IGNORED

What would you do?

deadonshot2

So I have this 8pt who was usually an afternoon visitor but decided he would just be first deer in after dark. He has shown a few mornings like 9am. It is a tough spot to get in the morning and usually only hunt it in afternoons. So my questions are. Do I hunt it in the morning? Or do I get in my climber and move just outside bedding area. The problem is he does not seem to lay his head down in same bedding area. I have one on my left which is closest to stand. One directly in front of me 20p yards or more and one on left about same 20o yards. He mostly comes from left or straight in. But does arrive from right on occasion. Do I stay put or use climber and pick one of the bedding areas? I know the trails he uses from all 3 directions. What would you do?

20221203_171452.jpg

2 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

If you feel you’ll blow deer and him out in the morning then don’t do it. Sometimes you’re better off going in just after first light. Don’t make to much of a ruckus moving stands around this time of year. Have you tried back tracking him with a cam to where he daylights?

I did not back track him because he was solely an afternoon visitor to midnight visit. He changed from that in last 10 days.  He just started the morning visits last 10 days. If I risk morning it would be dark. Once sun is up there is a 1 1/2 yr old doe that is there every morning. I would definitely blow her out. 

5 minutes ago, NotJust22s said:

If you try to get closer in the afternoon and bump him you’re done. They don’t spoke near as bad bumped in the dark

And I only use a light if it a dark forrest. If I have a little moon light I usually do not use any light at all. I just move slow to make sure I stay on trail because it is pretty far back. 

1 minute ago, MGHunter66 said:

You baiting? Is that what he’s coming to or just natural movement? If baiting he may start hitting it just before dark since they are starting to key on food again

The spot is baited. He still seems a little interested in the ladies. He chases them around some before he eats. They usually clear out and come right back after he leaves. In the morning visits he seems like it it is a food stop. 

7 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

Id wait him out in the afternoons, if you think you may bump him in the morning it’ll most likely be game over for the season. Just my opinion

That is what I was thinking but sometimes you just want to take a different approach. I have all 6 afternoons next week, 3 afternoons with shotgun and one afternoon with muzzy following week. That gives me 10 cracks in two weeks for him. Hopefully he slips up.