IGNORED

Why no "pumpkin" balls for deer hunting in NJ?

2 hours ago, vdep217 said:

10 inch group at 40 yrds was good.

That is insanely bad.  lol.   Clearly not a fit.  

Legions of people can beat that with pumpkin ball reloads.   

... and back around we go!

Thanks for the responses.  

.... lol, seems there's some history with some of you guys!  I am new here, and not intending to stir up any shit at all.  I'll save that for the political threads or other websites-  plenty pre-existing shit stirring to last a lifetime elsewhere.

Thanks for all replies, appreciate it.

It occurred to me, that little HS kid who I mentioned earlier may well be a member here now!  he's probably in his 40's!  lol

I grew up where the evolution of Shotgun Shells and types evolved to the Modern Ammo of today. 

Also watched NJDFAG Creat and FU hunting.   Watched as they created laws and regulations so confusing  I wondered if they understood some if any of them. 

Ok, Pumpkin  Ball what are they by definition? A Round Ball for sure.  Legal in NJ under certain uses. such as with black powder GUNS &  Rifles smooth bore or rifled say from 50 cal to 75 cal.

But put a shotgun in the equation that single round ball -pumpkin ball becomes illegal. 

Put a .617  Ball if it even exists into a 20-shot gun it is illegal put it in a Black powder smooth-bore rifle or shotgun it now becomes legal.

Pumpkin Balls were and still are widely used in hunting and personal protection and when used within their capabilities are deadly and accurate.   

Why NJDFAG has an issue with them is anyone's guess. it's a Jersey Thing. :headscratch:

main-qimg-7570592b97dd62a7e787ecf8c9ef2c6a-lq.jpg

main-qimg-1fd89cdad24a5f1fe0e3f2851e94e599-lq.jpg

IMG_20240303_0007.jpg

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

2 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

It’s all I ever heard my NJ buddies’ fathers talk about was pumpkin balls for deer. I’m not sure when the state outlawed them. I’m sure if shotgun manufacturers made a barrel for them with adjustable sights or cantilever scope mounts, one could make an argument to bring them back. 

Yep they sure were made many many years ago and then they made improvements that F Them U  and NJ welcomed Them $$$$$$$$$$$$$

mqdefault.jpg

PR3207N-cva-Accura-LR-X-Patriot-Brown-realtree-Hillside-50-cal-williams-sights_1887x630.webp

40-cal-cva-accura-mr-x-muzzleloader-scope-package-pr3221nsc_1_1770x590.webp

3 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

Don’t get butthurt Toddy.  I knew that would flame the fire.  It ain’t the tool it’s the brains or lack thereof behind the tool. I did speak to all the dog handlers and they did say over 90% of tracks are crossbow hunters….   

it’s also because majority of hunters use the crossbow so majority of calls should be crossbows. I also believe the guys using. compound are actual hunters who practice but who knows because I know a couple guys who wound deer with compound and I know guys with crossbow who take 80 yard shots and wound deer I guess it comes down to the hunter

1 hour ago, GetOutdoors said:

That is insanely bad.  lol.   Clearly not a fit.  

Legions of people can beat that with pumpkin ball reloads.   

... and back around we go!

Thanks for the responses.  

Reloads you can adjust to have some consistency but i can tell you that pumpkin ball reloads to have any consistencywill be sub sonic.   I'm an avid reloader 

4 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

I should add buckshot to list of things I hate. I bet more deer are mortally wounded and never recovered to the overall spray and pray mentality.  Probably as bad as crossbows.  

Well as far as loss rate with buckshot, I don't know of any studies on that. I do believe I have seen a couple of studies on crossbow vs compound bow recovery rates and crossbows were slightly better. So, you can be right about buckshot but your premise about crossbows is not proven. :hmmmer:

I do know that when only buckshot was allowed, I don't remember losing many deer. But, that's me. Can't speak for others. 

Besides, for someone who doesn't use it and doesn't hunt with others that do, how do you come to your conclusions? :whatever:

Edited by archer36

53 minutes ago, 1957Buck said:

Yep they sure were made many many years ago and then they made improvements that F Them U  and NJ welcomed Them $$$$$$$$$$$$$

mqdefault.jpg

PR3207N-cva-Accura-LR-X-Patriot-Brown-realtree-Hillside-50-cal-williams-sights_1887x630.webp

40-cal-cva-accura-mr-x-muzzleloader-scope-package-pr3221nsc_1_1770x590.webp

There is absolutely no part of your post that makes a lick of sense. Part of your issue is your inability to write the English language. The OP asked about why no pumpkin balls in shotguns and you post a musket. Then you infer that NJ made changes to make more money or at least that’s my interpretation. Makes no sense and isn’t true either. 

24 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

We are talking about a single round ball, not a load of much smaller shot. :nonono:

The subject you mentioned was the bore would distort the single ball but if back boarded not an issue I posted just the example sorry if it confused you 

back_bored.jpg.9fdf3ce127060026c240a904321f77d4.jpg

23 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

There is absolutely no part of your post that makes a lick of sense. Part of your issue is your inability to write the English language. The OP asked about why no pumpkin balls in shotguns and you post a musket. Then you infer that NJ made changes to make more money or at least that’s my interpretation. Makes no sense and isn’t true either. 

First, go over your inability of the English language in your post, I mentioned both Smooth Bores as a comparison.  And NJDFAG does make and add to make money Through their admissions. 

19 minutes ago, 1957Buck said:

The subject you mentioned was the bore would distort the single ball but if back boarded not an issue I posted just the example sorry if it confused you 

back_bored.jpg.9fdf3ce127060026c240a904321f77d4.jpg

Still not going to be constant as you will still be throwing the ball into the bore.  Back boring will not do any thing with a pumpkin ball as tge shell dosnt open like that of a shell of shot.  

Think of it like this a rifle round set back off the rifling as apposes to being seated in the rifling when the action is closed.

Rifled slugs stabilize after leaving the bore sabot slugs in a filled barrel start to stabilize in the rifleing

Edited by vdep217

51 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Still not going to be constant as you will still be throwing the ball into the bore.  Back boring will not do any thing with a pumpkin ball as tge shell dosnt open like that of a shell of shot.  

Thanks for the reply I agree in part Roll Crimps are no good in the back boring however I have reloaded many 12  -20 -even 41o Gages with round balls ( AKA Pumpkin balls ) in Winchester shells with Ceased cases and even some with sleeved wads Various powders and loads recommended not experimented.  They were for acquaintances for Shark Bang Sticks,  I also fired them downrange in shotguns with and without back boring with very little change if not Zero changes. all were Hornady Balls. 

And I am not new to reloading done 100s in all 4 gauges some 12 years +  100% with Winchester cases  new and used  

Watch that spelling and grammar:rofl: there is a spelling and grammar cop about  :acclaim:

download (1).jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

6431628116a95_ReloadingGuns.jpg.4a62f69798c0cd54e8d85d4a9b7ed67e.jpg

Edited by 1957Buck