IGNORED

Deck Repair Question

Nomad

For you carpenters, what’s the best way to tackle a hole like this. Rip out the whole board and put a new one in or cut a short one and patch it in?  Deck is 25 years old.Thanks. 

F877F97C-622F-4A6F-A3C9-42D4A6662D09.jpeg

Edited by Nomad

1 minute ago, Greg said:

replace whole board, otherwise you'll be looking at the extra cut lines wishing you did the whole board

That was going to be my next question, how do I cut the lines nice and even and make it look good. LOL thanks I’ll replace the whole board

replace the whole board. but when you install the new board make sure the crown is down. otherwise its gonna "cup" and look like hell. 

if screws are stripped. cut them flush with a sawzall or use easy outs. 

if all the screws come out nicely, dont use the same screw holes when you install the new piece. find another spot to screw it down even if its a couple inches away. 

3 minutes ago, Kype said:

replace the whole board. but when you install the new board make sure the crown is down. otherwise its gonna "cup" and look like hell. 

if screws are stripped. cut them flush with a sawzall or use easy outs. 

if all the screws come out nicely, dont use the same screw holes when you install the new piece. find another spot to screw it down even if its a couple inches away. 

Thanks, but the boards are held down with nails

Not one loose board after 25 years with the nails. I didn’t build the deck it was here when I bought the house.

Edited by Nomad

Looks like they used a nail gun all the nails are about an eighth of an inch below the surface of the wood. I used a hammer and cat claw to loosen the nails and then rip the board up

Edited by Nomad

1 minute ago, trapoholic said:

Replace entire board. Before installing look at the growth rings on the edge of the board. they should look like the top half of a ball. If you install with rings looking like a happy face- that is incorrect.

I got lucky with the ones I did already only one happy face

image.jpg