IGNORED

Why no "pumpkin" balls for deer hunting in NJ?

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, vdep217 said:

Because of lack of accuracy and they are very inconsistent. 

6 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

Haven’t heard “pumpkin ball” since the 1970s. :D

For the reasons others mentioned already. 

5 hours ago, Yobuck293 said:

On that logic, why allow wooden longbows?  Everyone should have to use the newest technology and best they can come up with - crossbow with a scope mandatory.  Some people enjoy hunting the way it used to be. 

5 hours ago, electric10162 said:

Patch and ball still legal for the Muzzleloader

3 hours ago, Serpentine said:

You have plenty of (s)lobs shots even with the most modern equipment now anyway. Its the hunter not the projectile.

I have been far less than impressed on a pattern board with 00 buckshot out of a great many guns.

A pumpkin ball at 30 is probably a lot more reliable than a load of buck at 60 

That said, my question was why.    It seems that accuracy is the reason.

Thanks all.

Edited by GetOutdoors

3 minutes ago, GetOutdoors said:

I have been far less than impressed on a pattern board with 00 buckshot out of a great many guns.

A pumpkin ball at 30 is probably a lot more reliable than a load of buck at 60 

That said, my question was why.    It seems that accuracy is the reason.

Thanks all.

I can guarantee you I know several guys and different gun choke combos that will put 13 to all 18 pellets in a 30 inch circle at 70 yrds

2 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

I can guarantee you I know several guys and different gun choke combos that will put 13 to all 18 pellets in a 30 inch circle at 70 yrds

Cool.  I can guarantee you that I know a guy who can shoot into the 4's at 300 yards.  

Did you know Eddie weighed 150 and benched 325, too?

What someone can do isnt what most do.   

Really doesnt change anything either way.    A hell of a lot of buckshot was flung at stuff without knowing much about the pattern and effective range.    Buckshot can easily show crappy patterns with typical gear.  

15 minutes ago, GetOutdoors said:

Cool.  I can guarantee you that I know a guy who can shoot into the 4's at 300 yards.  

Really doesnt change anything either way.    A hell of a lot of buckshot was flung at stuff without knowing much about the pattern and effective range.    Buckshot can easily show crappy patterns with typical gear.  

Correct but it is the shooters responsibility to pattern and find what works best in each gun.  Refusal to try different ammo chokes etc does not imply buckshot is crappy

4 hours ago, GetOutdoors said:

60 yrds beretta extreme a400 plus.  Kicks buck kicker full winchester 3.5 00

Screenshot_20240302_201351_Gallery.jpg

5 hours ago, vdep217 said:

Doesn’t matter, a 3.5” load is only pushing 1000-1200 fps at the muzzle. While you have a denser pattern with more pellets in the load it is still limited to 50yrds max just like a 2 3/4 or 3” load for clean kills

AWM

21 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

Doesn’t matter, a 3.5” load is only pushing 1000-1200 fps at the muzzle. While you have a denser pattern with more pellets in the load it is still limited to 50yrds max just like a 2 3/4 or 3” load for clean kills

Well agree to disagree I know what I have seen with my own eyes and those next to me on stand.   I actually switched to winchester high velocity 15 pellet with a 1450 muzzle velocity though and it patterns just as good

22 hours ago, BHC said:

With the advancement of sabot slugs, improvements of foster slugs, as well as the guns itself, why would anyone consider such a primitive pumpkin ball?

What’s so primitive about them? Guys still shoot patch and ball from muzzleloaders with great success. 

10 hours ago, MGHunter66 said:

I’m not so sure about that. I’ve killed several deer in the 70+ yard range with 3.5” 00 buck and each of them dropped on sight. 

1 hour ago, Shakyjake said:

What’s so primitive about them? Guys still shoot patch and ball from muzzleloaders with great success. 

Because he’s speaking to what the OP is questioning…. pumpkin balls out of a shotgun not muzzy

AWM

I’m not so sure about that. I’ve killed several deer in the 70+ yard range with 3.5” 00 buck and each of them dropped on sight. 

Well I find that hard to believe, at best it’s a spray and pray but if you think that’s ethical well ok then

AWM

11 hours ago, vdep217 said:

Well agree to disagree I know what I have seen with my own eyes and those next to me on stand.   I actually switched to winchester high velocity 15 pellet with a 1450 muzzle velocity though and it patterns just as good

Well I won’t argue but just look at the velocity/energy each .33 cal pellet carries past 50 yrds. Not really a good practice.

AWM

3 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

Well I won’t argue but just look at the velocity/energy each .33 cal pellet carries past 50 yrds. Not really a good practice.

I'm not saying 100 yrds but I have and have seen deer consistently killed on the spot at 75 yrds.  I've patterned extensively and shoot 1/4 inch plywood to see penatration I know exactly what my set up is capable of..

Edited by vdep217

Very different situation. A muzzloader barrel will be uniform in diameter the entire length whereas a shotgun will have some form of choke and that means your pumpkin ball goes through the forcing cone which distorts the round ball making it fly erratically.  Hence why we now have rifled slug barrels and modern sabots.