IGNORED

New Ravin Crossbow Spring Release

BHC

10 hours ago, Lunatic said:

Why no sticks?? Are we replicating hunting situation where sticks are used? 
bet like you mean it. Put up $100 like you have confidence in what you are saying instead of saying your are letting the guy to keep  his money if he gets it done:-)

Exactly.  I won’t even take a rifle shot at 100 yards without my sticks.  But what do I know.  15 years of living in Alaska and hunted that state for almost 40 years off and on I must not know what I’m doing.  And on a side note I have been in Field and Stream 6 times, Outdoor Life once, and American Hunter once.  But again what do I know. 

3 minutes ago, tjfslaughter said:

Exactly.  I won’t even take a rifle shot at 100 yards without my sticks.  But what do I know.  15 years of living in Alaska and hunted that state for almost 40 years off and on I must not know what I’m doing.  And on a side note I have been in Field and Stream 6 times, Outdoor Life once, and American Hunter once.  But again what do I know. 

Well then how the hell did you make such a pathetic shot at 20yrds with your $7,000 xbow that you needed a tracking dog? I don’t give a rip what magazine you were in, means absolutely NOTHING. You can say how wonderful you are at 109yrds but that’s just noise, your thread was proof enough to the contrary 

AWM

11 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

Well then how the hell did you make such a pathetic shot at 20yrds with your $7,000 xbow that you needed a tracking dog? I don’t give a rip what magazine you were in, means absolutely NOTHING. You can say how wonderful you are at 109yrds but that’s just noise, your thread was proof enough to the contrary 

I will take the bait.

1.  My bow was in Superior Wisconsin getting rebuilt.  See post 1 here and it discusses Ravins issues.

2.  I killed 5 bucks this year 4 of them were at least 4,5 years old.  I did shoot one 3.5 year old.

3.  Of the 5 bucks I killed I had to track 1.  Tracking a wounded animal is basic hunting.  It happens.  I did use a dog because I used every method available to track that deer as that is the ethical thing to do.   

4.  After we found that deer even the tracker couldn’t believe how far he went with a perfectly placed shot.  

14 hours ago, Lunatic said:

This part of getting closer to the game is a rule? Law? what is it? Your idea of what it should be and therefore we should all live by what MGHUNTER likes? 
You like to get close I am fine with it. I like them at 35 to 50 yards.
I am glad you recognize the "never take a shot" is ridiculous but it only shows how  ridiculous was your statement in the first palace " Unless you know and have practiced in every variable situation and then have equipment to verify those variables before you’re pulling the trigger"

You’re really thick as a brick aren’t you. It’s not about what “I like”it’s a factual statement about the intent of hunting with archery equipment, seems everyone understands that but you. My statement wasn’t ridiculous, again it was factual, if you don’t think the variables increase beyond 40yrds you simply don’t understand dynamics of archery equipment and potential short falls. I see you like the 35-50yrd shots, maybe if you and your comrades shot a little less distance I wouldn’t keep finding dead deer in the creek like I posted earlier this year in a thread

AWM

3 minutes ago, tjfslaughter said:

I will take the bait.

1.  My bow was in Superior Wisconsin getting rebuilt.  See post 1 here and it discusses Ravins issues.

2.  I killed 5 bucks this year 4 of them were at least 4,5 years old.  I did shoot one 3.5 year old.

3.  Of the 5 bucks I killed I had to track 1.  Tracking a wounded animal is basic hunting.  It happens.  I did use a dog because I used every method available to track that deer as that is the ethical thing to do.   

4.  After we found that deer even the tracker couldn’t believe how far he went with a perfectly placed shot.  

Im not going to argue with you for you are obviously a self proclaimed “Mr Wonderful “😂but I will say #4 is a real hoot😂😂😂😂😂Have a nice day, carry on

AWM

4 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

You’re really thick as a brick aren’t you. It’s not about what “I like”it’s a factual statement about the intent of hunting with archery equipment, seems everyone understands that but you. My statement wasn’t ridiculous, again it was factual, if you don’t think the variables increase beyond 40yrds you simply don’t understand dynamics of archery equipment and potential short falls. I see you like the 35-50yrd shots, maybe if you and your comrades shot a little less distance I wouldn’t keep finding dead deer in the creek like I posted earlier this year in a thread

You need to spend more time in various parts of this country.  A ton of Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, and Moose are taken with bows well past 60 yards every year.  The kill zone on an Elk is roughly 18 inches.  People are killing same animals at 300,yards using Muzzleloaders.  You do what makes you happy and maybe spend less time being a keyboard cowboy. 

6 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

Im not going to argue with you for you are obviously a self proclaimed “Mr Wonderful “😂but I will say #4 is a real hoot😂😂😂😂😂Have a nice day, carry on

Yes.  I posted the truth.  Facts.  It’s part of hunting.  I did everything possible to track that deer and when it decided to swim across a river I lost the blood trail.  But hey.  Again I posted the truth.  You want to be a troll go ahead and troll on. 

Trolls like you are why a lot of people don’t post here.  All you have to do is go to a taxidermy shop and spend a few hours looking around at a crap ton of 150-170 bucks killed right here in this state.  Those hunters don’t post here because they don’t want to be seen or heard or be trolled. 

I post about 1/3rd of my trips on here. 

Holy sh#t this thread is hilarious. How do these get so far off the rails so fast? 

I will play.

“Bowhunting is in fact - dead in NJ”.  Cause of death - allowing crossbows for non-handicap in general archery season.  

The need to get close and DRAW on live game is officially no longer a required skill as it once was. 

Just call it what it is - deer hunting with long range weapons, but it’s not bowhunting. Everything I read here confirms it as if I did not already know. 

It’s legal and now officially the NJ way and as others have said, it has made the deer tracking dogs extremely popular and in high demand.  Darren and others get more thrill out of watching the dogs work and finding that deer at end of the trail - far more joy than the hunter who made a bad shot ever would experience. 

DEER HUNTING in NJ starts in September and ends in February for the most part. “Bowhunting” is optional for those that choose to….

These are basic facts and it’s never going back anymore than compounds would be banned and only traditional would be allowed.

We can argue until blue in the face but this is the way it is and will be. “Ethics” are in the hands of the weapon holder.    

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

5 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

Holy sh#t this thread is hilarious. How do these get so far off the rails so fast? 

I will play.

“Bowhunting is in fact - dead in NJ”.  Cause of death - allowing crossbows for non-handicap in general archery season.  

The need to get close and DRAW on live game is officially no longer a required skill as it once was. 

Just call it what it is - deer hunting with long range weapons, but it’s not bowhunting. Everything I read here confirms it as if I did not already know. 

It’s legal and now officially the NJ way and as others have said, it has made the deer tracking dogs extremely popular and in high demand.  Darren and others get more thrill out of watching the dogs work and finding that deer at end of the trail - far more joy than the hunter who made a bad shot ever would experience. 

DEER HUNTING in NJ starts in September and ends in February for the most part. “Bowhunting” is optional for those that choose to….

These are basic facts and it’s never going back anymore than compounds would be banned and only traditional would be allowed.

We can argue until blue in the face but this is the way it is and will be. “Ethics” are in the hands of the weapon holder.    

While I agree on most points, the same was said when compounds became the weapon of choice.

The only way to get people to sober up about their hunting capabilities is to use a "wounding" fee as is employed by almost every outfitter in the world. You wound it, you pay for it. 

Now, I know this is impossible to enforce while hunting on your own. 

But if it was possible, that would almost eliminate risky shots and increase high percentage shots. 

"Risky" shots are based on the individual's personal and equipment capabilities. It's not all equal. It may be "ethical" for one hunter to shoot at game up to 60 yds and others only 30. The person themselves must know their limitations. 

I am not a good rifle shot. Hardly ever shot over 75 yds with a rifle, slug gun, or M/L. On my first South African Safari, I limited myself to a max of 125 yds. I made 5 one shot kills. I saw guys wounding animals and having to pay the trophy fees. That sobers them up to their reality real quick. There were hunters that cleanly took animals out to 300 yds. Something I would not do. 

This discussion will live forever, just like the fixed vs mechanical broadhead debate. 

Bottom line of this post: No consequences lead to risky behavior by some but that varies from person to person. 

Edited by archer36

1 hour ago, archer36 said:

Bottom line of this post: No consequences lead to risky behavior by some but that varies from person to person. 

Ah but there truly are consequences.  If you make an animal suffer whether it is recovered or not - you damn sure better feel some remorse of the most extreme kind.  You need to feel the pain you caused that animal by your bad decision.  If you do not feel it and feel it quite painfully - you have no business being a hunter.    

that to me is the greatest consequence of - all and there is no fee that would make it hurt worse.

Seen far too many repeat offenders that should not be targeting deer with any weapon because they have no feelings or conscious 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

10 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

Ah but there truly are consequences.  If you make an animal suffer whether it is recovered or not - you damn sure better feel some remorse of the most extreme kind.  You need to feel the pain you caused that animal by your bad decision.  If you do not feel it and feel it quite painfully - you have no business being a hunter.    

that to me is the greatest consequence of - all and there is no fee that would make it hurt worse.

Seen far too many repeat offenders that should not be targeting deer with any weapon because they have no feelings or conscious 

I agree. I would. It's a self-imposed penalty. But the world is made up of all kinds of people. I'm sure not everyone feels like we do. Some people only feel hurt when their pocketbook is affected. 

Edited by archer36