IGNORED

Question for electricians.

Lunatic

I have a 20 amp breaker which feeds my basement. Like basements go all outlets and lights are on it and this was never a problem until now. I now have wood lathe and dust collecting system and when I turn the lathe on high RMP, with dust collector on, I blow the fuse. Is there an easy way to correct this?

I'm not an Electrician but I dabble.  

1.  When you say fuse.  I am assuming you are talking about a breaker?  If it is a fuse you definitely need a panel upgrade.

2. If this was my house I would  run 12-3 wire (red, white black) and have a 4 gang box with 2 separate circuits, one for the lathe, and one for the vac.  You can use the 12/3 as long as the 2 breakers are not on the same side of the panel.

3.  Do you have LED's for lighting?  This will also reduce amperage if needed.  

16 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

@1957Buckwhat is so funny? Not enough capital letters and too much punctuation for you? 

No Just that you would ask a question like that when the amp ratings on all that would Answer it. 

Not to leave out you mention a 20 amp breaker and end with BLOWING A FUSE which is it?  Just Funing alls good. 

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

2 minutes ago, 1957Buck said:

No Just that you would ask a question like that when the amp ratings on all that would Answer it. 

Not to leave out you mention a 20 amp breaker and end with BLOWING A FUSE which is it?  Just Funing alls good. 

If you only sometimes recognized you don’t know or understand everything you could be a wise old man. It would lead you to learning and improving your knowledge. As it is you are just a jolly old man. 

13 minutes ago, tjfslaughter said:

I'm not an Electrician but I dabble.  

1.  When you say fuse.  I am assuming you are talking about a breaker?  If it is a fuse you definitely need a panel upgrade.

2. If this was my house I would  run 12-3 wire (red, white black) and have a 4 gang box with 2 separate circuits, one for the lathe, and one for the vac.  You can use the 12/3 as long as the 2 breakers are not on the same side of the panel.

3.  Do you have LED's for lighting?  This will also reduce amperage if needed.  

While that will work , it hasn’t been legal for years .

circuits are to now have dedicated neutrals un less the breakers are pinned together .

so if he wanted to run a 3 wire and do as you stated he would need to use a 2 pole 20 instead of just using 2 single pole 20 .

Most panels are also not phase dedicated side to side per phase .

its every other breaker on each side that’s a different phase .

Edited by hammer4reel

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

8 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

While that will work , it hasn’t been legal for years .

circuits are to now have dedicated neutrals un less the breakers are pinned together .

so if he wanted to run a 3 wire and do as you stated he would need to use a 2 pole 20 instead of just using 2 single pole 20 .

Most panels are also not phase dedicated side to side per phase .

its every other breaker on each side that’s a different phase .

You lost me after “while that would work”

I’ll get someone to take care of it. It’s beyond my knowledge/ability. 

2 hours ago, Lunatic said:

You lost me after “while that would work”

I’ll get someone to take care of it. It’s beyond my knowledge/ability. 

It used to be legal to share neutrals for multiple circuits . It’s not allowed anymore, unless breakers are pinned together (like a 2 pole breaker ) 

code was changed to make sure someone didn’t get shocked if only turning off 1 circuit , and because many times neutrals  were not spliced , and a device screw was used to carry the neutral through .

also where he said a wire has to be from each side of the panel wasn’t correct .

phases in panel are every other breaker on both sides of the panel .

when you shared a neutral you needed one hot  leg on A phase and one On B phase 

Edited by hammer4reel

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Make sure to pull a permit as Your duty as a tax payer :)  In all seriousness seems like too much power is being drawn from the breaker with both machines running. The lathe I’m sure pulls lots of power and those dust collectors can also. 2 motors running at once.  Whatcha making on the lathe?

Edited by mike033089

4 minutes ago, mike033089 said:

Make sure to pull a permit as Your duty as a tax payer :)  In all seriousness seems like too much power is being drawn from the breaker with both machines running. The lathe I’m sure pulls lots of power and those dust collectors can also. 2 motors running at once.  Whatcha making on the lathe?

Thanks, just turning some wood. Bought it from a member here, it looked like fun so now I’m hooked:-) 

1 hour ago, hammer4reel said:

It used to be legal to share neutrals for multiple circuits . It’s not allowed anymore, unless breakers are pinned together (like a 2 pole breaker ) 

code was changed to make sure someone didn’t get shocked if only turning off 1 circuit , and because many times neutrals  were not spliced , and a device screw was used to carry the neutral through .

also where he said a wire has to be from each side of the panel wasn’t correct .

phases in panel are every other breaker on both sides of the panel .

when you shared a neutral you needed one hot keg on A phase and one On B phase 

Learned something new.  I guess when needed I will pull dedicated 12/2’s from now on.