IGNORED

New CVA Accura MRX

nmc02

17 minutes ago, Rjtfd said:

So the guy in Cheyenne said I need 209 magnum primers for the BH209. What’s the difference. 

Large rifle primers are hotter & cleaner. BH209 reps recommended Large rifle primers because they are cleaner & more consistent....lots of opinions. Magnum 209 & Large rifle primers probably same heat, but Large rifle seem cleaner. Certainly not an expert, but read a lot & ask lots of questions. Most seem to agree that all future in lines will use Large rifle primers as an ignition for blackhorn. Not necessary for pellets, as they are more flammable 

1 hour ago, MGHunter66 said:

That’s all you need and you’re good to go

In all seriousness, MG knows much more about powders & hand loading....never loaded any ammo. Bh always say to use 209 magnum primers. However, when speaking to BH Reps, told me to buy a gun that can shot rifle primers because hot & Clean.

Sometimes KISS is best....Keep It Simple Stupid. 

Very happy w my setup and looking forward to hunting w it.

13 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

Though, it's best to use magnum primers.

The only 209 magnum primers I’ve ever seen  are CCI”s. And the federal 209A are a little hotter then then and even hotter than them are Winchester 209. Mainly because of the sizing. Also more than likely if you went with one of them you probably wouldn’t need that prong that o ring you use you’ll see a tighter fit and possibly stop the blow by and will give you more pressure. Just saying. But the o ring is fine I have one gun I need it in

Edited by smittty

10 hours ago, nmc02 said:

In all seriousness, MG knows much more about powders & hand loading....never loaded any ammo. Bh always say to use 209 magnum primers. However, when speaking to BH Reps, told me to buy a gun that can shot rifle primers because hot & Clean.

Sometimes KISS is best....Keep It Simple Stupid. 

Very happy w my setup and looking forward to hunting w it.

In reality rifles primers are not per se’ much hotter but burn longer than 209’s. Rifle primers are meant for slow burning powders and 209 for faster burn rates. BH 209 is slower than traditional black powder but no where near as slow as rifle powder. I myself never had a problem with CCI 209 and blackhorn but using rifle primers definitely can’t hurt I guess. Is it really needed or better? That’s debatable 

AWM

3 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

In reality rifles primers are not per se’ much hotter but burn longer than 209’s. Rifle primers are meant for slow burning powders and 209 for faster burn rates. BH 209 is slower than traditional black powder but no where near as slow as rifle powder. I myself never had a problem with CCI 209 and blackhorn but using rifle primers definitely can’t hurt I guess. Is it really needed or better? That’s debatable 

Not sure if needed. It works and had no problems. Maybe a quick fad. Supposedly, the guys shooting competitively are all using large rifle primers. 

I tried, so far so good (one day of shooting). 

Beating a dead horse, but FOR ME ....no better powder than bh209. I hated pellets because they are dirty and had a hard time w accuracy.

I love bh 209 because it is so clean, which enables me to shoot several shots without swabbing....I know most only take a shot or two.

The only problem I ever had w bh209 was a mistake I made....I was over oiling my barrel, which resulted in a few hangfires.....I do everything in excess!!!

10 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

You are correct rifle primers are the way to go if you can get the conversion for your gun and that will cost and you can’t use them in any gun as of now anyways 

3 minutes ago, smittty said:

You are correct rifle primers are the way to go if you can get the conversion for your gun and that will cost and you can’t use them in any gun as of now anyways 

You can use in several cva rifles as long as you buy conversion kit ($85)....super easy. Switch the firing pin, spring, & o-ring. Literally takes two minutes. Simple. I personally think you will see most future inline rifles using large rifle primers as the ignition source....time will tell.

1 hour ago, nmc02 said:

You can use in several cva rifles as long as you buy conversion kit ($85)....super easy. Switch the firing pin, spring, & o-ring. Literally takes two minutes. Simple. I personally think you will see most future inline rifles using large rifle primers as the ignition source....time will tell.

I’m 2nd year with this rifle and I did not convert anything. I have about 50 shouts through it with 0 issues and zero complaints on performance. 
I see you recommend the conversion, why?

BTW we use the same caliber round, .45, since I use Powerbelts in my .45 rifle 

Edited by Lunatic

21 hours ago, nmc02 said:

I purchased a new CVA Accura MRX after so many ranted & raved...

I converted it to shoot large rifle primers for BH209 (I recommend doing this).

I took 17 shots w BH209, Rifle primers, & barnes 290 TMZ bullets.

Gun is very nice and deadly accurate. Look forward to hunting w it this year.

GL with the new Accura Nick. Agree with the BH, will not use anything else in my Accura. 

When purchased, I had the guy at Stokes bore out the breech plug to allow for the BH/ignition. 

Not 1 issue with CCI 209 primers with it. 

Love the CVA M/R as much as the 220. 

Good choice.

5 minutes ago, LPJR said:

GL with the new Accura Nick. Agree with the BH, will not use anything else in my Accura. 

When purchased, I had the guy at Stokes bore out the breech plug to allow for the BH/ignition. 

Not 1 issue with CCI 209 primers with it. 

Love the CVA M/R as much as the 220. 

Good choice.

Cva sells 209 breech plugs for Blackhorn and they work fine I would not bother with the conversion but some gun you should like a 700 Remington. Then there are guns like the whites the sell a 209 conversion witch is silly because you can’t or should I say shouldn’t use Blackhorn in in that case I would just use a #11 cap. With no conversion 

3 minutes ago, smittty said:

Cva sells 209 breech plugs for Blackhorn and they work fine I would not bother with the conversion but some gun you should like a 700 Remington. Then there are guns like the whites the sell a 209 conversion witch is silly because you can’t or should I say shouldn’t use Blackhorn in in that case I would just use a #11 cap. With no conversion 

That’s what I use CVA breach plug for BH 209