IGNORED

Dogs and Kids

On 4/21/2023 at 10:16 PM, nmc02 said:

I know many will disagree....kids and pit bulls do not mix. There is NOTHING that will change my mind. Refuse to allow my kids around them. 

There are plenty of breeds of dogs that I would have serious reservations about, not just pit bulls.  German Shepherds, Belgian Malinous(spelling?), Doberman Pischers, Rottweilers, Catahoula Leopard hounds, hounds in general,  Chihuahuas, Akita...the list goes on.   Dogs from these breeds CAN be awesome family pets, but they can also be incredibly dangerous if they are not trained and socialized properly.   The good news for me is that MOST breeds of hunting or retriever dogs have been bred for hundreds of years to work with and for the hunter, so their predatory instincts have been blended with the desire to please their masters and be comfortable with people.   

That all being said, I have had high octane pointers all my life and while I would, and did, trust my dogs around my family,  there were a few over the years that I simply did not trust around strangers, due to their protective nature.  They were great with family, becasue it was THEIR family, but  as far as the rest of the world was concerened...not so much.  I have seen a hard charging 60# pointer lay there  and have an infant(my granddaughter) crawl all over it, poke its fingers literally everywhere(eyes, ears, nose, mouth) and the dog just lay there, because that infant was THEIR baby. and they were in PROTECT mode. When the baby's mother handed her to my wife(grandmother) who was sitting, the dog walked over and calmly laid down on my wife's feet.  He stayed right there until the baby's mother came and took the baby back, then got up and followed.     BUT...  they ARE dogs and you cannot  EVER take that kind of response for granted.  Incidentally, that particular pup was bred  and  born in my home and I raised, trained, hunted and field trialed that dog until he was five, at which time I gave him to my son.  My son's family became HIS family.     

RayG