IGNORED

i want to move my oil tank

Kype

as of now its in my basement taking up much needed space. i am getting close to replacing the tank and i want to buy a double wall tank and have it installed outside (above ground). i can pour the concrete pad for the tank to sit on. and will plant some arbors around it to hide it. 

ball park price for this to happen? 

and no im not switching to natural gas. my current oil burner is only a couple years old and i dont mind filling the tank only 2 times a year. my main heat source is my woodstove. 

i just want more space in my basement. the new tank would sit directly in the same spot as it is now but instead of it being inside, it would be outside. 

27 minutes ago, Kype said:

as of now its in my basement taking up much needed space. i am getting close to replacing the tank and i want to buy a double wall tank and have it installed outside (above ground). i can pour the concrete pad for the tank to sit on. and will plant some arbors around it to hide it. 

ball park price for this to happen? 

and no im not switching to natural gas. my current oil burner is only a couple years old and i dont mind filling the tank only 2 times a year. my main heat source is my woodstove. 

i just want more space in my basement. the new tank would sit directly in the same spot as it is now but instead of it being inside, it would be outside. 

Last time I bought the tank I think it was like 1500 bucks. Labor wise depends who u get I'd expect close to the same. Is current tank empty?

9 minutes ago, Coyoteslayer said:

Last time I bought the tank I think it was like 1500 bucks. Labor wise depends who u get I'd expect close to the same. Is current tank empty?

no, the tank is full. i can pump the heating oil into a reserve tank until the install is finished. i have specific pumps built for pumping oils and flammable liquids

If you have access to natural gas, make the switch, for many reasons it's worth the expense. My nephew has a brand new, top of the line double wall tank for sale. As he was converting from old in ground tank, his town ( Flanders ) decided to put in Gas lines.

Switch to gas with current oil prices it will pay for itself fast .  Moving an oil tank especially if you go with Roth tank double wall  with cover is going be expensive . Having an oil tank outside is not the best idea I have seen many jell up in severe cold weather . 

26 minutes ago, electricstart said:

Switch to gas with current oil prices it will pay for itself fast .  Moving an oil tank especially if you go with Roth tank double wall  with cover is going be expensive . Having an oil tank outside is not the best idea I have seen many jell up in severe cold weather . 

Had an outside tank years ago,lot of problems, switched to gas, best thing i ever did

Switch to gas.  I burn wood but have a heat pump as backup to 36 degrees then oil as my third source.  No chance gas will ever come down my road.  Lots of options to finance gas install with the companies for no extra cost.  Everyone’s right about the cost will pay for itself within a couple years.  Some units you can also chAnge some parts and convert it to gas vs swapping the whole unit.  Gas line is even run for free sometimes if they know your changing utilities.  No more electric stove or dryer either 

Edited by mike033089

25 minutes ago, mike033089 said:

Switch to gas.  I burn wood but have a heat pump as backup to 36 degrees then oil as my third source.  No chance gas will ever come down my road.  Lots of options to finance gas install with the companies for no extra cost.  Everyone’s right about the cost will pay for itself within a couple years.  Some units you can also chAnge some parts and convert it to gas vs swapping the whole unit.  Gas line is even run for free sometimes if they know your changing utilities.  No more electric stove or dryer either 

Agree, weigh the options, Elizabethtown gas.

https://ecode360.com/14770685

https://www.elizabethtowngas.com/residential/energy-savings

Edited by hunterbob1

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

I had an above ground tank get a pin hole leak in the bottom and leak out all of my heating oil over night.  The tank wasn't even old.  Lets just say it cost me a fortune to clean up once the DEP got wind of it.  Absolute nightmare and a pure money grab on everyones part involved! I would have rather the house blow up from a gas leak :rofl:.  Switched to gas as soon as the nightmare was over.

11 minutes ago, NJDeerNBeer said:

I had an above ground tank get a pin hole leak in the bottom and leak out all of my heating oil over night.  The tank wasn't even old.  Lets just say it cost me a fortune to clean up once the DEP got wind of it.  Absolute nightmare and a pure money grab on everyones part involved! I would have rather the house blow up from a gas leak :rofl:.  Switched to gas as soon as the nightmare was over.

The Oil cleanup process is a joke. I've seen a job where it leaked  into the neighbors yard. Neighbors just had a new pool installed. Epa could care less dig it up and you're paying for it. 

11 minutes ago, Coyoteslayer said:

The Oil cleanup process is a joke. I've seen a job where it leaked  into the neighbors yard. Neighbors just had a new pool installed. Epa could care less dig it up and you're paying for it. 

Yep, it cost me over 20k to dig up the "contaminated soil" and replace with fill dirt.  Its all paperwork and BS they have you by the balls.  Rush you to get it done as quickly as possible.  I wouldn't wish it on anyone.  I just blew my whole load buying my first house and dumping money into it.  I had only been there 6 months and that happened. I  didn't have the money to pay to get it all removed so had to do it in two phases.  Had the contaminated soil sitting on a tarp in the yard for months....The whole thing was a joke.