IGNORED

Permits Basics

smungung

3 minutes ago, smungung said:

What’s this ghost turkey thing, Just areas where there aren’t many? Why even buy the tags if it’s slim pickings in those zones?

There are plenty of birds in those zones . Just tough getting access 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

1 hour ago, smungung said:

What’s this ghost turkey thing, Just areas where there aren’t many? Why even buy the tags if it’s slim pickings in those zones?

There are pockets of Turkeys in the Northren most Counties  of Sussex,Passaic, + Bergen.

Just takes alot more Boot Leather to get to them. They are like Ghosts sometimes along these Rocky Ridges.

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

4 minutes ago, fab said:

I don’t buy that.   Put corn out for 5 months and never get a turkey pic.   They ain’t their 

There are several factors.  Cover food( insects) for starters.  New growth is best.  Get a burn in a turkey void piece and birds are there in about 2 weeks

8 minutes ago, fab said:

I don’t buy that.   Put corn out for 5 months and never get a turkey pic.   They ain’t their 

My best spots Never have turkeys year round 

They show up yearly the last few days of February into first few weeks of March .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

On 3/20/2024 at 6:54 PM, Fred Flintstone said:

I would say the big Problem New Jersey has for all the Hot Zones- say Warren County down to extreme Southren New Jersey is the number of Pennsylvania Spring Turkey Hunters applying  both in the Lottery as well as the over the counter period.

With Limited Turkey Permit numbers for each Zone and each week or Saturdays -- resident New Jersey Turkey Hunters have to compete with many Pennsylvania Hunters. I believe  their Spring Turkey opener is May 4th this year.

I am a non Resident  hunter myself from New York. But,I never see another New Yorker in the Turkey Ghost Zones of 5,6, + 7. I do see hordes of New Jersey Turkey Hunters in Sterling Forest,NY though.

My 35th Spring is coming up. I hope to hear 1 Gobbler in Zone 7- lol.

Fred, do you pay more for a NJ turkey tag being a non-resident ?

17 minutes ago, Otter said:

Fred, do you pay more for a NJ turkey tag being a non-resident ?

No. My Non Resident Hunting License is $135.50 a year.

That is a good Question though!  Non Residents should pay more . I would definitely  pay twice that or $42 Bucks for a Non Resident Turkey Permit and probably  buy up 3 of them.

In New York,I pay just $10 Bucks for 2 Spring+ 1 Fall Turkey Permit.

And non resident Turkey Hunters pay just $20 Bucks for the 2 Spring Turkey Permits + 1 Fall Turkey Permit. New York has a pretty good deal going on for Non Resident Turkey Hunters. 

And a non Resident Hunting in New York just pays $100 Bucks.

Does NY still charge a big fee for an archery stamp for deer for non-residents? That use to be in addition to the firearm license.  Last time I hunted in NY was 2014.  Most states hit non-residents more for everything.  I hunted WV for 10 years and everything was increased for non-residents.  NJ must be asleep 

15 minutes ago, Otter said:

Does NY still charge a big fee for an archery stamp for deer for non-residents? That use to be in addition to the firearm license.  Last time I hunted in NY was 2014.  Most states hit non-residents more for everything.  I hunted WV for 10 years and everything was increased for non-residents.  NJ must be asleep 

New Jersey could be making a pile of Money especially  from Pennsylvania Non Resident Turkey + Deer Hunters. 

22 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

When I bought my NY firearm license for the first time last year, I couldn't believe how cheap it is to hunt NY as a non-resident. I had to double check everything and made sure I read their digest to see if I was missing something. I pay almost the same in turkey permits alone in NJ (as a resident!).

Yes. 1 fee to hunt entire state. NJ is a money grab for every season and zone. I get limiting the amount of hunters turkey hunting at the same time but no reason to charge for each zone and 5 weeks. 

40 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

When I bought my NY firearm license for the first time last year, I couldn't believe how cheap it is to hunt NY as a non-resident. I had to double check everything and made sure I read their digest to see if I was missing something. I pay almost the same in turkey permits alone in NJ (as a resident!).

NY's license fees were restructured, reduced, and streamlined in 2015 for both residents and non-residents. Non-residents saw the greatest reduction in costs to help stimulate more people to buy them and come to NY to hunt and fish. It was alot more expensive prior to that. It was a good thing that was done by the Cuomo Administration

The nonresident fishing license fee was cut 29 percent to $50 from $70. The nonresident hunting license was restructured and slashed by more than half to $100 for both, from $140 for big game and $85 for small game.

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

20 minutes ago, Bucndoe said:

NY's license fees were restructured, reduced, and streamlined in 2015 for both residents and non-residents. Non-residents saw the greatest reduction in costs to help stimulate more people to buy them and come to NY to hunt and fish. It was alot more expensive prior to that. It was a good thing that was done by the Cuomo Administration

The nonresident fishing license fee was cut 29 percent to $50 from $70. The nonresident hunting license was restructured and slashed by more than half to $100 for both, from $140 for big game and $85 for small game.

In 2015 also- New York slashed the Fall Turkey Seasons in huge Zones 3 +4 from 6 Weeks to 2 Weeks.

Also cut the Bag Limit from 2 Fall Turkeys to 1 Max.

And moved that Fall Turkey Season from October 1st when many other Seasons also open up such as Pheasant Season to 3 weeks later in huge Zones 3 + 4. This past Fall- it was October  21st.

At the same time the Bow Deer Season that usually started on October 21st in Zones 3 + 4 was pushed back to October 1st to give the Bow Deer Hunters an extra 3 Solid Weeks.

Basically a Switch was made.

No information so far from the DEC as to how much the Wild Turkey Population  has increased. Nearly 10 years  have gone by and no feedback yet.

I would say it was a success however from Field observation.