IGNORED

Am I doing it wrong?

MediocreHunter

This is my first season turkey hunting. I had an A tag and a D tag. I got out three mornings during A, and opening day called in a hen. I heard a lot of gobbles that first day but none actually responded to me. The other days of A week, absolutely nothing.

Now we’re ending the first week of D and so far not even one gobble this week. 

I have tried several strategies at three different public land units in Zone 9. I have a turkey vest and I’ve snuck in about 75 yards from where I think they roost - and some days I have called a lot, some days called a little, some days didn’t really call at all. I tried running and gunning and trying to get a shock gobble with a crow call. I tried still hunting. 

Still haven’t even seen a gobbler. 

1 hour ago, MediocreHunter said:

Now we’re ending the first week of D and so far not even one gobble this week. 

I've only been hunting them for about 10 years, but this has been the quietest last half of the season I can remember. I'm in places where I know there are Toms -- and I'm talking 3 public and 3 private pieces I've been hunting. I know there are birds in and around all of them except one of the public pieces (though I did call in some Toms while crow hunting there last year!). I have heard barely any gobbles in over a week-plus. When I do hear them, they only gobble for about the first 30 to 60 minutes after shooting light and then they shut up the rest of the morning. Most mornings, I'm not hearing anything at all. Maybe the mating season ended much earlier this year so the birds aren't out looking as much compared to years past? I dunno.

You just have to go to where you know there are birds, and then trust that when you call, the birds hear you and hopefully MAY come looking.

I honestly am baffled how to hunt this - I know there are birds, but they are all silent. Maybe try a late morning or early afternoon hunt? I can't do that due to work, but that may be the best way to do it.

I’ll defer to our great @gobblergetter but here’s a decent article I found recently…check out the article bout decoy use too. I messed up today w decoy usage even after I read this article!!  Ugh. Set up in a spot where if they sneak in for a peak…u will see em…another F-up for me today!!  Keep at it…I did everything wrong again in B week and still killed one!!  Good luck!!

https://www.newhuntersguide.com/2023/05/08/ep250-are-you-bad-at-turkey-hunting-try-this/?fbclid=IwAR0uMuPi5a1iR9eOE0lwVP6rvhvwQLMohXS2SBuutwx0BZe9hK_C4d9pDUE&mibextid=Zxz2cZ

I have filled plenty of tags with birds that come in silent. Lots of people think that if they don't hear any birds they aren't there. That is the furthest thing from the truth and the biggest mistake people make while hunting them.

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

56 minutes ago, gobblergetter said:

Patients kills turkeys this late in the season especially .

But to have patients,  you must know they are there.

Can't kill them if they aren't there.

Maybe he's hunting in the wrong place.lol

https://www.nj.com/news/2022/11/wild-turkeys-once-endangered-are-now-booming-in-nj-and-terrorizing-some-neighborhoods.html

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

its not you, its them.  havent heard a thing all am & i know there are birds here.  very little gobbling now.  Keep grindung away & you may get one.  setting up over a known strut area & calling every now & then can be just as productive as run & gun,  more so if they are silent.  that just spooks birds

12 minutes ago, gregtpal said:

had 1 gobble in woods behind me then another from 2 in field that later drifted away.  beautiful morning in the woods.  nice cool breeze keeping the mosquitos at bay.

Thank goodness for thermacell

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

11 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

I've only been hunting them for about 10 years, but this has been the quietest last half of the season I can remember. I'm in places where I know there are Toms -- and I'm talking 3 public and 3 private pieces I've been hunting. I know there are birds in and around all of them except one of the public pieces (though I did call in some Toms while crow hunting there last year!). I have heard barely any gobbles in over a week-plus. When I do hear them, they only gobble for about the first 30 to 60 minutes after shooting light and then they shut up the rest of the morning. Most mornings, I'm not hearing anything at all. Maybe the mating season ended much earlier this year so the birds aren't out looking as much compared to years past? I dunno.

You just have to go to where you know there are birds, and then trust that when you call, the birds hear you and hopefully MAY come looking.

I honestly am baffled how to hunt this - I know there are birds, but they are all silent. Maybe try a late morning or early afternoon hunt? I can't do that due to work, but that may be the best way to do it.

Well at least I am glad to hear it’s not just me getting the silent treatment.

12 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

I heard a gobble this morning.  Kept calling, like every 4 minutes, but only got 1 response of a few clucks.  Pouring rain so I left the field.  Came back up north where it's not raining for a taylor ham egg and cheese sandwich.  Only seen one other vehicle where I was.

17 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

I heard a gobble this morning.  Kept calling, like every 4 minutes, but only got 1 response of a few clucks.  Pouring rain so I left the field.  Came back up north where it's not raining for a taylor ham egg and cheese sandwich.  Only seen one other vehicle where I was.

Fair weather hunter! :P I hope you got soaked down to your drawers!