap you want to switch from, Grim Reaper Minimags (not so much whitetail special), and then last fall I tried the MegaMeat. Best of all IMHO. Mega Meat do massive damage and perform much better with a quartering away than does, say, a Grim Reaper Whitetail Special that does so well on a deer that's fully broadside.  And for me they fly great.

Edited by JFC1

11 minutes ago, JFC1 said:

I've had good results with the Nap you want to switch from, Grim Reaper Minimags (not so much whitetail special), and then last fall I tried the MegaMeat. Best of all IMHO. Mega Meat do massive damage and perform much better with a quartering away than does, say, a Grim Reaper Whitetail Special that does so well on a deer that's fully broadside.  And for me they fly great.

Rockymountainswitchblade I've had great results with all angles.  I won't shoot a mechanical with out a regular cut though

17 minutes ago, JFC1 said:

Not sure what your reaper issue is .

i have taken a few hundred deer with those heads.

i can think of 2 that made it more than 75 yards , and i still watched them drop .and you could see the blood trail from the deer stand to the deer 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

40 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Not sure what your reaper issue is .

i have taken a few hundred deer with those heads.

i can think of 2 that made it more than 75 yards , and i still watched them drop .and you could see the blood trail from the deer stand to the deer 

Yeah, you've commented on this before and I agree on the blood trails and that the whitetail specials travel well. But I've seen them jump around in weird, weird ways inside the deer as well as deflect off ribs when shot at a quartering away deer. Each time with a crossbow that shoots about 380 fps