IGNORED

Shoulder Replacement

NotJust22s

I didn’t want to highjack the knee replacement thread so I figured I start a new one.

Has anyone here had reverse shoulder replacement surgery? Both of my shoulders are destroyed. I’ve been through years of cleaning them up, cortisone, synvisc injections and rotator cuff surgeries. Throw arthritis on top and I’m screwed.

Was just looking for any first hand experience. 

There are a few types of surgery ranging from partial to full replacement so you will need to see which best suits your needs. Compared to the past the surgery has improved with post operative complications like infection in the 5-8% range. Recovery is usually 3-5 weeks with full activity in the 6-8 month range or there about. All that said post operative full range of motion is somewhat rare. A few reasons, generally candidates are usually older with extensive disease such as complete cuff tears, advanced osteoarthritis or infections. The joint is replaced but the supporting musculature basically remains.

Most people are pain free after the surgery which is one of the main goals but range of motion can remain limited however your new range of motion may be an improvement compared to what you have now.

Important that you find a surgeon with extensive experience and good follow up care. You'll find your GP ignorant to post operative complications and care. Not their fault just technology advancing faster then most can grasp. 

Personally the Hospital for Special Surgery would be my choice. Procedures performed there generally set the standard for the rest of the medical world. 

Best of luck 

Wife has had both knees replaced, and didn't wish to have the VERY LONG rehab for shoulder replacement. The doc recommended "reverse shoulder replacement" because rehab time was supposed to be shorter. It sounds silly if you think about "reverse" but she had it done.

Out of hospital the next day....wore a special sling for a week or so and HAS NO MORE PAIN. She says it was the best surgery and rehab she ever had. 

If her other shoulder starts bothering her it will be "reverse" also.

Good Luck in your decision making process

Since we're talking replacements.....Last Thursday I had my Aortic heart valve replaced.  I've noticed an improvement in my breathing under exercise. 5 days later I'm fully recovered and feel great. Morristown Medical Center Heart Hospital is an amazing place. They did 9 Transcatheter  Aortic Valve Replacements that day. Wishing you all a very speedy recovery and a Great Summer.

Damn,, I thought I had problems an I do, but reading some of the posts in the last  year or 2,Wayne, no idea how cripple shot is doing, lady bird ,bushden,Ms.Grit joined AA My brother Graybeard is going to be partly gutted. Well I don't have all those physical complications. My brain that's another matter.

5eea91594dca6834276c1f24.jpg

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

11 hours ago, NotJust22s said:

Thanks crawdad. I had both knees done, at the same time, and it was the best thing I’ve ever done. Had problems since I was a teenager. My shoulder are pretty well destroyed and this is my last option. Nice to hear actual experience. Thanks and your wife sounds like a tough cookie. 

Met you Rick at the man verses trees getogether didn't  meet your wife met your daughter., Sure She'd kick yer butt now, although pretty sure she'd  like to wrestle like the good old days,git er done.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt