IGNORED

Gone For 2 Months/ Got Within 5 Feet Of Them.

Fred Flintstone

Just had 1 Gobbler and 2 Jake's on my property.  Gone for a full 2 Months. Went out with my Orange Hat on and a meal of unsalted Peanuts.

The Gobbler Ran at me as,I stepped out after exchanging  Eye Contact with me. Stayed out there a few minutes with them around 5 Feet away and did some talking. These Big Birds have a great Memory. Some pics below.

20230815_110153.jpg

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

i know you dont want to hear this but un naturally bringing animals into human settings is not good, no fear of humans and an assosiation of humans with food leads to bad things.  People think it's harmless they see just turkeys or they are just deer.  Aside from the hunting impact there are multiple accounts of turkeys becoming aggressive in developments and even attacking people to the point 8f bring removed relocated or euthanized.   Deer being driven into developments dependendant on food brings higher risk of disease and car accidents involving deer.

Now onto the hunting impacts. Starting with turkeys. You hear complaints of areas void of turkeys that used to have them but you go into the retirement developments and there's a ton of turkeys that have no reason to leave food and cover from predators.( I can bring you to several villages that this is occurring) because alot of residents put out corn and seed to see the deer and turkeys.

Now deer and its along the same lines perfectly good habitat on a wma that buts to one of these developments  guys complain there is no deer but u drive the developments and count hundreds again they have no reason to leave.  You have zones with populations out of control because deer are spending most of their time on unhuntable areas within developments  

We all agree bears shouldn't be fed why because they can be dangerous  but make exceptions for animals we enjoy seeing and don't see as a threat but there are multiple other consequences that we don't realize

Edited by vdep217

33 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

i know you dont want to hear this but un naturally bringing animals into human settings is not good, no fear of humans and an assosiation of humans with food leads to bad things.  People think it's harmless they see just turkeys or they are just deer.  Aside from the hunting impact there are multiple accounts of turkeys becoming aggressive in developments and even attacking people to the point 8f bring removed relocated or euthanized.   Deer being driven into developments dependendant on food brings higher risk of disease and car accidents involving deer.

Now onto the hunting impacts. Starting with turkeys. You hear complaints of areas void of turkeys that used to have them but you go into the retirement developments and there's a ton of turkeys that have no reason to leave food and cover from predators.( I can bring you to several villages that this is occurring) because alot of residents put out corn and seed to see the deer and turkeys.

Now deer and its along the same lines perfectly good habitat on a wma that buts to one of these developments  guys complain there is no deer but u drive the developments and count hundreds again they have no reason to leave.  You have zones with populations out of control because deer are spending most of their time on unhuntable areas within developments  

We all agree bears shouldn't be fed why because they can be dangerous  but make exceptions for animals we enjoy seeing and don't see as a threat but there are multiple other consequences that we don't realize

How about deer baiting? :popcorn:

Who takes deer bait out in the woods far from houses anymore?  Not many.  It's used to lure them into places they otherwise wouldn't naturally travel and away from their natural habitat.  Was here decades before turkeys came into my yard from the woods out back for the huckleberries, acorns from the white oak and pin oak, wild cherry tree berries, bugs, and to sun themselves after a storm.  All natural foods and behavior while they also pick up the bird seed that fell to the ground.  It's what they do besides hitting the cornfields nearby.  Deer will do the same if there are enough foods to sustain them and cover.  I'm not baiting turkeys to lure them in and kill them so someone else won't have a chance in their natural habitat.  The turkeys were born around here and have stuck around here like they would if born anyplace else. They have had a better chance of surviving and reproducing here than they would if out where the other turkeys are getting shot off.    They only come when the natural foods are abundant.  Bird seed isn't enough.  If the place gets too developed to hunt than that's just how it is.  Would you want to pay more for turkey licenses so they can be trapped and stocked into places where they can be hunted?  You want to hunt them like stocked pheasant?

4 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Who takes deer bait out in the woods far from houses anymore?  Not many.  It's used to lure them into places they otherwise wouldn't naturally travel and away from their natural habitat.  Was here decades before turkeys came into my yard from the woods out back for the huckleberries, acorns from the white oak and pin oak, wild cherry tree berries, bugs, and to sun themselves after a storm.  All natural foods and behavior while they also pick up the bird seed that fell to the ground.  It's what they do besides hitting the cornfields nearby.  Deer will do the same if there are enough foods to sustain them and cover.  I'm not baiting turkeys to lure them in and kill them so someone else won't have a chance in their natural habitat.  The turkeys were born around here and have stuck around here like they would if born anyplace else. They have had a better chance of surviving and reproducing here than they would if out where the other turkeys are getting shot off.    They only come when the natural foods are abundant.  Bird seed isn't enough.  If the place gets too developed to hunt than that's just how it is.  Would you want to pay more for turkey licenses so they can be trapped and stocked into places where they can be hunted?  You want to hunt them like stocked pheasant?

The state is already doing it.  My point is th8se residents are deliberately feeding wildlife they have no reason to venture into the woods as they have all they need in the development food water saftey from predators.   I to get deer in my yard and I live a half mile from woods they come in and eat flowers from neighbors etc but they make they're way back into the woods

4 hours ago, Fred Flintstone said:

And Another. Guy working in the sold house across the street just stepped out Shirtless- big Belly hanging out and now the 3 are gone.

20230815_110206.jpg

I guess the neighbor doesn't offer them his nuts. How do the turkeys know the difference between your belly and the neighbor's belly? 

1 hour ago, Greybeard said:

I can bring you to several developments with tons of acres of huntable land around them and are mostly void of deer and turkey but go in the development and there are hundreds in them eating the corn and seeds left out for them

26 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

I can bring you to several developments with tons of acres of huntable land around them and are mostly void of deer and turkey but go in the development and there are hundreds in them eating the corn and seeds left out for them

And there are places void of deer yet you can't walk through a yard without stepping in dung because they are being baited by houses.  It's what NJ has become.   H-U-N-T has been taken out of hunting by the DFG..  

2 hours ago, Greybeard said:

Exactly right. Well Written.  Vdep has brought this up on my Threads a good 4 Times already.

No Hunting down past my Dead End. Some good blocks of separate woods,A creek running through, a grass Sewer Line more then a 1/4 long in the woods-( that,I mow with a hand mower every 2 weeks for the many walkers/ dog walkers- myself included). Water Dept Boss is happy with that as there are 5 Manhole covers on the Sewer Line. There also is a long shut down 1/2 Mile Horse Track. Plenty of Deer and Turkey. Usually  the Turkeys leave for a certain area a 1/2 mile away that contains mega Hickories and White Oaks. Also- No Hunting in this area. 

Many people  enjoy feeding the Turkeys that are born in the area- myself included. 

But,I can see how some Hunters who are not killing any Turkeys in their hunting areas could Hate on it.

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

8 minutes ago, Fred Flintstone said:

Exactly right. Well Written.  Vdep has brought this up on my Threads a good 4 Times already.

No Hunting down past my Dead End. Some good blocks of separate woods,A creek running through, a grass Sewer Line more then a 1/4 long in the woods-( that,I mow with a hand mower every 2 weeks for the many walkers/ dog walkers- myself included). Water Dept Boss is happy with that as there are 5 Manhole covers on the Sewer Line. There also is a long shut down 1/2 Mile Horse Track. Plenty of Deer and Turkey. Usually  the Turkeys leave for a certain area a 1/2 mile away that contains mega Hickories and White Oaks. Also- No Hunting in this area. 

Many people  enjoy feeding the Turkeys that are born in the area- myself included. 

But,I can see how some Hunters who are not killing any Turkeys in their hunting areas could Hate on it.

It's not even about hunting you are doing more harm than good to wild life there is a reason some states font allow it at all.  Just look at holiday city in toms river literally every year they are either trapping and relocating or destroying turkeys

1 hour ago, Greybeard said:

And there are places void of deer yet you can't walk through a yard without stepping in dung because they are being baited by houses.  It's what NJ has become.   H-U-N-T has been taken out of hunting by the DFG..  

That started long before baiting as deer knew food and cover were available in those house areas.  Why do you think ubnj fought so hard to get archery within 150 of dwellings if it wasn't an issue there would have been no need